2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
At any given time, success in football is about playing to the team’s strengths.

Benitez has signalled that’s what he intends to do, by pinging more balls at Dom and Richy’s heads.

Personally, I’m all for that simple pragmatism. Especially if there’s such little room for manoeuvre in the transfer market this term.

Pragmatism is good. But playing a certain way week in and week out to get our goals is not clever.

I think we might see us adding options by the time the window closes.

...he actually should score more with his head given the chances he gets from the ton of crosses coming his way.

And is 32% of goals scored with the head not a little high for a PL stirker? It feels like it. I dont know how Ild find that answer so I'll hope others provide it, but it seems very high as a proportion.

Overall my question is about varying our attack and not crossing as much. Class teams will deal with that easy enough and we need another string to our bow. Doucoure running at them from midfield and a CM who can thread a forwatrd pass would help us no end.
It's his strength though. Probably the best header in the league so we should take advantage of that. I agree we should vary our attacks and we did today. DCL is one string to the teams bow and it should be a threat that occupies opponents because other opportunities pop up when we do the unexpected

Pragmatism is good. But playing a certain way week in and week out to get our goals is not clever.

I think we might see us adding options by the time the window closes.
Music to my ears.
We need different ways to attack and I think we will try and add another different option. You need variation.

...he actually should score more with his head given the chances he gets from the ton of crosses coming his way.

And is 32% of goals scored with the head not a little high for a PL stirker? It feels like it. I dont know how Ild find that answer so I'll hope others provide it, but it seems very high as a proportion.

Overall my question is about varying our attack and not crossing as much. Class teams will deal with that easy enough and we need another string to our bow. Doucoure running at them from midfield and a CM who can thread a forwatrd pass would help us no end.
Only you could complain at how goals are scored. He could score 30goals a season with his head and you would moan he didn’t score with his feet.
Who cares aslong as he’s hitting the back of the net.

DCL is really going to benefit from having Benitez as manager, he will get us working in his favour.
That's exactly what ancelotti did at the start of last season. Working in DCLs favour. And he scored loads.

Then we stopped playing like that and Ancelotti couldn't be arsed anymore, and weirdly, DCL stopped scoring as much. But by many on here, that was DCLs fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.