2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

We should do that more like against Newcastle or Villa, we have really slow wingers, but DCL and Beto are fairly fast, won't work against park the bus a lot.

Teams have cottoned on mate, the Fulham's, Wolves, Palaces and WHU of the world have learned if you give Everton the ball, we dont have the players to break them down and if you get a chance you can take it - so its proved. Even Utd did it last weekend at OT.

We're more effective when teams play a possession based game, as we have a good press, the likes of Brighton, Brentford, Bournmouth etc.

Last edited:
As well as the above, you also have to accept Dom is in a woeful run of form, his XG is ridiculous for his goal return - its really bad, XG is also based statistically on the quality of the chance, vs how frequently other PL strikers would convert a similar quality chance.

Interestingly Tarkowski's XG is really bad as well.

Two of the worst in the league.

Well considering we're playing direct no idea why Doucoure isn't the one running that channel - it would make logical and training ground sense, if we want to persist wtih this.
It's a tactical problem resulting the CAM and Wings dropping too deep in defense. Personally I would adress Doucoure for the long balls as he is good at winning air duels, and lay it back to the wings/full backs or 2 DMs to give DCL more freedom to be in the box for crosses or run deep. It would be feasible, but not the way we approach it on the pitch rn.

In the end he still had a lot of chances that he missed in the last 20+ games, but surely gave us more options to work with in the build up.

Teams have cottoned on mate, the Fulham's, Wolves, Palaces and WHU of the world have learned if you give Everton the ball, we dont have the players to break them down and if you get a chance you can take it - so its proved. Even Utd did it last weekend at OT.

We're more effective when teams play a possession based game, as we have a good press, the likes of Brighton, Brentford, Bournmouth etc.

Exactly why our home run of games in the run in has concerned me for a while.

Sprinkle in our players crumbling at home whenever the onus is on them and its a worry.

Well obviously, it's always easier to find gaps vs teams that try to play rather than to defend. I think that's a big job getting better players in there as well to take on defenders and force them to mistakes, the Garnacho profile of players and Harrison and McNeil are far from that profile. Something that Pep or SAF couldn't compensate. Or probably we need to set up differently in these type of games with Danjuma/Patterson/Gomes/Dobbin/Chermiti...

The team was a lot better then if he just stands in the box waiting for great deliveries to come to him now he's going to be waiting a long time. That tactic also only worked for about 10 games which everyone always seems to forget.
Nobody is saying just stand in the box permanently. Just that being in the box should be his number one priority. He spends 75% of his time chasing down balls and when he does eventually get a chance he is that desperate he flunks it. Carlo recognised this and that he also misses a lot of chances so it stands to reason that if he makes himself available for more chances then he will eventually put some of them away and will score more. If we want to get the best out of him then that is what he needs to do. He will never be a Lukaku and will always frustrate and miss more than he scores but if he misses 9 and scores 1 then that will be better than we currently have i.e zero.

It's a tactical problem resulting the CAM and Wings dropping too deep in defense. Personally I would adress Doucoure for the long balls as he is good at winning air duels, and lay it back to the wings/full backs or 2 DMs to give DCL more freedom to be in the box for crosses or run deep. It would be feasible, but not the way we approach it on the pitch rn.

In the end he still had a lot of chances that he missed in the last 20+ games, but surely gave us more options to work with in the build up.

I think to do something like that mate, you have to drop Garner, Docoure is to important in the press so you'd have to compensate, for his legs, Idrissa but also physicality - Onana, as game as Garner is. , The Duke is a monster to get around or out duel - bit of a waste, just for knocking ball down, as much as im a fan Garner has looked a bit jaded to me.

You know would/could Dele - knit it better - and support the play - big ask hes been nearly a year out, but we're getting close to magic game 31/32.

Nobody is saying just stand in the box permanently. Just that being in the box should be his number one priority. He spends 75% of his time chasing down balls and when he does eventually get a chance he is that desperate he flunks it. Carlo recognised this and that he also misses a lot of chances so it stands to reason that if he makes himself available for more chances then he will eventually put some of them away and will score more. If we want to get the best out of him then that is what he needs to do. He will never be a Lukaku and will always frustrate and miss more than he scores but if he misses 9 and scores 1 then that will be better than we currently have i.e zero.
Its not that easy you're missing the point that we don't have the same quality. The tactics are what they are partly because of that because we don't have the quality on the ball to pass it round and create space and opportunities and we don't have individual class to run with the ball or find great passes so we can't afford to have a striker not getting involved in the build up play because that will just leave us even worse off than we are its just total lack of awareness to think we can just have a striker strolling round waiting to get chances the whole team has to put a massive shift in just to keep us in games we really are that bad.

Well obviously, it's always easier to find gaps vs teams that try to play rather than to defend. I think that's a big job getting better players in there as well to take on defenders and force them to mistakes, the Garnacho profile of players and Harrison and McNeil are far from that profile. Something that Pep or SAF couldn't compensate. Or probably we need to set up differently in these type of games with Danjuma/Patterson/Gomes/Dobbin/Chermiti...

Danjuma is an interesting one, he has a bit of chaos about him, hes direct and has a bit of X, but he can also under mine or drift in my opinion.

The rest are a mixed bag, of i think in game value, depending on the game, but not real options in terms of influencing results consistently over all - defo 20 min options, for one reason or another.

Its not that easy you're missing the point that we don't have the same quality. The tactics are what they are partly because of that because we don't have the quality on the ball to pass it round and create space and opportunities and we don't have individual class to run with the ball or find great passes so we can't afford to have a striker not getting involved in the build up play because that will just leave us even worse off than we are its just total lack of awareness to think we can just have a striker strolling round waiting to get chances the whole team has to put a massive shift in just to keep us in games we really are that bad.
Everyone knows we are crap but it doesn't change the fact that we are 2nd and above both City and the RS for crosses this season and out of the 582 crosses and all of the other opportunities not counted as crosses, our main striker Dom has had a measly 52 shots and only 18 of them were on target and zero headed goals. It couldn't be any more obvious that he needs to be on the end of more chances and he will then score more goals. Dyche needs to find a way to do that or he will continue to struggle.

Everyone knows we are crap but it doesn't change the fact that we are 2nd and above both City and the RS for crosses this season and out of the 582 crosses and all of the other opportunities not counted as crosses, our main striker Dom has had a measly 52 shots and only 18 of them were on target and zero headed goals. It couldn't be any more obvious that he needs to be on the end of more chances and he will then score more goals. Dyche needs to find a way to do that or he will continue to struggle.
I don't think thats anything to do with him spending time outside the box though thats far more to do with us not producing great quality crosses and also him not getting on the end of crosses when they occasionally are quite good. He could easily have 8 to 10 goals now based on the chances he has had and we would be saying he's having a good season but unfortunately he keeps missing the chances so we're talking about that instead. Obviously there are loads of things we could get better at and one of them is making sure he gets so many chances that it doesn't matter if he misses 90% of them because the 10% he scores will be enough but then again another one is him improving on the 10% he does score (or 0% for the last 20 something games).

I don't think thats anything to do with him spending time outside the box though thats far more to do with us not producing great quality crosses and also him not getting on the end of crosses when they occasionally are quite good. He could easily have 8 to 10 goals now based on the chances he has had and we would be saying he's having a good season but unfortunately he keeps missing the chances so we're talking about that instead. Obviously there are loads of things we could get better at and one of them is making sure he gets so many chances that it doesn't matter if he misses 90% of them because the 10% he scores will be enough but then again another one is him improving on the 10% he does score (or 0% for the last 20 something games).
He will never improve on his scoring stats. It is all he has ever been capable of. He will miss a lot more than he scores. Out of his 52 shots and 18 on target he has scored 3 of them which is about normal for his capabilities. The only way he scores more goals is if he gets more chances which means getting him in the box more often. He will still miss loads but his probability of scoring increases. Carlo knew it which was why that was his only good season of scoring for us.

Never rated him and never considered him a worthy number 9 tbh but that is where the club is at these days.

He will never improve on his scoring stats. It is all he has ever been capable of. He will miss a lot more than he scores. Out of his 52 shots and 18 on target he has scored 3 of them which is about normal for his capabilities. The only way he scores more goals is if he gets more chances which means getting him in the box more often. He will still miss loads but his probability of scoring increases. Carlo knew it which was why that was his only good season of scoring for us.

Never rated him and never considered him a worthy number 9 tbh but that is where the club is at these days.
I suppose I just don't really understand why the solution to him not scoring enough needs to be that all the other players improve instead of just he improves but thats probably just me.

I suppose I just don't really understand why the solution to him not scoring enough needs to be that all the other players improve instead of just he improves but thats probably just me.
Nah it's not just you mate. They all need to improve and some aren't even capable of it.