2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just take all the emotion out of it. PL goals below.

2016/17 - 1
2017/18 - 4
2018/19 - 6
2019/20 - 13
2020/21 - 16
2021/22 - 5
2022/23 - 2
2023/24 - 7

His highest number of PL starts in a season is 32. Since his injury he’s gone 15, 15 and then 26 starts this season.

He’s a decent player Calvert Lewin and I like him, and it’s unquestionable that the current team plays better with him in, but he’s not the only striker in the world who could play for Everton. Losing Lukaku was a much bigger hit, I’d argue even losing Richarlison was worse than losing DCL. We’ve lost forwards before and always find a way. If it means Beto Chermiti and a new signing to replace DCL then so be it if he does want to move on.

So he signs a new contract before end of up coming transfer window or he is sold. Just about going to be at his best age wise... but yeah the injuries!

He is a confidence player, Dom. When confident, he is very good. When no, he can be very mediocre. Latter part of this season, he was very good.

Also new contract, please.

I believe his mind would have been made up to leave after getting booed off at Villa for being injured. Don't say this lightly but that was one day I was absolutely disgusted in Evertonians....that was the very worst of the fanbase on display.

One of my regrets is being there and not doing anything about it, as I could see some of the booers in my section

I was too much of a coward to say anything though, which is why these goobs get away with it

As I said before Iwobi fee would be as good as it gets.

A player who'll always divide opinion on here and in the pubs. Was quality in the 18 months under Carlo but injuries and living on that reputation since albeit he had some good games in season run ins like Brighton 5-1.

Last Goodison goal being the effective derby winner not a bad way to go out.
Better than Ferguson?

One of my regrets is being there and not doing anything about it, as I could see some of the booers in my section

I was too much of a coward to say anything though, which is why these goobs get away with it
Mate it would have been pointless...it was more than just the odd boo,it was half the away end. So much so his arl fella took to social media to defend him.

Like any dad he will be telling his son to look elsewhere for a new start and look for a club where hebcan concentrate on his football and not worry about getting leathered for going off injured.

Does the 25 mill save us from FFP?

If he isn't signing a new contract then he has to go
The more I think about it, the more I think this is the rare situation where it makes sense to run it down.

We're likely to turn a big financial corner when we have stadium revenue and can refinance high-interest debt. Thats tens of millions of pounds on both counts, plus the end of the stadium cash bleed forcing player sales. That can do work on squad quality.

The one thing that can screw that up is getting relegated next season. Dom's goal tally may have been anemic, but he still chipped in a fifth of the goals in a sub-40-goal season.

I'm not sure I want someone whose start numbers look like Yerry's under contract for five more years. I am sure I want his goal tally next season. If we score less than 30, we're dead meat, and I don't see where we'll be adding goals to the squad.

If he won't extend or the club does not like the terms, I think we just eat the one-time hit. He'll be in the shop window for a big Bosman contract, so there's no risk of downed tools.

Think if he goes and he’s not adequately replaced we go down.

If we started Beto or Chermiti and improved at right back and another area it may counterbalance it.

The flip side of that position however is that IF Maupay stays then one of Beto or DCL (or Doucouré, if the idea is going to be that Maupay plays as a second striker) has to be sold. We simply can't keep paying out the salaries we are currently.

My gut feeling is that DCL's future was determined a year ago. A conversation along the lines of "give us one more year and then we won't stand in the way of a transfer" has, I suspect, been had. If not, then the Beto purchase simply makes no sense because it's too much of a fee for a team with our perilous finances to pay for someone that age to sit on the bench and get barely 1000 minutes per season.

One of Beto and DCL needs to go. Unless we're considering a tactical tweak where Doucouré leaves and one of Beto, DCL Maupay and Chermiti is being considered to start 30 games per season as a second striker?

Personally Id hope we can sell Maupay and Beto...as well as DCL.

Don’t be ridiculous. You don’t swap Isak for DCL. Isak isn’t going anywhere.

Wilson going would mean DCL replaces him. Isak is a different kettle of fish

Just take all the emotion out of it. PL goals below.

2016/17 - 1
2017/18 - 4
2018/19 - 6
2019/20 - 13
2020/21 - 16
2021/22 - 5
2022/23 - 2
2023/24 - 7

His highest number of PL starts in a season is 32. Since his injury he’s gone 15, 15 and then 26 starts this season.

He’s a decent player Calvert Lewin and I like him, and it’s unquestionable that the current team plays better with him in, but he’s not the only striker in the world who could play for Everton. Losing Lukaku was a much bigger hit, I’d argue even losing Richarlison was worse than losing DCL. We’ve lost forwards before and always find a way. If it means Beto Chermiti and a new signing to replace DCL then so be it if he does want to move on.

If we sell DCL on June 1st for £25mil and all cash up front + perhaps a couple of 'success' or 'appearance' clauses on top then with only a year left + injury and goalscoring issues it looks sensible.

PSR may be settle in our favour with that £25mil coming in.

Then all eyes will be on the tournament with Branthwaite, Onana and Pickford hoping to star. Enzo went to Chelsea based on a great tournament so the Everton bet may be that one of those three sees an obscene bid.

However, by then we may have new owners or be close to new owners so they may not want certain players sold.

Sensible to tick off the PSR box.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the rare situation where it makes sense to run it down.

We're likely to turn a big financial corner when we have stadium revenue and can refinance high-interest debt. Thats tens of millions of pounds on both counts, plus the end of the stadium cash bleed forcing player sales. That can do work on squad quality.

The one thing that can screw that up is getting relegated next season. Dom's goal tally may have been anemic, but he still chipped in a fifth of the goals in a sub-40-goal season.

I'm not sure I want someone whose start numbers look like Yerry's under contract for five more years. I am sure I want his goal tally next season. If we score less than 30, we're dead meat, and I don't see where we'll be adding goals to the squad.

If he won't extend or the club does not like the terms, I think we just eat the one-time hit. He'll be in the shop window for a big Bosman contract, so there's no risk of downed tools.

It would be a sackable offence if we allowed DCL to run down his contract.

£25mil is a lot of money and would mean another player has to be sold to satisfy PSR.

For Pickford, Branthwaire and Onana its also more sensible to see how their values look after the euros.

No substance at all. Just a very weird poster. If people comment in the doucoure thread nobody is accused of hating him.
Some bizare reason they cant handle he's not rated like they rate him. So they chuck out this hate nonsense.

Predictably I’ve received no response to the question. A shame if he’s thrown a grenade in your direction and then bottled giving an actual explanation what was meant.

Personally I’ve only ever seen you critique DCL’s performances on the pitch and not really seen anything sinister, if I’m wrong about that then it would be helpful to see some examples.

He is a confidence player, Dom. When confident, he is very good. When no, he can be very mediocre. Latter part of this season, he was very good.

Also new contract, please.

Id say thats fair. But the club cant keep relying on him turning up for half a dozen games here and there. If you were in the market for a new striker and told he'd scored 8 goals from open play in 3 years you'd run a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back