2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

I read this quote from Rooney about Rashford and I think it could apply to Dom

"I don't think we created that many chances for him."

"But I do think he needs to be more ruthless, he needs to be a bit more patient and stay in the middle of the goal."
The main bits are yes he should be more ruthless(DCL) nobody disputes that but staying in the middle was when he is at his best in my opinion.

He's too isolated as well but he just needs a goal and I'm sure confidence will return. He needs to start slotting soon to justify starting all the time.

I read this quote from Rooney about Rashford and I think it could apply to Dom

The main bits are yes he should be more ruthless(DCL) nobody disputes that but staying in the middle was when he is at his best in my opinion.

He's too isolated as well but he just needs a goal and I'm sure confidence will return. He needs to start slotting soon to justify starting all the time.
I believe that was Carlo's view on how to get the best out of him, with the midfeld getting dangersous balls into the penalty area.

As you say this is not how Dyche is setting things up. Let's hope that that he can find a way to get the goals coming again. 👍

Get Big Dunc back when he gets fired from Inverness. He’s the only one that could get anything useful out of DCL, who knows? He might even make Beto into a footballer.

I believe that was Carlo's view on how to get the best out of him, with the midfeld getting dangersous balls into the penalty area.

As you say this is not how Dyche is setting things up. Let's hope that that he can find a way to get the goals coming again. 👍
Many days have passed since then. We no longer have someone of the quality of James to supply the chances and DCL has had several long term injuries since then so it's debatable whether he could even make the most of them now anyway.

The past is the past and the reality is he's not currently scoring, nor looking very likely to do so when he does get decent chances.

Many days have passed since then. We no longer have someone of the quality of James to supply the chances and DCL has had several long term injuries since then so it's debatable whether he could even make the most of them now anyway.

The past is the past and the reality is he's not currently scoring, nor looking very likely to do so when he does get decent chances.
By that token though, many days had passed prior to Carlo taking over. I agree that James was a huge attacking asset but he was only with us for one season. The factor that coincided with his improvement was Carlo and how he played him.

The reality is that non of the team are looking like scoring at present, even when they have chances.

the attack players don't support him enough

he's isolated up top most of time trying to get something on pickfords long kicks up the pitch

something like this would probably be better for him

---------------------------DCL-------------------------------

-----------------McNeil------------Doucoure----------------

Mykolenko--------Onana---------Garner------------Harrison

--------------Branthwaite--Tark---Coleman----------------

---------------------------Pickford------------------------------

the attack players don't support him enough

he's isolated up top most of time trying to get something on pickfords long kicks up the pitch

something like this would probably be better for him

---------------------------DCL-------------------------------

-----------------McNeil------------Doucoure----------------

Mykolenko--------Onana---------Garner------------Harrison

--------------Branthwaite--Tark---Coleman----------------

---------------------------Pickford------------------------------
A back 3 (or 5) doesn't usually end well for us though

I suppose DCL’s influence in the dressing room has to be taken into account.
Just think about what has happened to Tom Davies since he is no longer under DCL’s sartorial tutelage.

47346BF2-00E4-4063-BAF1-6E9DAC161162.jpeg

it seems we either stick with a solid defence and an impotent attack or we take a risk which could lead to a weaker defence but a better attack
Not a great choice is it but we are where we are. Perhaps our manager needs to be braver in games we could win and play a back 3 or 5 and then revert to a 4 and try for a draw or nick a win in games against the better teams.

Dyche has to decide whether to rest DCL & try a different formation -on Saturday in a must win game - Onana has stated DCL he's a damn good midfielder in training - he at least has speed & can hold the ball up - Play Beto or Chemitti upfront & sacrifice a winger as we just don't have pace in the midfield - Playing DCL a bit deeper may work or just see if Dyche can select a winning formation - we need goals not just from set pieces - Onana they reckon is 50-50 with a slight groin strain - Gana definitely out .....

I just want Dobbin to come on instead of Ashley Young too ....

Dyche has to select a winning team on Saturday to pull us further away from relegation trouble

Or Digne or the babysitter

We forget that we weren’t always crap.

It’s not as though he doesn’t get chances. He’s missing at least one sitter every game. That’s all you really get when you’re not playing for one or the top 6. He needs to just finish simple chances a lot better, he’s nowhere near serious enough about his finishing. How many times does he have that ridiculous ‘how did I miss that’ look on his face when he’s ballooned one over an open net. Just roll it in and stop finding stupid ways to miss.

Dyche has to decide whether to rest DCL & try a different formation -on Saturday in a must win game - Onana has stated DCL he's a damn good midfielder in training - he at least has speed & can hold the ball up - Play Beto or Chemitti upfront & sacrifice a winger as we just don't have pace in the midfield - Playing DCL a bit deeper may work or just see if Dyche can select a winning formation - we need goals not just from set pieces - Onana they reckon is 50-50 with a slight groin strain - Gana definitely out .....

I just want Dobbin to come on instead of Ashley Young too ....

Dyche has to select a winning team on Saturday to pull us further away from relegation trouble

Thats a hell of a lot of moving around there joey just to accomodate a player. Dropping calvert lewin into midfield is a desperate sign. How about giving him 45 minutes to turn up and if he hasnt again then giving Beto more than 5 or 10 minutes.
If either get a few chances( that they have been) and we're still on 4 goals between them for the whole season is it not just time we accept we've got goal shy strikers.
Ive a bit more sympathy for Beto as he only gets 10 minutes here and there most of the time.
Ive read and listened to the cases for and against. The bottom line is 4 goals from your forwards by march is embarrassing. Its not all on dyche this.