2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, where Zat has a point is that if there is no prospect of him renewing we are faced with a straight choice between 25m (plus the wages saved) or one more year of DCL it's a valid way to look at it that you'd be effectively paying 25m for a 1 year loan of DCL.

And if you frame it that way it would be madness to do so. And if you did want to lash 25m at a striker for a single year in all likelihood you could do better, it's just that you never would.

He either signs a new contract or he's sold, I've said the same for ages.

I just don't understand how anyone can think we'd get some class striker in for £25m since that's the price of a Beto these days...

I just don't understand how anyone can think we'd get some class striker in for £25m since that's the price of a Beto these days...

DCL is going for £25m though?

£25m is not “the price of a Beto”. It’s only us that pay these fees for crap players. With proper scouting you wouldn’t buy Beto’s for £25m, that’s why nobody else does.

To be fair, where Zat has a point is that if there is no prospect of him renewing we are faced with a straight choice between 25m (plus the wages saved) or one more year of DCL it's a valid way to look at it that you'd be effectively paying 25m for a 1 year loan of DCL.

And if you frame it that way it would be madness to do so. And if you did want to lash 25m at a striker for a single year in all likelihood you could do better, it's just that you never would.
I think most would rather see him sold this Summer than walk away on a free next season.

I know 1 or 2, like @GrandOldTeam have pointed out that they would rather have him play, 25m is nothing compared to relegation.

I feel like everybody has lost their head over a rumour from what I recall is a very bad source.

So theres every chance he signs a new contract still.

If we can add some "better" forward players and a midfielder who can thread a ball, he could fly next season.

But if hes moved on, it is what it is.

I'm not sure you two are disagreeing as much as you think you are then, unless I'm reading things wrong. You both seem to agree (as do I) that effectively spending 25m for one year of DCL would be madness, as would spending 25m for one year of anyone.

Where I agree with Zat is just that if we were to do so (which we wouldn't) we probably could get a better option for a single year. And that kind of cancels out the argument some (not you) are making that DCL's contribution is worth us sacrificing the money for.

Udinese paid 4m for Beto 12months prior to Everton dropping 25m on him.

ITs easy when you scout players, something we have failed to do since Moyes was here.
We were linked with Mateta for 10m last summer and the entire forum was puking blood at the very thought.

I think most would rather see him sold this Summer than walk away on a free next season.

I know 1 or 2, like @GrandOldTeam have pointed out that they would rather have him play, 25m is nothing compared to relegation.

I feel like everybody has lost their head over a rumour from what I recall is a very bad source.

So theres every chance he signs a new contract still.

If we can add some "better" forward players and a midfielder who can thread a ball, he could fly next season.

But if hes moved on, it is what it is.

he's still an Everton player, till he's not.

DCL is going for £25m though?

£25m is not “the price of a Beto”. It’s only us that pay these fees for crap players. With proper scouting you wouldn’t buy Beto’s for £25m, that’s why nobody else does.

Well Dom is English, plays in the PL and has 12 months left so unsure what this comment is meant to mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back