2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

£15m to be back up or rotation. Probably Newcastle. But, at that price maybe another big club take a punt as backup - like Utd.

He's not good enough to be first choice for any of the top clubs he and his agents think he is capable of going to. But he could add value as a rotation option. Particularly for £15m.
Plus a long-term commitment of 6-7m a year in wages to a player who has struggled enormously for both fitness and goals the last three seasons, which is an incredibly risky commitment for anyone, including ourselves. It's not exactly a snap your hand off deal.

The Chelsea one seems obvious to me.

They have to move bodies out and will want to improve their FFP. Also, they dont mind fronting the cash for players and Im sure theyre happy to backend sales fees.

Chalobah & Chukwuemeka fix the RB & CM positions. Surely theres a deal to be done.
Chukwuemeka is more of a CAM though isn't he? Not sure he solves what the manager wants.

Plus a long-term commitment of 6-7m a year in wages to a player who has struggled enormously for both fitness and goals the last three seasons, which is an incredibly risky commitment for anyone, including ourselves. It's not exactly a snap your hand off deal.
No, but bigger clubs can afford it. Especially if the transfer fee is low. It's why I think he'll go, but the club would be delighted at this stage to come out with more than £12m imo. Reckon we'll deal at £15m.

Dunno the numbers but I'm sure it was suggested on Bobble's podcast (or maybe somewhere else) that the demands were huge. And that's on top of the massive increase we have offered him in this new contract he is refusing to sign.
All seems to be people making things up to me. No one knows what we offered and there has been several versions from different sources as to why the Newcastle deal fell through.

People can dislike him all they want but don’t particularly see how he’s done anything wrong here.

No, but bigger clubs can afford it. Especially if the transfer fee is low. It's why I think he'll go, but the club would be delighted at this stage to come out with more than £12m imo. Reckon we'll deal at £15m.
I don't think they'd take 12m, I don't think it justifies the disruption of losing your starting number 9. You've got to weigh up the money v the much bigger hit if we fail to replace and increase our chance of relegation. 15m would be the absolute minimum for me but I'm not sure the club do a deal for much less than 20. If anything the price should be increasing nearer the deadline not decreasing.

I don't think they'd take 12m, I don't think it justifies the disruption of losing your starting number 9. You've got to weigh up the money v the much bigger hit if we fail to replace and increase our chance of relegation. 15m would be the absolute minimum for me but I'm not sure the club do a deal for much less than 20. If anything the price should be increasing nearer the deadline not decreasing.
Yeah. Club are desperate for cash though. Think it will happen personally.

All seems to be people making things up to me. No one knows what we offered and there has been several versions from different sources as to why the Newcastle deal fell through.

People can dislike him all they want but don’t particularly see how he’s done anything wrong here.
Common knowledge really that he was offered parity with top earner pickford on 130k which is probably too much...he will make less when going on a free next season but will have a significant signing on fee bonus which he wouldn't really get with us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back