Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah don't see nothing that special about him tbh but there's plenty of time for him to get better
Really sagey?

I haven't understood why everyone was putting him down anyway last season, when he was clearly out of position and learning his trade in the premier league. Getting used to the physicality etc.

Think he will shine this season in parts.

And he's won the world cup! More than I can say for a lot of our other players :D

Really sagey?

I haven't understood why everyone was putting him down anyway last season, when he was clearly out of position and learning his trade in the premier league. Getting used to the physicality etc.

Think he will shine this season in parts.

And he's won the world cup! More than I can say for a lot of our other players :D
Agree it's wrong for everyone to judge him based on when he was played out of position but the few times I've seen him play as a striker he's not really impressed tbh, he works hard and is good in the air but there's just no stand out quality there and he doesn't strike me as someone that will get you goals either. Guess time is on his side though and he might grow into it

He's young, some take longer to develop then others but getting injured really didn't help, far to early for anyone to make a final call on this guy, but time is on his side

Agree it's wrong for everyone to judge him based on when he was played out of position but the few times I've seen him play as a striker he's not really impressed tbh, he works hard and is good in the air but there's just no stand out quality there and he doesn't strike me as someone that will get you goals either. Guess time is on his side though and he might grow into it
Did score a goal wrongly ruled offside in the friendly.

Got himself into a few very good positions also,should have finished them off better.

Hopefully this is something he will work on with Mr Rooney!

I don't buy this "poor because he was played out of position " thing that people keep quoting about DCL. There was no way he was going to displace Lukaku last season and Koeman gave him his chance to develop another side to his game. Marcus Rashford had exactly the same thing happen to him last season and explained it well that young strikers need to develop different aspects of their game or they won't get selected.
DCLs goals per game ratio for the U23s was nothing special, but the games he really stood out were when Niasse played as striker and he was asked to play a different role, running the channels, drawing defenders away to create space for Niasse and creating goals too. I believe it was these games which convinced Koeman that he could play alongside Lukaku . While he didn't for me stand out much he has proved that he is a quick learner , his development in 12 months with us has been massive. It was also interesting at the U20s World Cup that after about 3 or 4 games one of the commentators said he thought that he was better suited to playing off the striker because of the ability he had shown to run into the channels creating space and chances for others - in those games he won a penalty with one such run , and created a goal for Lookman with another run.
For me he's not ready yet to lead our line permanently, very few 20 year olds are capable of doing that in the PL. But he's developing physically and in experience all the time and he's proved he's a quick learner. I think he'll get plenty of game time this season whether as striker or in another attacking role. I can't recall a player of his age getting so much criticism from our fans, all I can say is a PL manager and a World Cup winning manager have faith in him , we should too.

I don't buy this "poor because he was played out of position " thing that people keep quoting about DCL. There was no way he was going to displace Lukaku last season and Koeman gave him his chance to develop another side to his game. Marcus Rashford had exactly the same thing happen to him last season and explained it well that young strikers need to develop different aspects of their game or they won't get selected.
DCLs goals per game ratio for the U23s was nothing special, but the games he really stood out were when Niasse played as striker and he was asked to play a different role, running the channels, drawing defenders away to create space for Niasse and creating goals too. I believe it was these games which convinced Koeman that he could play alongside Lukaku . While he didn't for me stand out much he has proved that he is a quick learner , his development in 12 months with us has been massive. It was also interesting at the U20s World Cup that after about 3 or 4 games one of the commentators said he thought that he was better suited to playing off the striker because of the ability he had shown to run into the channels creating space and chances for others - in those games he won a penalty with one such run , and created a goal for Lookman with another run.
For me he's not ready yet to lead our line permanently, very few 20 year olds are capable of doing that in the PL. But he's developing physically and in experience all the time and he's proved he's a quick learner. I think he'll get plenty of game time this season whether as striker or in another attacking role. I can't recall a player of his age getting so much criticism from our fans, all I can say is a PL manager and a World Cup winning manager have faith in him , we should too.

He's much better in the air and holding the ball up than people give him credit.

I've not been very impressed with him at all just so light weight , but then I think back to Graeme Sharp who was similar at this age , heres hoping.

His winner against the other shower to end a 29 game unbeaten run will always hold a place in my heart.

Great day that, stopped them getting the record for longest unbeaten start, (pre-arsenal invincible days) I think this was game 31 of the season.

Amazing to pipe them down.

They had an awful thing called the "scouse mouse" walking the perimiter pre-kick off in a half half kit (obvs a bad bell) with 2 buxom young ladies from each fan base as his entourage.

They don't make pre-match entertainment like they used to.

I've not been very impressed with him at all just so light weight , but then I think back to Graeme Sharp who was similar at this age , heres hoping.
likewise he has looked badly out of his depth everytime I've seen him, but rhino and chubby must see something in him, so I guess we will see how the lad comes on, seems to be a worker anyrate

I do like a sensible post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back