Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is for certain: the five subs rule should allow McNeil, Gray and Gordon to all get significant time on the field. Hopefully all three of them can improve on their output compared to last season.

The pressure is on McNeil from the outset though - we're in a financial nightmare and we're desperately lacking in central midfield, yet we've just committed upwards of £15m to buying a left wing when we already have two. If we somehow reinforce the CMs then the risk subsides somewhat, but if not....

I don't see us benefiting much from making 3 subs very often. We don't have the depth of squad to be wanting to make huge changes during a game.

I don't see us benefiting much from making 3 subs very often. We don't have the depth of squad to be wanting to make huge changes during a game.
It's not so much wanting to make huge changes, it's just the freedom of being able to do it. If you need a goal and it's not working you've got the option of just throwing people on and seeing if it works. I don't like the change, but I think it will make quite a big difference.

We have Gordon and Gray as well as McNeil who can play on both wings, why is McNeil under pressure? Not even a certainty he’s been brought to us to play on the left
I explained why I believe the pressure is on McNeil in the post you quoted and replied to. His fee, whilst not objectively massive, is difficult to accept in our current scenario.

Whilst all three can play on both wings, they all historically produce better results on the left, don't they.

I really hope McNeil does well - it will be to our direct benefit. Perhaps,as others have suggested, Lampard will actually use him as an 8... this would allow us to sell Doucoure and free up some funds.

I explained why I believe the pressure is on McNeil in the post you quoted and replied to. His fee, whilst not objectively massive, is difficult to accept in our current scenario.

Whilst all three can play on both wings, they all historically produce better results on the left, don't they.

I really hope McNeil does well - it will be to our direct benefit. Perhaps,as others have suggested, Lampard will actually use him as an 8... this would allow us to sell Doucoure and free up some funds.
Really small fee up front and spread over five years?

It's perfectly acceptable.

A quick glance at any sport that allows more substitutions demonstrates that the game *can* speed up simply by introducing several pairs of fresh legs. If we face opponents who do that, it is a risk to leave tiring players on the pitch to face them.

Also if the player who starts the game is not doing well you swap him out. That's just a given.

I like that he has taken the number 7 shirt is pressure on him to perform at a higher level. I would have liked other players instead but he is here now and is on him to up his game and perform for everton

Really small fee up front and spread over five years?

It's perfectly acceptable.
No issue with the structure of the deal, because we don't have cashflow issues.

But we are spending nearly £20m when we're right up against the threshold for breaking the rules on P&S, and we may well still need to spend more to fill the gaping abyss where our central midfield should be. Regardless of the payment structure agreed, the accounting will show at least £3m per year in amortisation for McNeil, whereas Gordon "costs" £0 per year and Gray shows maybe £600k per year.

If we sell an expensive player or two (Gomes, Gbamin, Mina or Keane) then this concern is reduced... But we still need to bring in a DM and a CM and now we have less wiggle room to do so.

Looked a real talent when he first broke into the Burnley side. Seem to have lost his way the last season or so.
Maybe this is the change the lad needed , hopefully in Franks system he can get some form back & flourish.
He's young enough to do it , there's a good player there if it works out.
Now in a better side with better players despite last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.