Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2024/25 Dwight McNeil

…..he does have a tendency to misplace the odd easy pass but he seemed to take the ball more on the spin at times on Saturday.

Its goals in the 6 yard box I’d like him to score more of from that no10 position. It’s hard work, but it means him getting in there when the ball is out wide in the top third. Get the clips out of Lampard when he was playing.

Bingo, always annoyed me how little amount of these goals are picked up by the number 10's in the world, does my head in.

Its that extra 10/20 yard sprint or extra effort thats lacking from sooo many.

My son is a number 10, and the amount of times I try telling him this after games, like talking to a brick wall. *He actualy scored 1 exactly like that last week...I was made up. 🤣

For me, its 5-10 EXTRA goals a season for that 1 player.

Bingo, always annoyed me how little amount of these goals are picked up by the number 10's in the world, does my head in.

Its that extra 10/20 yard sprint or extra effort thats lacking from sooo many.

My son is a number 10, and the amount of times I try telling him this after games, like talking to a brick wall. *He actualy scored 1 exactly like that last week...I was made up. 🤣

For me, its 5-10 EXTRA goals a season for that 1 player.

….it is but it’s probably 1 run in 20 that the ball comes to you, that’s why it’s hard work but the rewards are so high.

You keep encouraging little Pabbers, it’s good advice. Most important is he loves playing and there’s no better way of developing people skills than playing footy.

…ha, ha still rings true. Loved watching my own lad playing into his 30s, the kids he played alongside are still his closest mates to this day. Never be as good as his Dad, though.

Agreed mate, its my proper happy place, watching him play footy, its just pure isn't it.

The best life lessons, as you say.

IMG_0411.webp

Sigurdsson was absolutely rubbish, can’t believe how many people are looking back fondly on him now. Watching him jog around aimlessly touching the ball about 6 times a game used to make my eyes bleed.

I’d much rather have McNeil playing for us.
Completely agree. Used to be loads of posts about how he used to just stroll around and hide in the big games. Not sure where this love-in is coming from. Had his moments but was definitely not good enough for us to be looking back fondly at his time here.

Completely agree. Used to be loads of posts about how he used to just stroll around and hide in the big games. Not sure where this love-in is coming from. Had his moments but was definitely not good enough for us to be looking back fondly at his time here.

Siggurdsons signing for me was the moment I started to realise we didn't hd eBay clue what we were doing.

Signed him, Klaasen and Rooney to play the same position, making two our highest ever contracts and one our highest ever transfer fee - in context we paid almost double for him what we paid for Lukaku.

As a player Siggurdson was just talented enough that for a crap side he'd do some individual moments that would snatch a point or three - priceless to a Swansea etc. for a better side they want a guy who can do that whilst contributing also for the full 90 - which Siggurdson didn't do.

Same was true of Bolasie to an extent.

Truly horrible wastes of money during this period.

Always happens mate once a player is t with us anymore.

Give it a few years and Onana will have been Vierra reborn when he was at us.

Funniest one I do see said though is Osman now seems to get positive comments about how good he was, at the time he was one of the lads who got none stop dogs abuse on here.

Siggurdsons signing for me was the moment I started to realise we didn't hd eBay clue what we were doing.

Signed him, Klaasen and Rooney to play the same position, making two our highest ever contracts and one our highest ever transfer fee - in context we paid almost double for him what we paid for Lukaku.

As a player Siggurdson was just talented enough that for a crap side he'd do some individual moments that would snatch a point or three - priceless to a Swansea etc. for a better side they want a guy who can do that whilst contributing also for the full 90 - which Siggurdson didn't do.

Same was true of Bolasie to an extent.

Truly horrible wastes of money during this period.
He was always available and covered insane amounts of ground and didn't stop running - essentially Doucoure with actual football technique/brain.

Was he exceptional? Nah, you're probably spot on with it that he's just talented enough for some individual/occasional brilliance, but not over the top. Realistically when we got him we were finishing/running around midtable, so really he fit the bill. Also a player like that would be perfect to have in Doucoure's place as with our current 'playstyle' he'd probably do a lot better - we don't use the ball a lot and he could control and shoot it, like, don't think anyone can deny that.

That said, he was a meh transfer and another one we overpaid for (we got Tosun for close to 30m that same season, jesus wept) and then he had the, uh, "off the pitch troubles". There was that season when he scored like 15 goals though, 18/19, when we had Marco Silva, which was pretty cool.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back