Earning a position

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the idea should be to have a consistent team based on the next 2-3 seasons;

.........................................................???

Coleman.......................Stones.............................???...................Garbutt

....................................Barkley....................McCarthy/Besic

???....................................................???.....................................???

.......................................................Lukaku

Now, we have highly rated players such as Griffiths, Galloway,Kenny, Jones, Ledson, Long etc and these guys should at least fill in some squad positions over the next couple of seasons...

Mirallas leaving would bring in the money for someone such as Rafael Silva who at 21 would fit in with the rest of the above core.
Jagielka isn't a spring chicken any longer and even if Galloway comes through we should move on Joe Gomez.
Howard is finished and we should move for Karius from Mainz.
For the playmaker and other wide midfield position I imagine these are going to be big money...

These guys don't have to all be signed at once of course, but they and others like them to be brought in gradually over the next 2-3 seasons.

We then keep building around the core nucleus with talent who fit in with a 5-10 year plan.

I wish Baines was still class. Maybe he's in the doldrums, but I dont see him significantly capturing form again. I dont even think his heart is in it given his whiney comments of late.

I'd get rid, tbh. £6/7M bid = snap their hands off.

Deffo agree on his heart not being entirely in it. He's often said in interviews that he's going to walk away from football as soon as he retires.

I still think he's quality though, and will end his career here on a high note.

I think the idea should be to have a consistent team based on the next 2-3 seasons;

.........................................................???

Coleman.......................Stones.............................???...................Garbutt

....................................Barkley....................McCarthy/Besic

???....................................................???.....................................???

.......................................................Lukaku

Now, we have highly rated players such as Griffiths, Galloway,Kenny, Jones, Ledson, Long etc and these guys should at least fill in some squad positions over the next couple of seasons...

Mirallas leaving would bring in the money for someone such as Rafael Silva who at 21 would fit in with the rest of the above core.
Jagielka isn't a spring chicken any longer and even if Galloway comes through we should move on Joe Gomez.
Howard is finished and we should move for Karius from Mainz.
For the playmaker and other wide midfield position I imagine these are going to be big money...

These guys don't have to all be signed at once of course, but they and others like them to be brought in gradually over the next 2-3 seasons.

We then keep building around the core nucleus with talent who fit in with a 5-10 year plan.

Zat mate, all those full stops have messed with your lineups

Just let us know how much grott you've porked this month

There's a hell of a rebuilding job needed here. If I were Martinez I would not be entrusting my own tenure with a lot of the players who've misfired this season.

Howard (now a liability)
Distin (enough said)
Baines (very ropey now)
Alcarez (appalling overall)
Barry (doesn't do enough)
Hibbert (not used and limited)
Pienaar (never going to be an option again)
McGeady (*sigh* I wish it had worked out, but....)
Mirallas (chooses when he wants to turn up and play)
Kone (an utter disaster from start to, hopefully, finish)

If any of them left it wouldn't be a disaster; many of them leaving would be a relief.

At last Dave, something you and I can agree on without qualification, cheers. But I would add Osman to your list.

Although I, like you would like to see them part, do not think they will. A couple of reasons, their respective contracts give them good money and have some time left on them add to that cannot see any other club being interested in them as transfer targets. Of course there are two or three whose contracts expire this summer so sayonara to them. I think though in the light of recent comments the likes of Alcaraz will be given an extension.

Oviedo was only out due to broken leg. I think he deserves a mention in the squad list. As for McGeady for the squad option, not for me. Guy is talented, can run with the ball, get passed players, but never knows when to pass and lay it off. Forever losing/giving away the ball too easily. Not like we can say he's young and will only get better. Think we have already seen the best of him. And it aint pretty.

Sometimes(often!) indecision over a pass or lay off is not down to the guy with the ball. There has to be movement and options before he can move the ball on with safety, or progressively.

the team needs to be built around Kone

Sack that lump Lukaku off, he hasn't got half the skill of the Konemiester; just play 9-0-1 formation, he needs help from no man

I wish Baines was still class. Maybe he's in the doldrums, but I dont see him significantly capturing form again. I dont even think his heart is in it given his whiney comments of late.

I'd get rid, tbh. £6/7M bid = snap their hands off.
Think after last year Coleman and Baines have been targeted a bit this year. teams were pushing up on them to stop them getting the ball in the opposition half. Baines has had know one in front of him all season, his interplay with pienaar and Osman has not been available. I think we have a mid table squad with a top 6 first team when they are all firing, luckily for Martinez the boy's were on fire last year.

Baines is a no for me.

In retrospect, we should have cashed in on him sooner. I'd have both Oviedo and Garbutt in at LB before him.

Besic has to be a starter too depending on who we face / formation required.
(n)

There's a hell of a rebuilding job needed here. If I were Martinez I would not be entrusting my own tenure with a lot of the players who've misfired this season.

Howard (now a liability)
Distin (enough said)
Baines (very ropey now)
Alcarez (appalling overall)
Barry (doesn't do enough)
Hibbert (not used and limited)
Pienaar (never going to be an option again)
McGeady (*sigh* I wish it had worked out, but....)
Mirallas (chooses when he wants to turn up and play)
Kone (an utter disaster from start to, hopefully, finish)

If any of them left it wouldn't be a disaster; many of them leaving would be a relief.

I, erm, totally agree with Dave here...

Status
Not open for further replies.