• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s just no criteria for it apart from which media approved player at media approved clubs has won something recently.

Pretty much. The sporting media love a story, and to build a narrative around teams and players to build fans' investment. The narrative pushed this season has been that Van Dike has come in and single-handedly transformed a good but defensively-flawed team into world beaters. If he'd have lost the CL final they'd have quickly moved on, but the win is like the epic culmination of the story, and the Ballon d'Or would be the warm-fuzzy-feeling epilogue so they'll keep talking about it until it happens.

Otherwise UEFA could just craft a carefully weighted algorithm and run all the players' stats through it and declare a winner that way.

I just don’t see what the criteria is? He’s had a good season and won one cup. There’s players who have had better seasons, won more trophies, and won at international level, so why is he favourite?

If he played for Spurs and won the CL he wouldn’t be considered. If Laporte had won the CL with City no one would have even mentioned his name for Ballon D’or. There’s just no criteria for it apart from which media approved player at media approved clubs has won something recently.

Raphael Varane won the Champions League and World Cup last year and wasn't mentioned by anyone as a deserved Balon D'or winner.

Raphael Varane won the Champions League and World Cup last year and wasn't mentioned by anyone as a deserved Balon D'or winner.

Exactly. That’s what I mean, there’s just no criteria for it.

"the Ballon d'Or award honours the male player deemed to have performed the best over the previous year, based on voting by football journalists." :coffee:

"the Ballon d'Or award honours the male player deemed to have performed the best over the previous year, based on voting by football journalists." :coffee:

Van Dijk was actually pretty turgid in the group stages of the CL and didn’t play in the domestic cups. Ballon D’or worthy.

Reactions: kev
Most evil man in history a Kopite: Official

It is true. My great grandfather used to own a small grocery store in Stanhope Street in 1911-1916 and he remembers serving the young Hitler many times. He used to buy drawing pencils, paper and military magazines and spoke very few words but had a distinct German accent. He didn't say much but always seemed happier on days when Liverpool won a game. JD Hume

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-1915,00.html

The Fuhrer, whose bombs would devastate the country in World War Two, came to the UK in 1912 as a 23-year-old to stay with half-brother Alois, who lived in Toxteth, Liverpool. I didnt know this.

But on a serious note, visiting the merseyside makes him a kopite? What a disgruntled idea.

He didn't. He never visited Britain. The 'diary' that claimed he did was a hoax written in Merseyside in the 70s.

It was the line at the end in the made up account that I was laughing at "He didn't say much but always seemed happier on days when Liverpool won a game" that made me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back