Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't stand them as much as anybody, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend Shaqiri is crap, especially at that price. He's been playing for Stoke for years, he'll be decent in an attacking side.

Amazing how football goes in cycles. We for years signed good players at bargain prices whilst that lot spunked money up the wall on garbage. Now they seem to be nailing every signing whilst we over spend on rubbish.

I can't stand them as much as anybody, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend Shaqiri is crap, especially at that price. He's been playing for Stoke for years, he'll be decent in an attacking side.
He's not crap and people who suggest that he is are deluded. However, he's certainly not a fantastic signing either due to his lack consistency and overall attitude.

Have you watched him play regularly? Have you seen his overall physique? Is he going to fulfil Klopp's wishes or a quick, pressing game? I sincerely doubt it.

I have family who are Stoke season ticket holders and they've been their regular criticisms of him; no wonder Bayern and Inter didn't retain his services.

He's not crap and people who suggest that he is are deluded. However, he's certainly not a fantastic signing either due to his lack consistency and overall attitude.

Have you watched him play regularly? Have you seen his overall physique? Is he going to fulfil Klopp's wishes or a quick, pressing game? I sincerely doubt it.

I have family who are Stoke season ticket holders and they've been their regular criticisms of him; no wonder Bayern and Inter didn't retain his services.

I think he’ll need to drop some bulk to play the pressing style we play, but his physique is muscular, certainly not fat.

His body looks odd as he’s so squat.

I think the doubts you raise are fair ones, which ultimately is why there wasn’t too much competition for his signature and why he cost £15m rather than £30m+ in the current market.

The positives outweigh the negatives on the basis that he’s adding squad depth in a position our squad is weak, and he’s different to to other players we have as an option from the bench.

He also seems to have a decent injury record which makes a change from some a lot of our previous more speculative punts.

He could fail to have much of an impact, but I can’t see it being a bad move, overall.

The Swiss Charlie Adam, think he will do well there only at the price mind, £13m is insane

I think he’ll need to drop some bulk to play the pressing style we play, but his physique is muscular, certainly not fat.

His body looks odd as he’s so squat.

I think the doubts you raise are fair ones, which ultimately is why there wasn’t too much competition for his signature and why he cost £15m rather than £30m+ in the current market.

The positives outweigh the negatives on the basis that he’s adding squad depth in a position our squad is weak, and he’s different to to other players we have as an option from the bench.

He also seems to have a decent injury record which makes a change from some a lot of our previous more speculative punts.

He could fail to have much of an impact, but I can’t see it being a bad move, overall.
All fair comments. Like you mention, for the outlay it really isn't much of a risk when you consider the general inflated prices in the market - £12-15m is nothing.

Klopp has, unfortunately for us, a track record of getting the best out of players so that may be the case again; still, I don't think that's the likely outcome.

I think those lovable rs fans will have turned on Shaqiri by Christmas. His attitude is questionnable at best and he seems to play when he wants to.
I think and hope that he will be a bad influence in their dressing room as he's that kind of player.

I think those lovable rs fans will have turned on Shaqiri by Christmas. His attitude is questionnable at best and he seems to play when he wants to.
I think and hope that he will be a bad influence in their dressing room as he's that kind of player.

He is unlikely to have played enough by Christmas for anyone to turn on him, IMO.

He may not be any good for us, and there’s plenty that don’t really want him from reading forums, so if he dies fail there’ll be lots of I told you so’s online, and he might get some grumbles from the stands if his attitude isn’t right, but actually, even in a dreadful stoke team surrounded by no mark players under a poor manager, he didn’t seem to ever really down tools, which suggests he’s not too much of a loose cannon.

I expect him to be nowhere near the first team until his fitness is right - even I made chamberlain who (when not injured) is a very fit and athletic player didn’t get a sniff for quite a while under klopp.

He’ll be an option off the bench most of the time up to November unless mane or salah get an injury, and play when we have 3 games in a week due to Europe or cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back