• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

So overwhelming 61% think it was then?

By the laws of the game it was a pen and a red.
Intent has nothing to do with it. He slid in and missed the ball and took Dom out. He was in between Dom and the ball. It wasn't intentional but that's what happened. Even without the flick of the leg.
I think a red would be harsh but that is the rule. He shouldn't be available for the next three games.
They can complain but, in reality, that's a VAR decision in their favour to not send him off.

By the laws of the game it was a pen and a red.
Intent has nothing to do with it. He slid in and missed the ball and took Dom out. He was in between Dom and the ball. It wasn't intentional but that's what happened. Even without the flick of the leg.
I think a red would be harsh but that is the rule. He shouldn't be available for the next three games.
They can complain but, in reality, that's a VAR decision in their favour to not send him off.

Gallagher actually said on that ref watch that the Ref actually got it wrong, because he never sent him off.

It's a soft pen, absolutely, but it is a pen. There's contact and that means a pen. I'd be fuming if it happened to us, but rules are rules. You're right, VAR actually helped them out.

Not according to Warnock though because it was caused by DCL kneeing TAA, and him instinctively moving his leg as a result.

yep and that is a really fair debate & one I dont have the time to get into at the moment, I think have chatted through it before.

My take on Value is, the intangible value to "city group" far outweighs the sum of commercial plus on pitch value for messi - despite their attempts there are certain things Abu Dhabi are learning they cant just buy in football; the gravitas around Messi is as close to those intangibles as money can buy

Yes fair, and I don't envy going into such a debate, it was more a statement than a question just to explain how I am arriving at my concept of value, and how I personally don't place too much truck in sportswashing (but do understand those that do!).

They say premium is almost priceless, and Messi is about as close to premium as you can get in what he signifies. I din't think his own field performance will be unlimited though

Gallagher actually said on that ref watch that the Ref actually got it wrong, because he never sent him off.

It's a soft pen, absolutely, but it is a pen. There's contact and that means a pen. I'd be fuming if it happened to us, but rules are rules. You're right, VAR actually helped them out.

Not according to Warnock though because it was caused by DCL kneeing TAA, and him instinctively moving his leg as a result.

I'd be frustrated if the 1st part of the contact was given against us, although I'd understanding if you recklessly slide in and trip someone on your follow through with your shoulder, it's poor defending. What I could not excuse though, is after the 1st contact him lifting his right leg and deliverately tripping Calvert Lewin (which was the contact that actually takes him diown).

There are 2 offence, firstly the shoulder, which Calvert Lewin actually gets passed, and then a 2nd contact from Arnolds leg. That was just stupid. Even if he had missed him, he just looks really guilty. As it is, he made contact and took him down. It's stone wall. It's even more stone wall that the Lovren one a few years back. In honesty, it's probably one of the msot clear cut penalties there has been this season.

Yes fair, and I don't envy going into such a debate, it was more a statement than a question just to explain how I am arriving at my concept of value, and how I personally don't place too much truck in sportswashing (but do understand those that do!).

They say premium is almost priceless, and Messi is about as close to premium as you can get in what he signifies. I din't think his own field performance will be unlimited though

Completly agree - it's what he signifies as much as it is the player and what he will contribute on the pitch will be somewhat limited; in fact im not 100% sure the trade-off of water carrying required to get him on the pitch will be worth it over the medium term

Great post.
A huge chunk of Liverpool fans chose them in the 80's when they were winning trophies - no other reason.
They have no idea what it's like to go through the hard times and the dark years and supporting your club and team through thin and thinner. That's why the kids on Twitter and Facebook post such nonsense. They just don't get it and they never will. The pain and suffering is what true support is based on. You can only appreciate the highs if you have ridden the lows and how much sweeter it really is when you have. Enjoy!

Absolute spot on, it is the sense of entitlement that I just don't understand. Why shouldn't you celebrate a 22 year old chain around the neck, that has been getting heavier and heavier, being removed. They are city rivals for gods sake, they pretend that we don't matter but this latest tantrum has proven that we can get underneath their skin just as much as Utd, City, Chelsea or whoever has more recent success than them, not even Man. Utd.

Completly agree - it's what he signifies as much as it is the player and what he will contribute on the pitch will be somewhat limited; in fact im not 100% sure the trade-off of water carrying required to get him on the pitch will be worth the trade off over the medium term

It's a hard one, as there is no fee. But I get your thinking and it's why Barca are nervous of renewing and other clubs will be too.

Absolute spot on, it is the sense of entitlement that I just don't understand. Why shouldn't you celebrate a 22 year old chain around the neck, that has been getting heavier and heavier, being removed. They are city rivals for gods sake, they pretend that we don't matter but this latest tantrum has proven that we can get underneath their skin just as much as Utd, City, Chelsea or whoever has more recent success than them, not even Man. Utd.

I celebrated the United away win just as much, and will do the same for Chelsea, Arsenal if we beat them this year.

That was a fantastic performance and I celebrated that as a huge win towards a push for Europe. What could be better than ending a pandemic of not going the game, than getting a few decent aways with your mates?

They don’t get it though, because they don’t go.

Macclesfield was an easy one!
Colchester, Lincoln & Wycombe were the hard ones :(
Having said that - supporting City home and away in those days
was a magical time in a lot of ways. The events, experiences
and people of that era will genuinely live in legend forever.
Those years still define the club and fan base today. Even the
kids nowadays who have only ever seen success have heard the stories
from their dad, granddad and uncles of the time so at least have some
understanding of it. I think of then and the team we had then and the team
we have now. It's still unbelievable to a lot us!

My City supporting mate always claims Wrexham away .

He texted me on Wednesday saying exactly the same thing as that last sentence. His words were along the lines of 'Sitting here in 2001 style Keegan era top, I still can't get over it when it's like this'.

He also said that his Mrs was looking at him very strange when he turned to her and said that he is bewildered by the fact that Pickford was not given life for the murder of St. Virgil .

They’ve been seriously lucky with injuries over the last few seasons and now that they have had a few it’s all gone pair shaped.

Shows they were overhyped by the kopite living media and they aren’t actually that good
They got cocky thinking they knew better than everyone else, entered the season with 3 fit centre halfs, one of which, matip, was incapable of playing 3 games a week without falling over.

They’ve known for months that they needed to delve into the market and for reasons unbeknown to only themselves they didn’t buy until the very last minute and then bought what looks like a yard dog in that kabak and a championship player.

i’d call that self sabotage/incompetence and its brilliant to see!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back