• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

I'd imagine they would still want some idea of value for money though, which £1m per week doesn't feel to me.

Define value? - the abu dhabi project is a sportswashing exercise; the value is in giving global validation to an arab state. In football terms there is no bigger stamp than signing messi - it would be the coup they crave desperately.

Define value? - the abu dhabi project is a sportswashing exercise; the value is in giving global validation to an arab state. In football terms there is no bigger stamp than signing messi - it would be the coup they crave desperately.

Well I find the concept of "sportswashing" a bit of a problematic term. I've always felt there's a lot of soft cultural imperialism associated to it (I'm happy to compare crimes of Abu Dhabi to what the UK/US have done with things like the international slave trade).

Aside from that though, I'm sure they want value for money. I.E that the person they pay contributes goals, assists, wins relative to their package. They want to win I'm sure.

Thats why ill never begrudge city of any success ive got mates in work who were at macclesfield away
Macclesfield was an easy one!
Colchester, Lincoln & Wycombe were the hard ones :(
Having said that - supporting City home and away in those days
was a magical time in a lot of ways. The events, experiences
and people of that era will genuinely live in legend forever.
Those years still define the club and fan base today. Even the
kids nowadays who have only ever seen success have heard the stories
from their dad, granddad and uncles of the time so at least have some
understanding of it. I think of then and the team we had then and the team
we have now. It's still unbelievable to a lot us!

Does kind of undermine their “greatest team ever shouts” when an injury to one player suddenly means they’re incapable of even making top 4 - old van dijk must be the greatest player in history

They’ve been seriously lucky with injuries over the last few seasons and now that they have had a few it’s all gone pair shaped.

Shows they were overhyped by the kopite living media and they aren’t actually that good

Well I find the concept of "sportswashing" a bit of a problematic term. I've always felt there's a lot of soft cultural imperialism associated to it (I'm happy to compare crimes of Abu Dhabi to what the UK/US have done with things like the international slave trade).

Aside from that though, I'm sure they want value for money. I.E that the person they pay contributes goals, assists, wins relative to their package. They want to win I'm sure.

yep and that is a really fair debate & one I dont have the time to get into at the moment, I think have chatted through it before.

My take on Value is, the intangible value to "city group" far outweighs the sum of commercial plus on pitch value for messi - despite their attempts there are certain things Abu Dhabi are learning they cant just buy in football; the gravitas around Messi is as close to those intangibles as money can buy

There's some idiotic post going around about being there at Sevilla, a fluffing European final, and other such nonsense and proudly still supporting them.

What? How would losing in a final of a major competition even make the slightest dint to a real supporter's love for their club? Is that a real low point?

God, getting there would make it stronger than ever. They've never truly experience difficult times to the point they've become detached from reality.

They're akin to a spoilt celebrity who has a melt down because the champagne in their hotel room is 0.4C too warm and there's a crease on the bed.
Exactly this.
Losing a European final isn't pressure. Being 2-0 down in a third division play off game at Wembley against Gillingham with 2 minutes to go is pressure!
That's why most City fans will say the most important game for City wasn't the Aguerooooo! goal against QPR to win the league that year it was the Dickov 95th minute equaliser in the above play off game. The QPR game for the title was about vanity. The Gillingham play off game was about the very survival of the club. There is no comparison. As I said previously if we hadn't suffered and then celebrated like we did against Gillingham in 1999 the Aguero goal in 2012 simply would have not mattered half as much. That's what being a fan and supporting your club and team is about and what it means.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back