• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

I see Pickford managed to get into Garth Crook's 'Team of The Week'.
This was his objective unbiased, reasoned outlook as to why:
(Why mention the VVD injury - just what relevance if any does
it have to how Pickford played on Saturday?). Media sheep.

Jordan Pickford: It is with some hesitation that I find myself selecting Jordan Pickford for my team of the week.

It was Pickford who put Virgil van Dijk out of the previous Merseyside derby with an awful challenge that went unpunished.

However, football moves on very quickly and Pickford seemed intent on inflicting even more pain on Liverpool, this time, on his return to Anfield. The England goalkeeper made a number of first-class saves, not least from Jordan Henderson's volley.

I can't imagine the reception Pickford would have received had Liverpool fans been in the ground. Like on so many occasions, the absence of supporters has made such a huge difference.

I’m amazed how many are saying it’s not a penalty, not so much the RS, because I’d expect it from them, but it seems to split opinion all over the place. I keep hearing “DCL ran into the back of TAA’s head”.

Of course he did, because TAA throws his body across the floor in an attempt to block the shot. If Allison holds onto the ball, fair enough it’s not a pen, but he spills it and DCL has a tap in if not for “Trent” lying in his path. That’s ignoring the fact that TAA flicks his leg up to make sure he doesn’t get to it.

The win on saturday has just served as a reminder to me how many of them just don't really understand what it's like to be a 'normal' fan. I found myself unexpectedly quite emotional after the game on saturday; I'd always sort of shrugged at the horrible Anfield record as one of those things that happen when your nearest neighbours are both the country's most successful club and also in league with the devil, but I was a little bit choked when they finally did it. I was at school last time we won there, I watched the game with my mum who died what seems an entire lifetime ago. I've been to college, Uni, moved to London and come back, got married, had a kid, seen a global pandemic, and the only constant thing in all that time was us turning up at Anfield and getting humiliated time after time. It made me laugh to see so many comments on twitter and facebook about reacting like we'd won the league, it just made me realise how so many of them just don't get what being a football fan is really about. Of course i desperately want to see us win the league and countless trophies, but whatever we win I probably couldn't love it much more than when when we cleared that final corner and I thought 'even Everton can't mess it up from here'.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back