• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

I’d laugh but that means we are too :(
But you have a game in hand and haven't been lauded as the greatest football team in the history of the world only as recent as Christmas time. Along with having:
The greatest owners in the world.
The greatest manager to ever manage a football club in the world - past, present and in the future.
The greatest goal keeper in the world ever to pull on a pair of gloves.
The best two attacking fullbacks in the world bar none.
By far and away the greatest centre back in the world ever to wear a pair of football boots.
The best, greatest and most wonderful front 3 in the world ever to grace a football pitch
The best stadium in the world.
The greatest atmosphere in the world. Those special 'European night under the lights of Anfield' in the world
The greatest, most knowledgeable and loyal fan base in the world all from within the confines of the L4 postcode.
Oh and I nearly forgot. The best furlough scheme in the world.
Karma can be such a bitch...

I think you are right about Mbappe. I'm not sure if Real Madrid can afford him and Barca most certainly can't. The VVD scenario is one of them weird ones where the more he doesn't play the more important he becomes. I think they are in for a shock when he does eventually return if they think that they will instantaneously become world beaters again. Not a chance and it is highly doubtful that he will return to his previous best after such an injury and his age. We had the same with Mendy. A very good player before the injury and an absolute liability after it. I do hope we can get Haarland to replace Aguero, however, I fear his financial demands will be to high. I really am in two minds about Messi to be honest. The club would love him as he would raise the profile of the club to a truly immense level from where it is now. However, from a pure football perspective I'm far from convinced. He's 33 and certainly his best days are behind him - but having said that he is still a genius. But who would be left out to accommodate him? Probably Foden which would not be popular with both him and the fans. On the other hand just how much could Foden learn from Messi by playing with him and training with him for 2 years or so? It's a difficult one. As you also mention the other huge potential problem Liverpool have if they don't make the top 4 this season is would VVD or Salah, Mane etc actually want to stay at Liverpool without CL football? I highly doubt it and the other side of the coin is just who could / would they attract without CL football even if they could afford it - which they probably couldn't? There really is a seriously difficult potential crisis on the horizon for Liverpool as a club and a team if they don't as you say. I'm not sure if the penny has started to drop yet with the majority of their totally deluded fan base? I would imagine there is some pretty detailed scenario planning going on by the big chiefs within FSG right now and the first casualty to get the chop if they don't make the top 4 will Klopp himself. FSG will be brutal. If they fluke the CL again then he may survive. If they don't his coat really is hanging on a shaky nail. Just thinking about how the media would view it and report fills me glee!

This is really interesting PPT - my take on Messi & MCFC, I dont think the owners will be able to resist if they can get it done, it is the validation of the takeover in some ways & changes the global level of the club / City group / Abu Dhabi football exponentially, which ultimately is the goal of the enterprise.

That said, I would question whether its a good idea, they have one hell of a team, with youth / exuberance, incredible skill & levels of coaching, but most importantly IMHO they world the absolute you know whats off for each other. That harmony is a risk if Messi comes in, you will hear rumblings around contracts very quickly & I am sure there will be some frustration on the pitch when nine have to water carry for one. ALL THAT SAID, IT'S STILL MESSI - but If I was making decisions for City, I think Haaland would be the better option long term.

RE M'Bappe - I put together my thoughs on how he "Could" (not would) end up going to Liverpool with the help of the Nike deal, it is very far fetched an obviously dead if they dont finish top 4; which for me they shouldnt be anywhere near odds to achieve now. I assume the Qataris wont sell to city under any circumstances & as such the only real suitors this summer will be Madrid; my gut feeling is he will run contract down and sign a monster deal with RM on the first Jan 2022

This is really interesting PPT - my take on Messi & MCFC, I dont think the owners will be able to resist if they can get it done, it is the validation of the takeover in some ways & changes the global level of the club / City group / Abu Dhabi football exponentially, which ultimately is the goal of the enterprise.

That said, I would question whether its a good idea, they have one hell of a team, with youth / exuberance, incredible skill & levels of coaching, but most importantly IMHO they world the absolute you know whats off for each other. That harmony is a risk if Messi comes in, you will hear rumblings around contracts very quickly & I am sure there will be some frustration on the pitch when nine have to water carry for one. ALL THAT SAID, IT'S STILL MESSI - but If I was making decisions for City, I think Haaland would be the better option long term.

RE M'Bappe - I put together my thoughs on how he "Could" (not would) end up going to Liverpool with the help of the Nike deal, it is very far fetched an obviously dead if they dont finish top 4; which for me they shouldnt be anywhere near odds to achieve now. I assume the Qataris wont sell to city under any circumstances & as such the only real suitors this summer will be Madrid; my gut feeling is he will run contract down and sign a monster deal with RM on the first Jan 2022
Excellent point about the Qataris not selling to City. That just isn't going to happen under any circumstances. I agree Haarland would the better signing.
Anyway don't want to derail the thread with talk about City.
It's just too much fun right now! :)

Excellent point about the Qataris not selling to City. That just isn't going to happen under any circumstances. I agree Haarland would the better signing.
Anyway don't want to derail the thread with talk about City.
It's just too much fun right now! :)
How dare you be happy, this thread is about how DEVASTATED we are for little old Liverpool who are skint and have sooooooooooooooooo many injuries like 4 or 5.

I think you are right about Mbappe. I'm not sure if Real Madrid can afford him and Barca most certainly can't. The VVD scenario is one of them weird ones where the more he doesn't play the more important he becomes. I think they are in for a shock when he does eventually return if they think that they will instantaneously become world beaters again. Not a chance and it is highly doubtful that he will return to his previous best after such an injury and his age. We had the same with Mendy. A very good player before the injury and an absolute liability after it. I do hope we can get Haarland to replace Aguero, however, I fear his financial demands will be to high. I really am in two minds about Messi to be honest. The club would love him as he would raise the profile of the club to a truly immense level from where it is now. However, from a pure football perspective I'm far from convinced. He's 33 and certainly his best days are behind him - but having said that he is still a genius. But who would be left out to accommodate him? Probably Foden which would not be popular with both him and the fans. On the other hand just how much could Foden learn from Messi by playing with him and training with him for 2 years or so? It's a difficult one. As you also mention the other huge potential problem Liverpool have if they don't make the top 4 this season is would VVD or Salah, Mane etc actually want to stay at Liverpool without CL football? I highly doubt it and the other side of the coin is just who could / would they attract without CL football even if they could afford it - which they probably couldn't? There really is a seriously difficult potential crisis on the horizon for Liverpool as a club and a team if they don't as you say. I'm not sure if the penny has started to drop yet with the majority of their totally deluded fan base? I would imagine there is some pretty detailed scenario planning going on by the big chiefs within FSG right now and the first casualty to get the chop if they don't make the top 4 will Klopp himself. FSG will be brutal. If they fluke the CL again then he may survive. If they don't his coat really is hanging on a shaky nail. Just thinking about how the media would view it and report fills me glee!

I would say with Mbappe it's likely now he will stay wth PSG. Probably 25% he goes to RM and maybe 15% he goes to City. There will be lots of ther players available though, and you sense City will sign 2 top strikers in the summer.

As for Messi, he's the best player to have ever played the game, and will score buckets of goals for City, even at 33. You see it with James at our place, to be fair KDB, Aguero, and that ilk at yours, world class players. Then you get a guy like Messi who is levels above them. I'd love to see him in the PL.

Mendy jis a good comprison, but Laporte too, who came back "well" but 18 months on still isnt the sae player he was. He was right up there with VVD pre injury too. He was also 24 when it happened, whereas VVD was nearly 30. I mean even a prime VVD coming back wouldn't solve their problems. He might scrape them into the top 4, but that would be it. He won't come back to prime though, best case is he does a Laporte and is 80-85% of the player he was. City have been sensible in that they have essentially moved on from him, with Stones and bringing 1 class act in. The problem they have, is their 2/3rd choice CB are also suffering long term injuries, and in honesty are both a lot poorer players than Stones pre injury. So it's not going to be easy.

As for the moment of realisation, I predict the bickering is going to become a lot more angry. They can channel all their anger at us this week which brings some unity. But in the lead up to the match you have open warfare between local and out of town fans. Out of town fans mocking those from Liverpool for living in council houses (with rather crass 80's stereotypes). This division will get worse. Unlike with H & G where there was 1 easy target, or when Benitez/Houllier/Hodgson were hounded out and again there was an easy target, I think there will be a lot of splits re Klopp and FSG. That is good as well, divided clubs tend to tank.

And yes, I think FSG will be veery clinical in this. They were with Dalglish. It's a trait of American businessman. I don't just think it will be not getting top 4 that will seal his fate either, but his behaviour and conduct incuding (though not limited too) the ownership that will do it. It's also not looking like narrowly missing out. It looks like, had them in top spot, got riled because a player got injured, had a tantrum wanting to spend 100m they haven't got on another 30 year old (Koulibaly) and let the season spiral out of control. I'm not sure there is a defence for that.

I would say with Mbappe it's likely now he will stay wth PSG. Probably 25% he goes to RM and maybe 15% he goes to City. There will be lots of ther players available though, and you sense City will sign 2 top strikers in the summer.

As for Messi, he's the best player to have ever played the game, and will score buckets of goals for City, even at 33. You see it with James at our place, to be fair KDB, Aguero, and that ilk at yours, world class players. Then you get a guy like Messi who is levels above them. I'd love to see him in the PL.

Mendy jis a good comprison, but Laporte too, who came back "well" but 18 months on still isnt the sae player he was. He was right up there with VVD pre injury too. He was also 24 when it happened, whereas VVD was nearly 30. I mean even a prime VVD coming back wouldn't solve their problems. He might scrape them into the top 4, but that would be it. He won't come back to prime though, best case is he does a Laporte and is 80-85% of the player he was. City have been sensible in that they have essentially moved on from him, with Stones and bringing 1 class act in. The problem they have, is their 2/3rd choice CB are also suffering long term injuries, and in honesty are both a lot poorer players than Stones pre injury. So it's not going to be easy.

As for the moment of realisation, I predict the bickering is going to become a lot more angry. They can channel all their anger at us this week which brings some unity. But in the lead up to the match you have open warfare between local and out of town fans. Out of town fans mocking those from Liverpool for living in council houses (with rather crass 80's stereotypes). This division will get worse. Unlike with H & G where there was 1 easy target, or when Benitez/Houllier/Hodgson were hounded out and again there was an easy target, I think there will be a lot of splits re Klopp and FSG. That is good as well, divided clubs tend to tank.

And yes, I think FSG will be veery clinical in this. They were with Dalglish. It's a trait of American businessman. I don't just think it will be not getting top 4 that will seal his fate either, but his behaviour and conduct incuding (though not limited too) the ownership that will do it. It's also not looking like narrowly missing out. It looks like, had them in top spot, got riled because a player got injured, had a tantrum wanting to spend 100m they haven't got on another 30 year old (Koulibaly) and let the season spiral out of control. I'm not sure there is a defence for that.
Can’t see City paying Messi wages, he’s on what £600k a week at Barca and will want a pay rise

just googled to check and yes it is true apparently......​

injury

[ in-juh-ree ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: injury / injuries on Thesaurus.com

noun, plural in·ju·ries.​

1. harm or damage that is done or sustained: to escape without injury.

2. a particular form or instance of harm: an injury to one's shoulder; an injury to one's pride.

3. wrong or injustice done or suffered.

4. Law. any wrong or violation of the rights, property, reputation, etc., of another for which legal action to recover damages may be made.

5. Obsolete. injurious speech; calumny.

6. A type of long term and persistent handicap only Liverpool FC out of 92 professional football teams suffer from.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back