• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

I was born in late 80s so wasn't around when Elvis Costello was big but I always had a unnatural dislike for him with no reason his music and face does my head in. Just came across an article explaining how he's a massive liverpool fan.

Trust your gut instincts always.
Likewise, as one of his esteemed wife's jazz albums says.... "Only Trust Your Heart"
(Diana Krall)

I was born in late 80s so wasn't around when Elvis Costello was big but I always had a unnatural dislike for him with no reason his music and face does my head in. Just came across an article explaining how he's a massive liverpool fan.

Trust your gut instincts always.
Always had him down as a tranmere supporter, but suppose if your record sales are floundering his PR and management know the 'customers' are always ripe for plucking.
20210228_081941.webp

Lots of the media peddling the Gerrard as next manager in the summer story.

Myself and @davek have been discussing this periodically over recent weeks. I've always felt it was more likely to be Ljinders, particularly if Klopp goes in the season, but we both agree Gerrard is a big candidate.

The latest set of media briefing seems rather onimous to me. Someone is leaking this stuff to the press, and he has a big press support for him (a bit like Lampard had, and to a degree Rooney will have). What I found interesting from one article I read was Dalglish saying he has his blessing. No doubt Dalglish will be angling for a role in the new system and may well get it if it's Gerrard. A bit like Charlton at United (who essentially got them to go Moyes over Mourinho) he will hold enormous sway.

It also looks like Germany may look to punt Loew if they don't do well at the Euro's. If this is being written now, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if a back channel was emerging from the German FA to Klopp.

The story is just not going away. Having it as headlines, to essentially get into the heads of some Liverpool fans is smart from team Gerrard. There's a growing number of Klopp out fans, who won't make it public, for fear of being attacked- but if you cloak that as "Gerrard in" it becomes far safer to vent that opinion. With every game that goes by that they don't win, that will gain more traction.

Whats great, if you will have Klopp loyalists too, or just sane people who will see that Gerrard is ill qualified for the role, and there will be more disharmony. Bring on the impending civil war.

Myself and @davek have been discussing this periodically over recent weeks. I've always felt it was more likely to be Ljinders, particularly if Klopp goes in the season, but we both agree Gerrard is a big candidate.

The latest set of media briefing seems rather onimous to me. Someone is leaking this stuff to the press, and he has a big press support for him (a bit like Lampard had, and to a degree Rooney will have). What I found interesting from one article I read was Dalglish saying he has his blessing. No doubt Dalglish will be angling for a role in the new system and may well get it if it's Gerrard. A bit like Charlton at United (who essentially got them to go Moyes over Mourinho) he will hold enormous sway.

It also looks like Germany may look to punt Loew if they don't do well at the Euro's. If this is being written now, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if a back channel was emerging from the German FA to Klopp.

The story is just not going away. Having it as headlines, to essentially get into the heads of some Liverpool fans is smart from team Gerrard. There's a growing number of Klopp out fans, who won't make it public, for fear of being attacked- but if you cloak that as "Gerrard in" it becomes far safer to vent that opinion. With every game that goes by that they don't win, that will gain more traction.

Whats great, if you will have Klopp loyalists too, or just sane people who will see that Gerrard is ill qualified for the role, and there will be more disharmony. Bring on the impending civil war.
The roof will fall in on Klopp when they go out of the CL.

The only reason why there isn't a stampede against him now is because they are still in that competition.

If / when Liverpool fail to progress past the next round and they struggle and fail to get a top 4 place there's no way Klopp will be there next season.

The roof will fall in on Klopp when they go out of the CL.

The only reason why there isn't a stampede against him now is because they are still in that competition.

If / when Liverpool fail to progress past the next round and they struggle and fail to get a top 4 place there's no way Klopp will be there next season.

There are obviously 2 dynamics to the club, the fans from below and the ownership from above. For the fans, yes the CL is the saving grace. I'll be honest I'm surprised they haven't gone full tilt at the CL mentally yet. I'd like them out in the quarters, I don't want any risk of them 05'ing it, and as you say, I think once they get knocked out I do think the season will implode. It reminds me of Rodgers final full season, once the FA Cup semi final was bottled, it collapsed. I sense the CL will hold it all together for them.

For FSG I doubt they are too bothered about the CL now. It will all be about the top 4. There's probably a world where Klopp could have survived not making the top 4, but I think missing out by a long way, and also potentially missing out on the EL will be too much. I also think how he has mis managed this season, from 1st into January and now 5/6th in late February. I think it will be a lot more clinical from them, with added black marks for him completely blitzing this squad for years to come and the continued digs in the press (and by all accounts the tantrums about wanting Koulibaly). They probably view him as a disobedient GM who's gone rogue.

Klopp's kind of in the middle of those tensions and I suspect is at a point where he doesn't care. It's quite clear from todays reports his next plan was the manage the German national team and that the 2022 date can be brought forward (especially if they don't win 2021). I'd imagine all his eggs are in the CL basket, and if that goes I wouldn't rule out him resigning.

I actually think the collapse couldm be worse than Rodgers too, as Rodgers didn't have have the prestige of Klopp and needed to keep trying to do his job for his reputation. Klopp really isnt in that boat. He doesn't need Liverpool quite like they need him, he can walk into his dream job next as and when he wants. So there's little pressure on him to remain professional when he will be seething. I could imagine it getting quite nasty.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back