• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

Diaz has been a great signing for them. But the core of that team is getting into their 30s VVD, Henderson, Salah and Mane. The amount of games played this year will take its toll.

To a normal team probably

City

16/17 - 4th - 78 points
17/18 - 1st (cycle on) 100pts
18/19 - 1st (cycle on) 98 pts
19/20 - 2nd (cycle off) 81 pts
20/21 - 1st (cycle on) 86 pts
21/22 - 1st (cycle on) 93 pts

Liverpool

17/18 - 4th 75 points
18/19 - 2nd 97 points (cycle on)
19/20 - 1st 99 points (cycle on)
20/21 - 3rd 69 points (cycle off)
21/22 - 2nd (cycle on) 92 pts

The pattern is obvious from both. They took their time to get the squad they wanted at a certain level (Took Pep one season, took Klopp a couple), then they started doping in 2 year cycles.

I mean the jump up in points is ginormous for both teams. The drop off is then huge after 2 seasons, only to be followed by yet another huge leap up. We’re talking 20-30 points swing between seasons. Now you can have a centreback out injured but fundamentally it’s basically the same squad with the same managers. There’s no logical reason for such huge swings in performance being exactly mirrored by both teams.

You can see clearly as well in the two years both have cycled on we’ve had the title race decided by a point. In the ones when one has not been then the other has destroyed them by a huge amount. Why such a disparity between two teams who just the season before have only been separated by a point but in another one can put 20 points between each other?

Sadly it means that next season Liverpool are still cycling whilst City will be coming off. Perhaps Haaland can keep them in touch but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them run off with it again.

A rhe drugs started to kick in this season their second half form reads 16 wins and three draws (City, Chelsea, Spurs). Sadly City without drugs are not going to get anywhere near mid 90s next season.

R.f81bc86f9e4a7060170145ac21c51709
Did we play?

City

16/17 - 4th - 78 points

Liverpool

17/18 - 4th 75 points

The pattern is obvious from both. They took their time to get the squad they wanted at a certain level (Took Pep one season, took Klopp a couple), then they started doping in 2 year cycles.

I mean the jump up in points is ginormous for both teams. The drop off is then huge after 2 seasons, only to be followed by yet another huge leap up. We’re talking 20-30 points swing between seasons. Now you can have a centreback out injured but fundamentally it’s basically the same squad with the same managers. There’s no logical reason for such huge swings in performance being exactly mirrored by both teams.

You can see clearly as well in the two years both have cycled on we’ve had the title race decided by a point. In the ones when one has not been then the other has destroyed them by a huge amount. Why such a disparity between two teams who just the season before have only been separated by a point but in another one can put 20 points between each other?

Sadly it means that next season Liverpool are still cycling whilst City will be coming off. Perhaps Haaland can keep them in touch but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them run off with it again.

A rhe drugs started to kick in this season their second half form reads 16 wins and three draws (City, Chelsea, Spurs). Sadly City without drugs are not going to get anywhere near mid 90s next season.
Between them they played 76 league games this season and lost only 5. Just ridiculous

City

16/17 - 4th - 78 points

Liverpool

17/18 - 4th 75 points

Dont worry me mate I've convinced myself Haaland will win them it again next season.

Personally I hope Madrid go in for Salah and his heads turned - even if Liverpool made £80-90 million on him I dont think there is anyone out there who would replace his goals/assists now Mbappe is staying at PSG.

I can remember when liverpool played city on the last day, a false rumour went around city needed a draw the liverpool fans laughed and the players passed the ball around in their half for a draw city had to win , liverpool players were happy for them to be relegated alan ball was the manager, I hope hes up there laughing now.
Liverpool deserve all the misfortune on the pitch they get but I can't help but feel that not knowing what you need to stay up BEFORE the last day seems, I don't know, kind of dumb?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back