• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ex-policeman-referee-howard-webb-625528488-1576694.jpg

thanks to football factory my love of the F.A cup has now increased ten fold since watching it.

Yesterday it was watching the game, cheering us on to victory, followed by tensely watching the draw to see who we will get and then followed that by roast dinner in my mothers house whilst checking my phone every 5 minutes to see who we would get in the next round.

And cheered when Chamberlain had scored.

It's crazy to think how finishing fourth has become more important than bringing home a trophy. There is a reason for that of course and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I mean, CL qualification promises the revenue and attracts players, sponsors etc to keep your team competitive over time. You also get to see your club play elite teams in the spotlight.
BUT
It's disgraceful really that football has chosen to organise itself this way.

I think it would be a better balance if a seeded play-off for the the final CL and Europa places were played between the cup winners and teams towards the top end of the table.

It's crazy to think how finishing fourth has become more important than bringing home a trophy. There is a reason for that of course and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I mean, CL qualification promises the revenue and attracts players, sponsors etc to keep your team competitive over time. You also get to see your club play elite teams in the spotlight.
BUT
It's disgraceful really that football has chosen to organise itself this way.

I think it would be a better balance if a seeded play-off for the the final CL and Europa places were played between the cup winners and teams towards the top end of the table.
I agree with some of what you are saying but as you rightly state it is a competition for the elite teams in their respected countries and because of that you have to have the best 4 teams in the english league involved in my opinion, can you imagine if Wigan had been in it this year it would make a mockery of the whole competition.

They weren't, they were top at Christmas. They were out of the top four at New Year
So just a few days short of my prediction then? I can live with that.

Here's a thought though, when you look at the Christmas standings (lets say its post-Boxing Day for clarity), then you can see clearly how little has changed in terms of their challenge to those above and immediately below them (in fact, they're worse off in many respects):

Boxing Day

Arsenal 39
City 38
Chelsea 37
Liverpool 36
Everton 34

Today

Chelsea 57
Arsenal 56
City 54 (with game in hand)
Liverpool 53
Spurs 50

Just one for those getting carried away with Liverpool's chances of actually doing something of note this season. They've had (for them compared with recent seasons) a blistering run of form, and they still cant make a dent.

So just a few days short of my prediction then? I can live with that.

Here's a thought though, when you look at the Christmas standings (lets say its post-Boxing Day for clarity), then you can see clearly how little has changed in terms of their challenge to those above and immediately below them (in fact, they're worse off in many respects):

Boxing Day

Arsenal 39
City 38
Chelsea 37
Liverpool 36
Everton 34

Today

Chelsea 57
Arsenal 56
City 54 (with game in hand)
Liverpool 53
Spurs 50

Just one for those getting carried away with Liverpool's chances of actually doing something of note this season. They've had (for them compared with recent seasons) a blistering run of form, and they still cant make a dent.

Basically this. The ARsenal game sent them into paroxysms of giddiness unmatched even by them but they're still over 4 points behind with no really easy games left (except for maybe this weekend as Swansea play on thursday) and i'm seeing comments like 'title decider with Chelsea' being bandied about with no discernible irony. They're still face a fight to finish top 4.

Suarez has now scored just once in 7 games and Sturridge is beginning to look burned out. They've relied so heavily on those two and it looks like they're starting to crumble under that burden.

I agree with some of what you are saying but as you rightly state it is a competition for the elite teams in their respected countries and because of that you have to have the best 4 teams in the english league involved in my opinion, can you imagine if Wigan had been in it this year it would make a mockery of the whole competition.

Better teams wouldn't play weakened sides in the cup and the chances of Wigan getting ANY European Football would reduce as they'd still have to play top teams to qualify in a playoff. As it stands, they are Europa.

The Champions League is ultimately decided by knockout, so is the World Cup, the Superbowl most sporting events, I don't see how seeded playoff for 3rd and 4th qualification to CL is somehow illegitimate. In fact the time for worrying about the legitimacy of qualification to the CL was when they let in non champions. I mean, why should 1st, 2nd and 3rd get the same prize?

The FA Cup winners are champions of sorts, they won a competition in the same way that Andy Murray won Wimbledon for example. Everyone that entered had the same chance at the outset. What is 'Champions' about 4th?

Librarian and Tsubaki, thanks for showing those vids, damn if only he would clean up his act. But one has to look at the to realise they are a bunch of cheats, excellent teacher in the art of diving is the captain Gerrard. Those vids though should be looked at by the FA and another big suspension given, only way to clean up the game.

One always knows if the result is not going there way they resort to penalty claims.

....if the reds wanted to concentrate on the league they would've made changes galore. Their fans would have not watched with such angst and there would be no inquisitions today. From what I can see they most definitely wanted to win, so it seems odd that they are now saying they are better off out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back