• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way is that consistent in the accounting sense.. maybe they can get away with a couple of million on consultancy and costs for architects, surveyors and so on.. but that's got to be about the limit if you don't proceed with a £200M project. Absolutely no company would waste much more than 1-2% on the initial feasibility stage - would you commit let's say £10M on something of this magnitude and then go, nah.. forget it? - and just write it off. Admittedly that kind of money can be spent and then objections or a downturn in the economy can force a company to reconsider it's future developments but they've not exactly done a great deal have they - invested in land, labour or materials!?
I agree 100%, but it's not stopped them trying to apportion £50m to it :lol:

I thought it stank at the time & now I realise why....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...um-cost-the-club-a-staggering-50-million.html

Massive LOL @ anyone who thinks they would get banned from Europe.

From last month's news:

Now a new problem has emerged in the obscure though highly significant small print of the new FFP rulebook. If City fail to meet FFP, a "directly affected party" has 10 days to appeal against any attempt by the club to then cut a deal with Uefa to reduce their sanction of a likely Champions League ban. City would then be exposed to a Uefa tribunal.

The governing body may deliver their verdict on clubs' finances as early as May. Arsenal and Liverpool have made it clear they expect strong enforcement of FFP by Uefa and both clubs could make the challenge – putting them in a state of open conflict with City – if either miss out on a Champions' League place.

Liverpool's principal owner, John W Henry, said in his first meeting with British newspaper journalists in 2010, that it did not matter he lacked a "'Sheikh' in front of my name" because FFP would deliver a level playing field and he had that in mind when buying Liverpool. Henry's managing director at Anfield, Ian Ayre, said in 2012 that "the rules are rules and should be hard and fast. What will kill the initiative, or certainly stifle it, is people easing themselves into it rather than the rules applying and everyone operating within them," he said.

I agree 100%, but it's not stopped them trying to apportion £50m to it lol

I thought it stank at the time & now I realise why....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...um-cost-the-club-a-staggering-50-million.html
OOOOOOOhhhh. Someone please tell me if I am reading this correctly but according to these accounts

http://www.scribd.com/doc/128339220/liverpool-fc-accounts-2011-12

the £50m write off for stadium costs occurred in the financial year ending 31 July 2011 i.e. BEFORE the start of FFP which begins for season 2011/12.

Surely they cant manage to squeeze these costs into the 2011/12 season?

There is no way UEFA are going to enforce the FPP; they do not have the minerals to challenge a team that has spent millions upon millions to gain access to this competition. The FPP was just media games for Platini and his boys due to fans moaning about the rising cost of football.

If anything is to happen it'll be a slap on the wrist and a warning giving said club x amount of years to organise their finances and bring it more in line with the regulations.

OOOOOOOhhhh. Someone please tell me if I am reading this correctly but according to these accounts

http://www.scribd.com/doc/128339220/liverpool-fc-accounts-2011-12

the £50m write off for stadium costs occurred in the financial year ending 31 July 2011 i.e. BEFORE the start of FFP which begins for season 2011/12.

Surely they cant manage to squeeze these costs into the 2011/12 season?
Oh yes mate, it appears that you're right there, they've written the 'stadium' costs off in the previous years accounts, so outside of the initial 2 year monitoring for FFP

There is no way UEFA are going to enforce the FPP; they do not have the minerals to challenge a team that has spent millions upon millions to gain access to this competition. The FPP was just media games for Platini and his boys due to fans moaning about the rising cost of football.

If anything is to happen it'll be a slap on the wrist and a warning giving said club x amount of years to organise their finances and bring it more in line with the regulations.
Unfortunately this is the most likely outcome - however....

If a club fails to meet FFP, a "directly affected party" has 10 days to appeal against any attempt by the club to then cut a deal with Uefa to reduce their sanction of a likely Champions League ban

So expect a raft of appeals from sides just below those who qualify & openly fail the criteria this summer...

Like feck either City or Liverpool would be banned from Europe. It will never happen. If either of them qualifies and gets jibbed out on FFP rules, I'll post a picture of my arse on here.

One of the things about this is that the owner has to cover any loss over 5m Euros so FSG will be needing to stump up cash for worthless shares in any case.

Staggering how the kopites are greeting the news of a £50m loss, with joyous lauding of FSG & what great progress is being made......incredible tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back