• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So expect a raft of appeals from sides just below those who qualify & openly fail the criteria this summer...

This is why I think there is a good chance that City, and hopefully the RS (though their offences under FFP are less blatant), are in for a bit of a surprise this summer.

UEFA have to defend FFP otherwise the whole exercise was pointless, and because of the legal channels that are going to be open for every club denied a place in Europe by the likes of City. It is also the case that there really is no reason for any of the big clubs to defend the likes of City, indeed they may well demand that UEFA deal with them.

This is why I think there is a good chance that City, and hopefully the RS (though their offences under FFP are less blatant), are in for a bit of a surprise this summer.

UEFA have to defend FFP otherwise the whole exercise was pointless, and because of the legal channels that are going to be open for every club denied a place in Europe by the likes of City. It is also the case that there really is no reason for any of the big clubs to defend the likes of City, indeed they may well demand that UEFA deal with them.

It'll be rats in the sack time. If Utd, as expected, come 6th or 7th, then expect the legal boys to have a field day.......

I think you're getting your hopes up unnecessarily mate. From a marketing point of view, UEFA want teams like City and Liverpool in their showpiece competition. They will find a loophole for them to jump through. It's the way the world works.

UEFA would rather sweep the whole thing under the carpet imo, however, in their desire to be seen to legislate, they've had to create a framework & set of rules that is seen to do justice to the notion of FFP.

In doing so, they've potentially created a way that will force them to actually follow through with the threatened sanctions. As those clubs directly affected by the potential inclusion of a rule breaking side could well have the right to pursue UEFA through the courts.

I think you're getting your hopes up unnecessarily mate. From a marketing point of view, UEFA want teams like City and Liverpool in their showpiece competition. They will find a loophole for them to jump through. It's the way the world works.

The RS havent been in the CL for five years, and City have only managed to get out of the group once and look like going out at the first hurdle anyway. In marketing terms, neither of them would be worth as much as United.

just you watch, they'll wait until a smaller club doesn't comply with the rules in a couple of years i.e. someone from bulgaria and they'll kick them out and say "you can't say we didn't say so". i highly doubt they're going to use clubs from england as their first wipping boys.

little tap on the wrist or a fine will be what they dish out.

"The club increased turnover by nine per cent to £206.1m while external debt fell to £45.1m thanks to a loan from owners Fenway Sports Group."

How can a debt fall by taking a loan? Anyone know?

just you watch, they'll wait until a smaller club doesn't comply with the rules in a couple of years i.e. someone from bulgaria and they'll kick them out and say "you can't say we didn't say so". i highly doubt they're going to use clubs from england as their first wipping boys.

little tap on the wrist or a fine will be what they dish out.
Not even that,

4) Will clubs be automatically excluded if they are not in line with FFP? Which clubs are in danger?

UEFA is bound to confidentiality, so no information on a particular club is provided before official decisions are taken.

If a club is not in line with the regulations, it will be UEFA's Club Financial Control Body that decides on measures and sanctions.

A breach of the regulations does not mean that a club will be excluded automatically, but there will be no exceptions. Depending on various factors (e.g. the trend of the break-even result) different disciplinary measures may be imposed against a club. There is a catalogue of measures:
a) warning
b) reprimand
c) fine
d) deduction of points
e) withholding of revenues from a UEFA competition
f) prohibition on registering new players in UEFA competitions
g) restriction on the number of players that a club may register for participation in UEFA competitions, including a financial limit on the overall aggregate cost of the employee benefits expenses of players registered on the A-list for the purposes of UEFA club competitions
h) disqualification from competitions in progress and/or exclusion from future competitions
i) withdrawal of a title or award

I'm guessing they will just get a warning - if that.

"The club increased turnover by nine per cent to £206.1m while external debt fell to £45.1m thanks to a loan from owners Fenway Sports Group."

Not read the accounts, but it sounds like they've replaced some debt to external lenders with a loan from their own holding company.

I see that but if I paid a bank loan back by borrowing off a family member am I not still in debt for the same amount(no interest to pay obv)
Yes. LFC are just using clever words to hide this - note they talk about 'external' debt falling.

External debt is the key phrase here I think. The total debt hasn't fallen but the amount owed to outsiders has. I assume the loan from FSG will have favourable terms over whoever they have paid off.

External debt is the key phrase here I think. The total debt hasn't fallen but the amount owed to outsiders has. I assume the loan from FSG will have favourable terms over whoever they have paid off.

toffeedan would know more probably, but isnt it the case that inter-group loans usually have (on the surface anyway) worse terms and conditions, so as to reduce the potential tax liabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back