• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say that that is true. Who cares? What makes that case special? More importantly, why would a Liverpool monopolised media drag the club's name through the mud for months and months?

Cos the rs players lied about it and got the players wearing T-shirts which then turned it into a media frenzy and like most people hate the club who are a disgrace to English football.

I was trying to have an intelligent exchange. I don't know if I can respond to the sheer wit of of a bunch of gifs, but here goes.

It was stated that the purpose of this thread was to address the monopoly that Liverpool enjoy in the media. So I ask, why is it that the most hysterical, vitriolic reporting of recent memory occurred during the Suarez/Evra affair? It was in literally every paper in the country for months. Let me make it clear that I am not defending Suarez. Let's assume that he is racist. He probably did say those things. But, it came down to one man's word vs another's. Compare this to the Terry/Anton Ferdinand case which occurred at about the same time, which caught Terry speaking on camera and after the first few showings, his mouth would be blurred out when the clip was shown, and eventually it wouldn't be shown at all. Or compare it to the recent Anelka case. In another thread, there were debates about whether or not it is an offensive gesture (seriously!). There are many examples. Bosnich doing a Hitler type salute at White Hart Lane etc. None of these incidents attracted the same media scrutiny as the Suarez affair.

I am not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm not an idiot. There are actual conspiracies, and overusing the term cheapens it. But, you state that the purpose of this thread is to discuss Liverpool's monopolisation of the media. I say that is complete bullshit and the Suarez/Evra case is an example that renders such a position untenable.

The hysteria was generated by the Liverpool supporting hacks in support of their fallen Klansman.

Dear me. You really are pissing against the wind here lad.

Jaysus boys. All I said was football fans are hypocrites and slamming a whole group of people for behaviour we all engage in is hypocritical. Then there are insinuations I'm a rs. Weird

I was trying to have an intelligent exchange. I don't know if I can respond to the sheer wit of of a bunch of gifs, but here goes.

It was stated that the purpose of this thread was to address the monopoly that Liverpool enjoy in the media. So I ask, why is it that the most hysterical, vitriolic reporting of recent memory occurred during the Suarez/Evra affair? It was in literally every paper in the country for months. Let me make it clear that I am not defending Suarez. Let's assume that he is racist. He probably did say those things. But, it came down to one man's word vs another's. Compare this to the Terry/Anton Ferdinand case which occurred at about the same time, which caught Terry speaking on camera and after the first few showings, his mouth would be blurred out when the clip was shown, and eventually it wouldn't be shown at all. Or compare it to the recent Anelka case. In another thread, there were debates about whether or not it is an offensive gesture (seriously!). There are many examples. Bosnich doing a Hitler type salute at White Hart Lane etc. None of these incidents attracted the same media scrutiny as the Suarez affair.

I am not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm not an idiot. There are actual conspiracies, and overusing the term cheapens it. But, you state that the purpose of this thread is to discuss Liverpool's monopolisation of the media. I say that is complete bullshit and the Suarez/Evra case is an example that renders such a position untenable.

Because 'everybody' wants racism tackled with the most strongest punishments and deep investigations.

They did not want to let it go because it needed to be addressed, can you imagine a footballing world where the media just go 'ah well, he was bad but lets move on' to racist abuse. Add to the fact that the club blatantly wanted to tell the world that it was OK to racially abuse somebody.

Hopefully that answers the question.

Also, was Terry's mouth ever blurred and if it was maybe it was because he said [Poor language removed] before the word. A lot of other incidents did not have the club trying head over heels to defend the actions. It was your own club that kept it in the media spotlight and your clubs decisions that were being spoken about.

Let's say that that is true. Who cares? What makes that case special? More importantly, why would a Liverpool monopolised media drag the club's name through the mud for months and months?

Let's say it's a fact, let's not stand on ceremony and overlook the facts.

The very fact you don't grasp why it's not "special".

You hold your club up as some esteemed well run, and well followed traditional club with a worldwide following, arguably the biggest game in the world ( professionally, arguable - commercially, definitely) and your idol racially abuses another player, this club which runs it's rule over the wrongdoings of those In charge at any give opportunity with the same nightly sense of self entitlement that breeds this discussion.

The clubs name? Surely this very principle of the media is to report? Surely Suarez was to blame for bringing the media a plate upon which to feast for a long time?

That is a different question. It's probably because Liverpool were successful for a long time. Now that the Premier League era players are retiring, those players are becoming pundits, eg. Lineker, Shearer, Merson, Schmeichel, Gary Neville. You could just as easily point to the number of ex ManU players going into management. It's high, but so what?

Tosh.

They haven't won a title for twenty+ years and yet still more Liverpool pundits are being added. Carragher, McManaman, David James. All either average or crap at commenting on football and all regularly given time alongside the already established Kopite group of Redknapp, Hansen, Lawrenson et al.

You're either incredibly dense or incredibly naive if you don't think that Liverpool have a massive media influence.

Maybe if the club took action and fined him and told him it was unacceptable and would accept any punishment from the F.A then it would have blown over.

Tosh.

They haven't won a title for twenty+ years and yet still more Liverpool pundits are being added. Carragher, McManaman, David James. All either average or crap at commenting on football and all regularly given time alongside the already established Kopite group of Redknapp, Hansen, Lawrenson et al.

You're either incredibly dense or incredibly naive if you don't think that Liverpool have a massive media influence.

I'm half expecting Tarby to turn up as a pundit now he's been let off.

Tosh.

Don't forget the legend that is Neil Mellor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back