Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint steven gbh can do no wrong though..oh wait he's already gotten away with it....just hope that Jose has something up his sleeve....like a paving stone !!

didnt matthaus completely mark him out the game a few times, so my dad tells me anyway

He was assigned this in the '86 cup final and did a superb job. Except Argentina still won 3-2. The tactic was a mistake as we missed the drive of Lothar as he was busy marking the opposition's creative player. Matthäus is in the top 10 players of all time, so I wouldn't make this a huge black mark against Maradona.

1990 was a poor game by most of the players, even Maradona and Matthäus. The first World Cup final without a goal in open play and where one team failed to score, and the beginning of the cautious-era in football which also saw a poor final in 1994 by legends of the game like Baggio and Romario.

Marradona didn't even win the European Cup

Crap

Who said he did? You probably misread "a European trophy". He won the UEFA cup.

Ronaldo is the best this league has seen IMO

Thierry Henry is...in my opinion.

Last edited:
Maradona's the greatest of all time. Even Engländers recognise this. He was outstanding for 10 years, not even the likes of Platini, Matthäus and Gullit were at his level. He had a great world cup in '82, and was superlative in '90. '86 he was beyond-words. Even in 94 he was very good. Just look at the goals he scored at these tournaments, how important they were. Then go further and look at the full matches to see his dominating creative influence.

Messi and Cronaldo? What have they ever done on the biggest stage of all?

And at club-level, what Maradona did at Napoli (over several seasons, not just one) has never been repeated. He scored almost 1-in-2 in 200 games for them...he was a midfielder or at his most advanced a Beardsley-position.

It's like Messi coming to Newcastle and within 5 years he's scored 100 goals, they've won a couple of titles, couple of cups and a European trophy. Easily their most successful period in their entire history.

Is Messi that good that he alone could inspire that?

Maradonna better than Pele, Matthews, Johan, Der Kaiser, Di Stephano, Puskas?

I could keep listing people

The answer is no

Trumped up little gimp who scored one good goal and milked it for the rest of his career

Hate the little git

Probably not in 82 and 86, but I think he probably was in 90

In 86 he benefitted from being surrounded by a much stronger group of supporting players than they are given credit for and a run against European teams in extreme heat when it got to the knock outs

On the one hand you are telling people you are glad you "missed" what what was happening in football in the 80s but on the other you are an expert on World Cups and Italian football from that era.

Boys like you are said to need a good memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back