2021/22 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving players a go to see if they’ve got it is exactly how you end up in a situation where average players end up staying. The key is to make your decision on how good a player is before you get to that stage.

We need to be more clinical, at an earlier point.

It sounds strange, but I was pleased to see Matthew Malloj departing as an under 18. Hed captained the team, done ok in the reserves as a 17 year old, but they've obviously looked at him and just felt he wasnt going to make the 1st team.

He would have probably been a solid reserves player for 2-3 years, but honestly we have to be quite selective about who is or isnt given game time.

But they should only be given a chance to ‘prove’ themselves if the underlying feeling is that they are good enough and all that’s left for them to do is actually prove it on the pitch. If the underlying feeling is that they aren’t good enough then you shouldn’t just give players a go to see whether it’s possible you were wrong. I’m not talking about simms in particular here, it’s just a common shout and I’m not a fan of it.
I know where you're coming from but i do think that some young players can be decidedly average until they get better players around them and can flourish in the first team. I wouldn't want to throw a young lad away without letting them have a crack, admittedly they have to show some level of aptitude but i think we're both agreeing basically that we don't want money wasting on youth players that turn into middle aged (football wise) average players.

We need to be more clinical, at an earlier point.

It sounds strange, but I was pleased to see Matthew Malloj departing as an under 18. Hed captained the team, done ok in the reserves as a 17 year old, but they've obviously looked at him and just felt he wasnt going to make the 1st team.

He would have probably been a solid reserves player for 2-3 years, but honestly we have to be quite selective about who is or isnt given game time.
Equally somebody on here was on about a scouting video they'd seen where the scouts decided the lad they were watching wasn't what they wanted because he was wearing gloves, i mean wtf kind of selection policy is that!!

Hearts fan here. He has been great for us at our level, Ideally he would come back next year and help is in the group stages in Europe next year. Great finish yesterday but finishing hasn't been his strong point, he is great at moving the defence around, linking up and making space for others. He does get good chances every week but doesn't always finish them.
You can have him back in a year's time. He is not ready to start in the EPL yet.

Hearts fan here. He has been great for us at our level, Ideally he would come back next year and help is in the group stages in Europe next year. Great finish yesterday but finishing hasn't been his strong point, he is great at moving the defence around, linking up and making space for others. He does get good chances every week but doesn't always finish them.
You can have him back in a year's time. He is not ready to start in the EPL yet.
Sounds like a good excuse for you to keep him ...to me.....

If, and it’s a big if, Richarlison moves on, I think he’ll be invaluable next season…even we manage to hold on to Richy.

If, and it’s a big if, Richarlison moves on, I think he’ll be invaluable next season…even we manage to hold on to Richy.
Richarlison was always likely to move on this summer, as is DCL.

Simms will be needed at Everton. We will need to sign another striker, but Simms will be backup.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he hardly plays for us. Not wanting to be negative but the quality gap to play centreforward in the premier league is massive. We have Brazil’s number 9 and England’s reserve number 9 after Kane at the club and a good number of fans have questioned them about a lack of quality.

I’d love every lad from the academy to make it but far too often fans see a kind doing ok in the reserves and then it’s campaign after campaign to get them into the first team and then to have them starting. Most of them just aren’t good enough.

Lampard has barely given any minutes to Dobbin Onyango Patterson (pre injury) Branthwaite (unless he’s been forced to) and he’s a manager renowned for bringing through young players. He still might, but it shows he doesn’t want to rely on them in a relegation battle as they’re probably not ready (Branthwaite aside).

The fact that we have Gordon starting every game in the first team is great but some fans seem to have an expectation that every kid coming through should just be thrown into the first team. It’s very unlikely for most to be good enough. We’ve arguably given far too many (Davies Kenny Dowell etc.) opportunities that they’ve not really deserved.

He's been sent on loan to prove a point.
He can only beat what is in front of him.
Fairplay to him, up to now, he's proving the point.

He comes back has July, August and has to show improvement in 1st team training.
If the SPL or The Championship is his level, then both parties, take the money and run.

Sell him to Hearts.
The likelihood is that Hearts will try to keep him on loan next season for European group stage football as well as domestically pushing for silverware. It’s great experience for Simms playing at a packed-out Tynecastle rather than going into Everton reserves or on loan to some middling club like MK Dons or the like.

Probably after then, Everton can make the call and decide if he’s going to get a shot at the first team or do Hearts start negotiating a permanent transfer like we did with Beni Baningime.

Big Simms is still a little raw, but I think he had outstanding traits already and tremendous potential. Just needs to polish up on decision-making and refine his finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.