2021/22 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mean to expand on the above, is Dobbin even playing anywhere? I dont really follow the U23s, but I dont recall seeing him.

Poor lad is in limbo atm, he needs games.

Im all for Dobbin and Simms, but given their age and their lack of chances at this club, I cant honestly see either ever making a dent here.

Very happy to be proven wrong.
Same here mate, really frustrated that they haven’t got more minutes.

Unless we’re getting in proven quality then they should be in the march day squad next season.

Hope Simms stays with Hearts. It’s looking a good fit for where he is, rather than torpedoing his career hanging on for Everton. Hearts will be in Europe next year too which will aid his development and he’s subject to expectation at Tynecastle, how rapidly he develops will give some idea of his ceiling. Hearts should benefit financially from that.

I disagree not if it's done properly, I'm all for giving a guy a chance to prove himself especially if he's already under contract. We need to avoid giving players contracts so they can prove themselves.
But they should only be given a chance to ‘prove’ themselves if the underlying feeling is that they are good enough and all that’s left for them to do is actually prove it on the pitch. If the underlying feeling is that they aren’t good enough then you shouldn’t just give players a go to see whether it’s possible you were wrong. I’m not talking about simms in particular here, it’s just a common shout and I’m not a fan of it.

Im all for Dobbin and Simms, but given their age and their lack of chances at this club, I cant honestly see either ever making a dent here.

Simms is on loan to gain experience and is doing well. I think he will get chances next season.

Dobbin needs first team experience. He needs a loan.

Very difficult to break into the first team without experience. Gordon has shown how a loan can boost a career.

But they should only be given a chance to ‘prove’ themselves if the underlying feeling is that they are good enough and all that’s left for them to do is actually prove it on the pitch. If the underlying feeling is that they aren’t good enough then you shouldn’t just give players a go to see whether it’s possible you were wrong. I’m not talking about simms in particular here, it’s just a common shout and I’m not a fan of it.

I seem to remember similar coming from Unsworth when he first started. I'm not an Unsworth hater either, but I always found it odd when he said it. He started going on about "keeping the team together" and "bringing them through as a group into the first team" and always felt that was extremely strange.

I know some phrase it that he was putting his managerial aspirations first. It may have been. But I suspect it was more just a lack of ruthlessness on his part.

The issue is though, those words then get filtered down, via journalists, media outlets and supporters, and there comes an unrealistic expectation.

Prior to his appointment, under Stubbs, Holden, Ray Hall etc there was a clearer understanding it was about the individual progressing, rather than the team. I hope we go back to that.

They are different ages though mate. Dobbin has just turned 19.

Hes the same age Gordon was when he was kicking about the first team. He has a long way to go, but hes on a path a long way ahead of Simms.

Status
Not open for further replies.