2021/22 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be interesting to see how he fares next term. My impression is he's very strong but on the slow side. Not much wrong with his shooting boots though.
He’s faster than people give him credit for. When running into a through ball he can outpace or hold is own against defenders, if he has to take a touch though it often lets him down and he looks slow, basically he’s faster without the ball!

He’s faster than people give him credit for. When running into a through ball he can outpace or hold is own against defenders, if he has to take a touch though it often lets him down and he looks slow, basically he’s faster without the ball!
Yeah, from what I’ve seen touch is more of an issue than pace but that can be worked on. The pace thing doesn’t concern me: with Gray, Gordon and Richy we have bags of pace at the moment but sometimes their legs are too quick for their brains and they waste the positions they get into or just keep running down a blind alley. If Simms can make clever runs, use his strength to hold off defenders and pick out finishes like he has done the last two games he offers something the others currently don’t.

This is the case for like 99% of footballers.
Yep, probably 100% , hence my “!” at the end. I was trying to highlight the difference between his speed off the ball when running onto a pass played by someone else and his inability to often show a turn of speed when he has to play the ball himself, hence people thinks he’s slow. Over a straight 30 yards there probably isn’t a lot of difference between Gordon and Simms, but we've seen how good Gordon’s touch , spin and away at speed is, Simms can’t come close to that touch, spin, away, type of speed .

His finishing has never been questioned, you only have to look at his numbers to see that he knows where the goal is. Its the rest of his game.

I still think personally he wont make it in the PL. He just isnt quick enough

Hope im proven wrong as he's a goalscorer

Good to see him doing well but the step up from SPL to the PL is massive.
Plenty have made it though. He’s scored for the third best team in Scotland v the best team in Scotland while for context the second best team in Scotland are in the Europa final. No different to coming from the Championship and 21 year olds make that step up successfully all the time.

His finishing has never been questioned, you only have to look at his numbers to see that he knows where the goal is. Its the rest of his game.

I still think personally he wont make it in the PL. He just isnt quick enough

Hope im proven wrong as he's a goalscorer
Pace isn’t the only part of the game though. I’ve watched several Hearts games and he does the target man thing really well, and he makes intelligent runs. We have bags of pace in Gray, Gordon and Richy but often what we lack is a guy in the right place at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.