• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

England's provisional 26 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we'd have had a go we would have been utterly smashed.

Getting it to the lottery of penos was the correct call as it was the only way we had a chance.

Rather try and get smashed than not try and go out on penalties.

Penalties isn't a lottery when England are involved either, it's the complete opposite.

Just trying to imagine the thought process of an England manager who thinks our best chance of going through is on penalties lol

We didn't even try and counter that game either, it was next level negativity which I'd never seen from a England side before.

Of course we could have done better, better would have been at least trying to score a goal. Go back and watch it, it was truly horrendous... the most negative performance I've seen from an England side in a major tournament.

The first half was quite even, the second half and extra time England got battered and should have lost like 20-0.

I don't think it was negativity, I just think that team was crap.

Rather try and get smashed than not try and go out on penalties.

Penalties isn't a lottery when England are involved either, it's the complete opposite.

Just trying to imagine the thought process of an England manager who thinks our best chance of going through is on penalties lol

As I say, he's a safe choice as manager. Playing defensive and maybe knicking one (as Rooney nearly did I recall) is much more preferable than playing an open game against an Italy that had Pirlo and Ballotelli amongst others playing really well. We'd have got smashed.

No offence meant, but you strike me as the type who had we gone out all attacking and got smashed you'd be on here now calling Roy clueless for not playing defensive.

The first half was quite even, the second half and extra time England got battered and should have lost like 20-0.

I don't think it was negativity, I just think that team was crap.

There's definitely this fact too. Couldn't have attacked even if they wanted to.

As I say, he's a safe choice as manager. Playing defensive and maybe knicking one (as Rooney nearly did I recall) is much more preferable than playing an open game against an Italy that had Pirlo and Ballotelli amongst others playing really well. We'd have got smashed.

No offence meant, but you strike me as the type who had we gone out all attacking and got smashed you'd be on here now calling Roy clueless for not playing defensive.

I wouldn't have gone all out attack but wouldn't have gone all out defence either. Nothing more wet and lame than predictably going out on penalties after 120 minutes of moyes style football, that's probably being harsh on moyes as well.

Worse teams have beaten better teams by having a go many times before as well, it's not like upsets can't happen in the sport.

I wouldn't have gone all out attack but wouldn't have gone all out defence either. Nothing more wet and lame than predictably going out on penalties after 120 minutes of moyes style football, that's probably being harsh on moyes as well.

Worse teams have beaten better teams by having a go many times before as well, it's not like upsets can't happen in the sport.

Surely the fact remains that a 0-0 against a decent Italy team isn't emabrassing.

And as the point I made says, that's all I think the FA is bothered about.

I keep saying it. Roy is a very safe option for the FA.

All they care about is guarenteed qualification. Which Roy will get.

And not being smashed or totally embarrassed by anyone. Which Roy will manage.

The last euros we aren't embarrassed. The World Cup we lost 2-1 twice. Hardly embarrassing.

He's safe. We won't ever won a thing with him of course either.
I don't know enough about the FA's mindset to dispute any of that, and to be honest it makes sense. I just find it mad that a country which always sends one of the highest earning squads to each tournament would accept being eliminated without winning a game.

I don't know enough about the FA's mindset to dispute any of that, and to be honest it makes sense. I just find it mad that a country which always sends one of the highest earning squads to each tournament would accept being eliminated without winning a game.

Sadly even if we did ever really go for it I don't think we ever would have a squad good enough to actually win one. No matter how much the players earn.

But you never know I guess.

The thing is literally every english fan before 2014 said 'we're not going to win the thing, lets just send some kids and give them experience'.

Hodgson remit has been to replace the 'golden generation' and bring through a new team. He's done that, this is the youngest team england's ever sent to a majpr tournament.

That's why he was given two bad tournaments, because the fa understand that it was about bleeding kids.

France and Russia were always the targets, I think. The fa gave up on brazil because england team's traditionally struggle in hot weather. He won't be given a pass if he fails this time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back