• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

England's provisional 26 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
As always, this squad has purely been picked on names, not how good the player is or how good a season they've had.

Barkely wouldn't have made the squad if I was picking it, and I definitely would have included Jagielka. Our defence is bad enough without having to rely on a midfielder playing centre back in case of injury or suspension. Any of the faceless, talentless crap from midfield could have made way for him.
To be honest, Im glad Jags wasn't near the squad after just returning from his injury. Hopefully the Summer break will recharge him for our benefit this time round and no possibility of him being hung out to dry like at the World Cup exit.

I

To be honest, Im glad Jags wasn't near the squad after just returning from his injury. Hopefully the Summer break will recharge him for our benefit this time round and no possibility of him being hung out to dry like at the World Cup exit.

Sure, I agree on that, but from a neutral footballing point of view, it's just poor decision making from Roy.

I

I agree with all the shouts that it's good for our players not to go from an Everton point of view but I can't help but feel gutted for them.

They definitely will have all wanted to go.

Picking Henderson ahead Drinkwater is utterly bizarre.

I'm ambivalent towards the rest of the selection, pleased to see Rashford included as an option from the bench.

It's bad enough that Hodgson is even in the job after that performance at the World Cup.

It made sense when Eriksson took a risk on Michael Owen and David Beckham when they were carrying knocks; I don't think Jordan Henderson should command similar treatment. Unlike Wilshire, there isn't even an argument that he's particularly suited to international football.

The decision to overlook Drinkwater, coming off a season where he was a vital cog in a title-winning side, pretty much sums Hodgson up. I hope his troupe of yard dogs are made to play against Modric and Rakitic before they're turfed out of the competition.

Sterling and Barkley have been laughably bad for months on end, but I suppose there wasn't exactly a glut of great players looking to take their spots.

Hodgson has been loyal to the group of midfielders who got us to the finals in style. I don't see a lot wrong with that.

Time to dig the flag out, polish up the DMs and get a couple of neck tattoos.

Eng-er-lund etc.

Will be supporting them 100% and trying to forget what a little snide Wilshere is for a few days (til he gets injured).

The problem is there are no potential replacements to be honest.
No one outstanding, but after being sent packing without winning a game, I think the manager has to walk on principle. Especially when he's already been given a free pass for the previous Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back