Everton 0-0 Tottenham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright match, just got back from it now...so

Howard - 6 - nothin to do...made one save, a couple of simple catches etc...

Neville - 5 - Never chose the right passing option
Jagielka - 7 - Couple of mistakes, but he played well throughout the game.
Lescott - 8 - Solid.
Valente - 7 - Played well, and did well to keep up with lennon.

Arteta - 7 - Still not shooting enough!, some good crosses and passes though
Fernandes - Not sure what to give him really, he played great sometimes in that match, but gave the ball away alot of times too, he made an exquisite pass to johnson though, i dont think anyone saw it coming.
Carsley - 6 - STOP SIDE FOOTING THE BALL WHEN YOUR SHOOTING
Baines - 6 - Did alright i guess, coming bakc from injury, and on the left wing.

Johnson - 6 - Touch of a Rapist. Missed a good chance, but was tireless.
Anichebe - 7 - Made some mistakes, but his passing was good, he layed off johnson twice for him to shoot on goal.

Referee - I thought he was good tonight, fair, but abit picky (making people taket hte throwins EXACTLY where they should be etc...)

My only criticism of tonight is the fact that we kept hoofing the ball to johnson - the smallest player on the pitch. why?! ANd also why did anichebe come off for vaughan and not johnson, anichebe was playing better.

MoM - Lescott

Good result, and all the other results were good too...

And also the screen at the end, the guy put the score as 1-0 to liverpool - it was a big shock :D then he changed it afterwards...man city drew, and portsmouth lost. :)

I get the feeling that we do so much running that we start to tire out late. I think we need to get more subs on.

We desperately need a Pedro Mendes type of player who can get a good shot on goal at the top of the penalty box. Teams don't even mark us up there anymore and bait Carsley to shoot it high and wide. Maybe Manny could do the job?

Dom, Johnson has the touch of a rapist???? You sure about that? Anichebe played well, but Johnson was the threat. Fernandes drifted in and out but had a few good tackles and a couple of very tasty passes. And what the hell is with Arteta? Is he afraid to shoot? He had a couple of opportunities from the 18 and he chose to pass rather than lash it.

I am disappointed we didn't win. Dropped 2 points as far as I am concerned.

Oh, as for Berbatov's late chance. It looked like a foul on Fernandes that started the move. Seen it called for less than that.

ANd also why did anichebe come off for vaughan and not johnson, anichebe was playing better.

Anichebe was spent. He admits he still has trouble playing 90 minutes.

We should have at least hoofed the ball up to Vaughn and played Johnson behind him.

Spurs defence played well too, I'd never thought I'd write that.

They played well because of Woodgates cool head, he held them together, most impressive debut. Capello will be including him in his first squad I'm sure.

We were better than the radio commentary suggested and in fairness Fernandes showed some great touches in the first half, yet again (and he did it when he was here last year and fit) he went missing and tired a lot towards the end. Is he only a sixty minute player and does he have concentration problems, he will have to produce much more than that to make the side when Pienaar is back.

At least Manny took a pop at goal from range. Something Arteta seems afraid to do. Except from the odd freekick.

They played well because of Woodgates cool head, he held them together, most impressive debut. Capello will be including him in his first squad I'm sure.

We were better than the radio commentary suggested and in fairness Fernandes showed some great touches in the first half, yet again (and he did it when he was here last year and fit) he went missing and tired a lot towards the end. Is he only a sixty minute player and does he have concentration problems, he will have to produce much more than that to make the side when Pienaar is back.

Listening to the radio i'd agree with you about Fernades DM must think long and hard about signing him full time and wether its worth it or not.

Overall just about happy with a point to be honest..its not like we lost in the last minute like another local team did tonight :)

Befrore closing, we are a much better side without Fernandes, Ronnie Goodlas will be in the studio until about 10.14 if you have any questions, I want to listen to the rs moan it will cheer me up no end

Monty, you and I get on ok so don't take it personally when I tell you that you're talking out of your arse when you say that "we're a much better side without Fernandes" unless you meant to say that "we are a much better side WITH Fernandes."

I mean really, I can't stop laughing. Other than Arteta, he was the only player who could make space for himself, create for others, create for himself, and break up attacks.

Did he make some mistakes tonight? Oh sure. But I haven't seen a player play a perfect match yet. I'd also chalk his losing steam at the end of the match due to fitness as he wasn't getting any time at Valencia.

Other than that, my observations from the match:
  • Johnson - Just absolutely could not be in the right place in the right time tonight. I mean how many times did you get out of your chair in anticipation only to sit back down in frustration?
  • Arteta played another very good match but his set piece delivery again was lacking.
  • I can't tell you how many times I screamed at my TV to tell the Everton players to swing the ball out wide in the final third. Everytime Carsley, Johnson, (name your player) got the ball from the right, they'd go back right instead of using Baines out left. Baines had to come inside to get the ball since they weren't getting it to him.
  • Lescott and Jags were solid as usual and Jags made several good saves. However Woodgate and Huddlestone were equal to the task for Spurs.
  • Keane...didn't know he was playing till minute 87.
  • I made my point about Fernandes above but you can just see the class.
  • Neville had a shocker of a game.

All in all, I called for a draw before the match but I'm still disappointed that we didn't get all three points, especially with City and the rs losing their matches.

But one thing is very clear, when we have all of our players to choose from, we are easily in the top four sides in the country.

Roll on Saturday.

I'm thinking about not listening to the game tonight but watching it 'live' on MotD in the morning (Sky+)

I was falling asleep anyway and was in bed before Ronaldo opened the scoring for manure (well I AM a postman!:blink:) so have now just finished watching MotD from last night. After seeing - and rejoicing at - the [Poor language removed] getting beat it was a bit easier for me to watch the 0-0. Seeing as it was the 4th match on I wasn't expecting a great game, or many goals, and I had this nagging feeling that we might have lost 0-1 so I was very relieved when it was over. I was also pleased that we limited them to 3 shots.

Now let's beat Blackburn and get that goal difference better then the [Poor language removed]'s too! (y)

Well I thought we were good value for three points last night.

Not sure the pairing of Anichebe AJ was a good starting point. I thought Vaughan and AJ may have been ideal at the start with Vic coming in late he usually gives us that little vim and vigor and his strike rate later in a game speaks volumes on that.

I though Jags stepped it up again and looked tremendous. He and Lescott looks very firm. A big worry on Neville he is absolutely driving me insane with his bonehead passing. How has he so many admirers I just don't get it.

AJ finished well at Wigan but should have done better on that ace pass from Fernandes. I love Manny and follow him around the pitch and does little wrong on and off the ball. Something has baffled me on Arteta he just hasn't been the same lately I hope he isn't unhappy with us.

Thread bare squad with the Faddy sale we had DaSilva & VDM on the bench Ouch! Pienaar with injury trouble ouch again. Still, the Noble penalty made my day and all the other gloomy things all just evaporated. The [Poor language removed] are in a big mess.

This game at Rovers is huge. It can be a big rubberstamp event. We need to seize the day and get some daylight in the second tier pack.

Monty, you and I get on ok so don't take it personally when I tell you that you're talking out of your arse when you say that "we're a much better side without Fernandes" unless you meant to say that "we are a much better side WITH Fernandes."

I mean really, I can't stop laughing. Other than Arteta, he was the only player who could make space for himself, create for others, create for himself, and break up attacks.

Did he make some mistakes tonight? Oh sure. But I haven't seen a player play a perfect match yet. I'd also chalk his losing steam at the end of the match due to fitness as he wasn't getting any time at Valencia.

Other than that, my observations from the match:
  • Johnson - Just absolutely could not be in the right place in the right time tonight. I mean how many times did you get out of your chair in anticipation only to sit back down in frustration?
  • Arteta played another very good match but his set piece delivery again was lacking.
  • I can't tell you how many times I screamed at my TV to tell the Everton players to swing the ball out wide in the final third. Everytime Carsley, Johnson, (name your player) got the ball from the right, they'd go back right instead of using Baines out left. Baines had to come inside to get the ball since they weren't getting it to him.
  • Lescott and Jags were solid as usual and Jags made several good saves. However Woodgate and Huddlestone were equal to the task for Spurs.
  • Keane...didn't know he was playing till minute 87.
  • I made my point about Fernandes above but you can just see the class.
  • Neville had a shocker of a game.

All in all, I called for a draw before the match but I'm still disappointed that we didn't get all three points, especially with City and the rs losing their matches.

But one thing is very clear, when we have all of our players to choose from, we are easily in the top four sides in the country.

Roll on Saturday.

TX, I was pleased when he called DM to see if he could come back, it showed a degree of loyalty that surprised me. That said he was an abject failure at Valencia, his tenure there cannot be described in any other fashion. Last season I levied the same criticism against as I did last night and certainly did after the Chelsea game. Every time people come along with a string of excuses, he's not fit, why he is a pro footballer after all is said and done, plays passes to feet at MPH is no good if those around you don't expect it, a reluctance to shoot (yes this can also be held against Arteta) when he has a spectacular shot on him. To see a midfielder ambling round the centre circle when his goal is under siege doesn't wash in my book. I would like to see the guy succeed but I have huge doubts about him and I have yet to see anything that convinces me otherwise but I'm patient.

Monty, I don't feel as glum about Manny really.

One. I have great confidence if he doesn't help the back four like Moyes likes his opportunities will diminish with time.

Two. We really have to give him a spell to get back to business again with us and shouldn't be to judgemental yet.

Three. Pedigree he has just a great upside and brings a bag of tricks with him as well.

Sounds like I have rose coloured glasses doesn't it. I think he will be a big asset for us.

Monty, I don't feel as glum about Manny really.

One. I have great confidence if he doesn't help the back four like Moyes likes his opportunities will diminish with time.

Two. We really have to give him a spell to get back to business again with us and shouldn't be to judgemental yet.

Three. Pedigree he has just a great upside and brings a bag of tricks with him as well.

Sounds like I have rose coloured glasses doesn't it. I think he will be a big asset for us.

TBM, honestly don't get me wrong I always hope that any signing makes it with us. The boy has loads of skill, no question about that whatsoever, it his application that concerns me, always has, he faded every time he played for us last term and I will be deligthed to be proved wrong but, and this is a question you must all ask yourselves, why did he flop so dramatically at Valencia?

True Monty. Maybe his fluency for the Spanish game wasn't as geared up due to his experience in the Prem with us and Pompey. I felt in the Chelsea game he had space he could have utilized better and really didn't want to take a player on. I rate his passing skills and could provide a decent pop from the outside every now and then. I really enjoyed his pass to AJ last night which should have found the back of the net. But I have to agree with you on last year he did seem absent in some games and perhaps the big question is will a run of games give him more confidence with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back