"Everton can't deal with crosses"

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaCarthy had a very good game yesterday untill that vital first goal of theirs the corner came to him he should have put it in row Z instead of hoofing it striaght to the guy who bent the cross inn for that crucial goal it's as a defence we don't do the simple things Mori will find row Z no other defender does!

Mori was also at fault for missing all of his headers for their goals though as well Joey.

It's as a unit it just needs to be better

Mori was also at fault for missing all of his headers for their goals though as well Joey.

It's as a unit it just needs to be better
Agree though that first important goal for them should have been booted into the bullins stand by Mccarthy not to their overlapping fullback a great pass by Mccarthy - NOT!

The problem is that we're defending our six yard line. We should be pushing out and defending the edge of the box. It would have to be some header to score from there. Even on corners we should be moving out as soon as we've cleared the first ball. Defending so deep is asking for trouble.

Yes we can. Apparently

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...rton-dont-weakness-defending-crosses-11007491

Roberto Martinez has hit back at West Ham United's claims Everton have a weakness defending crosses – but admits his side are still being hampered by lapses at the back.

Hammers striker Michail Antonio, whose goal sparked the Londoners' dramatic 3-2 comeback at Goodison on Saturday, revealed the visitors had pinpointed what they perceived is a vulnerability in the Blues' backline.

West Ham's first two goals originated from balls into the box from out wide , while Dimitri Payet's winner came from a long diagonal into the area headed down by Andy Carroll.

But responding to Antonio's comments, Martinez said: “It's easy to talk, especially when you've won a game.

"When we were 11 against 11, we were the better team and scored the goal to go ahead. Then we had to change things tactically and with 10 men you wouldn't have seen a difference – it was like we had the extra man.

“Then we scored another goal from open play and controlled the game completely and never got done on crosses in that period.

“It's more that we felt we had something to lose. Winning the penalty was a massive high but then missing it was an emotional low, and all of a sudden we gave West Ham momentum that unfortunately they got a big reward from.

“It's not like they bombarded the box. They had two crosses and scored two goals, that's bad defending rather than having a (specific) weakness.

“For the first 78 minutes we were defending extremely well. We scored 14 goals and conceded only two in the previous six games, and in anyone's eyes that a well-balanced team and s good defensive display.”

Everton have now lost seven home Premier League games this season – a figure surpassed only by Crystal Palace and Aston Villa – and Martinez accepts his side are making it too easy for opponents to pilfer Goodison for points.

“We're not seeing opponents beating us easily, it's the opposite,” said the Blues boss.

“We've grown as a team, we've shown we can score goals and defend really really well, but then we go into periods where we can't really defend and we get hurt too easy and concede goals that affect scorelines with extreme ease.

“I felt the last six games we'd found a really consistent level of performance in different competitions, keeping very good clean sheets.

“On Saturday, to be so good for 78 minutes, half of which was with 10 men, and then concede three goals in 12 minutes, it makes no sense.”

He really doesn't help himself at times with these comments

He needs to get the team pressing from back to front like we did in his first season. The fact we don't/can't do this anymore suggests a lack of fitness/stamina within the squad.

Firstly, a team needs two central defenders who can win headers. I like Mori but I would go as far to say that
he needs a more commanding figure beside him in the air. And it aint Jags who is fast enough around the park but is
not much good in the air. So Jags out for me.

And it aint Stones who has everything in his favour to become top class but has not shown that he can dominate people in the air. So Stones out for me. Cash in and buy a bloke who likes to jump and head that round thing

Plus I like a full back who is also handy in the air. We are a team of midgets and as for upgrading Coleman, why not? We got the dosh.

Hard words maybe but this defence aint working even after unloading that crap goalie.

He needs to get the team pressing from back to front like we did in his first season. The fact we don't/can't do this anymore suggests a lack of fitness/stamina within the squad.
which, again, points directly at him not knowing what he's doing. you can't just let teams come at you with reckless abandon, not close down, play narrow, 'defend' space and let crosses come in freely. Then, after 75 minutes our entire team is knackered and, often times, he doesn't even change it up with a sub.

I desperately wish the Year One Bobby was back. He was so boss..

which, again, points directly at him not knowing what he's doing. you can't just let teams come at you with reckless abandon, not close down, play narrow, 'defend' space and let crosses come in freely. Then, after 75 minutes our entire team is knackered and, often times, he doesn't even change it up with a sub.

I desperately wish the Year One Bobby was back. He was so boss..
Baffling isn't it, how he does nothing to rectify this issue is beyond me.

Stop the crosses into the box and we don't have an issue. Midfielders just as much to blame as the full backs here. Basic sunday league stuff that's not been looked at by the manager. Very frustrating.

Good point made above also about defending too deep. Once the ball is cleared or the opposition go backwards at all our back four needs to be up at the 18 yard line. Comes from the keeper first and then defenders to get all out. This allows midfielder's in turn to be closer to the ball and in good position to help block any crosses from deeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back