Everton history thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
I have been doing a lot of reading lately, for obvious reasons, including Derek Hodgson's 'The Everton Story' It occurred to me that many of you appear vague about the blues formative years and you might just like to learn one or two things about our history. In this regard I will post questions every few days about the club and its personnel to see who knows what and explain as far as possible the right answers. this could help you all learn a thing or two.

To start the ball rolling can any one tell me two other nicknames used by the Toffees, before we adopted the confectionary title used to this day.

Answers will appear here on Friday

black watch was one

Correct, give that man a prize Danny!(y)

That name came from the time we dyed our shirts black with a pink sash, can you believe it, must have looked like a Turkish fourth division reserve side.

The Black Watch was an army unit formed over 250 years ago and were famous for the pink heather worn in their berets/tamoshanters

The other nickname is far more difficult, so test you all I will also want to know why we were called it.

Sorry lads, both wrong. I said this one is difficult, get researching, clue?

it cannot be guessed.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done lads, Moonlight dribblers is correct. At that time Bootle were our big rivals, the [Poor language removed] had not been thought of and we were still in out formative stage. We had just played our first game against a team from outside Merseyside

Name that team and yes, what was the result, I can tell you now it was not one of our better results(y)

Don't know the answer to that, but our first foray into the Lancashire Senior Cup against Great Lever away (strong Bolton based team) we had a highly credible draw, bfore getting tonked 8-1 at home in the replay all while playing the very popular (for the time) 2-2-6 formation!! :shock:

Spot on Dylan, either you know your stuff or you've got the book.

Great Lever came from the area of Bolton containing Rivington Pike, a local beauty spot and owned by Lord Leverhulme, entrepreneur and industrialist who had his mansion built there as it over looks the entire West Lancashire area. Leverhulme became famous on Merseyside for creating the soap works at Port Sunlight and his 'workers village' which remains a major attraction to this day. A museum, dedicated to his wife, the Lady Lever Art Gallery and Museum, is world famous for its great master pieces and the greatest collection of jasper wear in the world.

Back to football.

Following that thrashing by Great Lever the players were called in for harder training, hence the Moonlight Dribblers were born, I think that name is pure Victorianna.

Shortly after this game we suffered what I believe to be was the heaviest defeat in our history, yes even worse than the 10-4 beating by the fledgling great Spurs side in the late 50's.

Can any one tell me the name of the team, the score and the year in which the game was played.

If anyone has the book, give some of the less fortunate a chance before you answer other wise we'll have completed our history tour before next Friday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back