Everton history thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one and it was against a team still playing in the upper echelons of English football

Sorry Saint you're wrong, this defeat was in the nineteenth century, I'll reveal the answer on Friday if no one gets it, Dylan get your book out:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The result was a 13 - 1 defeat by the second best team in Lancashire at that trime, Bolton Wanderers. They acquired their title because they were a team prepared to play anywhere. When you think back to those days transport, although in place, meant long journey times, you just didn't jump in a car. Wolves had a similar reputation in the midlands.

The best team in Lancashire at that time was undoubtedly Preston North End, the team from the north end of Preston was not just the best in country they were probably the best in the world although such claims were never made in those far more reserved days.

In that season we also beat Middleton in the Lancashire cup and (Rob Japan please note) defeated Northwich Victoria in the Cheshire cup 2 - 0.

Next question in relation to EFC, who was 'King John of Everton', I want as much info as you can give me on that character. In addition we had discarded the black shirts by this time, what colours did we play in next. The answers will be posted on Monday unless some one can come up with the goods.

Incidentally Chico is offering a family holiday for those who get the most question right.......................honest

Last edited:
Haha, I know this one from memory!!! John Houlding, the guy who tried to fleece us for money based on our success by raising rent at Anfield from 100pounds to 200-250 pounds. He is the reason we are now where we are.

Also the founder of the [Poor language removed], who started life as The Everton Football Club and Athletic Ground Company or something to the effect, only to be told by the FA to stuff it and rename themselves (obviously before the [Poor language removed] got in bed with them)

Haha, I know this one from memory!!! John Houlding, the guy who tried to fleece us for money based on our success by raising rent at Anfield from 100pounds to 200-250 pounds. He is the reason we are now where we are.

Also the founder of the [Poor language removed], who started life as The Everton Football Club and Athletic Ground Company or something to the effect, only to be told by the FA to stuff it and rename themselves (obviously before the [Poor language removed] got in bed with them)

The irony of it, King John of Everton and the [Poor language removed]. What about the rest and I'll now give an additional question, what was the name of his pub.

Dunno that, but 50 vCash to the person who can tell me the year St.Domingo's closed its doors for the final time.

Dunno that, but 50 vCash to the person who can tell me the year St.Domingo's closed its doors for the final time.

I'll l;eave that for the others Dylan, I think Saint will answer off the top of his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back