Everton history thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what colours did we play in next.
a blackburn style shirt but with pink and white instead?
everton_1881-1882-g.gif

however i have read from another source, that it was just salmon pink shirts and blue shorts

Last edited:
The irony of it, King John of Everton and the [Poor language removed]. What about the rest
for a short period of time houlding registered his team as "Everton Football Club" so there were officially two evertons. but he soon grew out of that one. and his pub was the Sandon hotel.

heres what wikipedia has to say:
"In 1882, a ruling forced Everton to play their games at an enclosed ground, having previously played them on the public Stanley Park. A meeting held in the Sandon Hotel in Everton, owned by Houlding, led to Everton F.C. renting a field off Priory Road. When the owner of this field eventually asked them to leave, Houlding secured a new pitch at Anfield Road, paying a small rent to John Orrell, a fellow brewer. The first football match at Anfield was on September 28th, 1884, when Everton beat Earlstown 5-0.
Everton thrived at Anfield; stands were erected, attendance figures reached 8,000 per game, and Everton became a founding member of the Football League in 1888. However, Houlding was beginning to annoy the club; he increased the rate of interest on his loan to the club, and the players were forced to use The Sandon for changing, both before and after games.
In 1891, John Orrell threatened to withdraw the tenancy of Anfield Road. Houlding responded by suggesting that he form a limited liability company and purchase the ground. Orrell was willing to sell, but Houlding owned land adjacent to Anfield Road, and expect the new limited liability company to purchase this land as well.
Many of the club's members accused Houlding of trying to make a profit at the club's expense. The club's 279 members met in January 1892 to discuss the matter. Following another meeting on March 15th, 1892, Houlding was outvoted and his opponents decided to leave Anfield and purchase a new ground. They purchased Goodison Park, on the north side of Stanley Park, for £8,000."

Last edited:
Sandon Hotel is correct, and my records support the salmon pink and blue shorts outfit. That being said Dylans question remains unanswered and he is offering 50 VCash for the right answer

Who can tell me the year St.Domingo's closed its doors for the final time?

We joined the original football league form the off

1 Name all of the original teams in that league?

2 Name two very famous teams who had their applications turned down?

3 Which team did Everton have its derby matches against?

Founding members:

Accrington Stanley (Who are they??? Exactly!)
Aston Villa
Blackburn Rovers
Notlob Wanderers
Burnley
Derby County
Notts County
Preston North End
Stoke City
West Bromeich Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Missing:
Crewe Alexander
Derby Junction
and

Bootle.

You have got the easy part right but you have yet to name the two teams refused membership at that first meeting.

Bootle FC did provide us with a derby as did Earlstown (Newton le Willows) and possible New Brighton

You have got the easy part right but you have yet to name the two teams refused membership at that first meeting.

Bootle FC did provide us with a derby as did Earlstown (Newton le Willows) and possible New Brighton

Gotta be a Londan club id go for woolwitch arsenal or spurs, maybe fulham.

Perhaps one of the manchester clubs newton heath i think united were called.

As brother Monty said, a weeks holiday is up for this one.

Benidorm, one star plus, allocation on arrival, self catering. Flights through flip flop airlines. Take some immodium if you plan to eat.

No the two teams I was after were, Nottingham Forest, County got accepted they got thrown out and a team then called simply Wednesday, from Sheffield, they became Sheffield Wednesday in 1929. If I remember correctly Woolwich Arsenal retained their amatuer staus, as did many southern teams, and initially wouldn't join a professional league.

Who were our first ever FA cup opponents

What was the year and result

Last edited:

Founding members:

Accrington Stanley (Who are they??? Exactly!)
Aston Villa
Blackburn Rovers
Notlob Wanderers
Burnley
Derby County
Notts County
Preston North End
Stoke City
West Bromeich Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Its not Accrington Stanley mate (y)

The Accrington who are part of the founding members are another side.

Its not Accrington Stanley mate (y)

The Accrington who are part of the founding members are another side.

Danny, there were 12 teams, the missing one from that list is a club called Everton. I'm not sure how or why Accrington became Stanley but they are generally acknowledged as founder members of the FL. Accrington have a terrible track record for teams going broke, the initial team folded in 1900-01, it was known as Accrington although the assets and personel came back immeadiately as Accrington Stanley, just try telling someone from Accrington that they were not founder members of the football league, its like asking someone from Hartlepool 'who hung the monkey'

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back