Everton in the city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travelled over to the Wolves match with the Mrs in tow for once, i went the match, she went shopping.

She's no interest in football but one thing stuck with me when i got back to town after the match, she says why is there hardly any mention of Everton in the city centre, of course there's the club shop in Liverpool one and a couple of shops and stalls have dedicated small corners but most nearly seem like an afterthought.

Liverpool FC merchandise seems to be everywhere and I'd say a lot of the overseas tourist's walking about don't even know there's two clubs in the city.

Does the club need to do more to promote the 'brand' in the city or with Liverpool being the size of club it is, would it be banging its head against a closed shop? Have Liverpool fc the city sewn up to casual visitors (tours etc)?
Results need to improve of course to get people to take an interest but a marketing campaign promoting the club to visitors (match day, tours, merch etc) surely isn't a big ask.

Or are we happy to let Liverpool fc have the casual tourists?

Need to think bigger imo.

They do need to do more but the majority of the merchandising is done by stalls that probably have no affiliation to the club. They offer what sells and the volume of day trippers in the city is overwhelmingly Liverpool fan biased. Maybe you should all be coming over more often, ask not what my club can do for me but what I can do for my club. That is a joke mate, I know it’s a pricy trip. Even for locals it’s not a cheap day out

Absolutely the club needs to do more, has done for as long as I can remember. Them lot have always been marketed in the right way, every tourist had a shirt, scarf, bag whatever!!

It doesn't end there either, fly our to any European destination and you will find there shirt being sold at the other end along with every major club in the world, good luck finding ours!

Most alarming thing is the club either doesn't see it or doesnt know how to fix it. Another thing to thank chairman Bill for!!
We haven't had a market aware person in charge since the days of John Moores.
Unfortunately marketing was not such a big thing in football in those days.

It's very sad how inept our club's custodians are. We have won the league more times than Chelsea and Spurs combined and yet most people from outside of Liverpool even know that we are a north west club.

I was at Spurs last season and one of their season ticket holders asked me how long the journey from Stoke had been - I'm from Kirkdale!! He thought Everton FC were based near Telford.
So sad, so true.
I came across someone last year who thought Everton was "one of those mill towns near Manchester"

We haven't had a market aware person in charge since the days of John Moores.
Unfortunately marketing was not such a big thing in football in those days.
Which in itself is a major problem. Marketing and branding is the basics of every major business in the world, it's a crime in itself that the club doesn't see that.

Taking off the blue glasses

Imagine you're a tourist - are you more interested in the team whov'e recently won a CL, League, FA Cup and nearly always play in the CL

or the team in the smaller stadium who's high point of the 21st century was losing a Europa league game to Fiorentina

Doesn't help that those who run liverpool are very good at mythologising every aspect of the club
Not just about being successful though - and loads to do with snapping up market share and branding. Man utd could be poor for the next 2 decades but their revenue will still massively outstrip ours forever. They took advantage of the time ls when they were succesful.
Liverpool were succesful the same time as us in the 80s, but why did their revenue and fan base go up massively and ours declined. I mean they havent exacly been dripping in success since 1989 but they have always smashed us for revenues.
We have Clueless folk in charge, even if we suddenly started winning the league and cups our clowns could not take advantage and turn us into a revenue machine.

Unfortunately, that's probably what Philip Carter was saying in about 1985, and is why we plummeted into irrelevance in 4 years.

….you still see the influence of those years with supporters of a certain age and from other parts of the country (Eddie Howe etc). I think there are reasons that success wasn’t sustained.

Not just about being successful though - and loads to do with snapping up market share and branding. Man utd could be poor for the next 2 decades but their revenue will still massively outstrip ours forever. They took advantage of the time ls when they were succesful.
Liverpool were succesful the same time as us in the 80s, but why did their revenue and fan base go up massively and ours declined. I mean they havent exacly been dripping in success since 1989 but they have always smashed us for revenues.
We have Clueless folk in charge, even if we suddenly started winning the league and cups our clowns could not take advantage and turn us into a revenue machine.
Speaking as an out of towner I think Liverpool had a huge glory hunting support from the 70s and 80s, that then grew into the 90s as football became more popular

We had glory hunters from the 80s, like me, but not at the same level as the RS... however we simply didn't adapt to the premiership era, how the support has held up since 30 years of mis management is amazing tbh

We should make so much more of a deal of being the original club on Merseyside and have it referenced on the kit in some way. 1878 is all well and good, but to the uninitiated, it's just a random year.

Also we should reclaim the Liver bird.

The RS don't kick off until 2-00pm on Sunday, but their tourist customers will be clogging up the city centre from tomorrow.

Hoards of well heeled Scandinavians, Asians, and others, spending a fortune on hotels, food and drink, souvenirs, and many will be in the city for up to 72 hours.

Business owners in town are aware of this, and this is why you will see so much RS cack plastered up everywhere.

EFC home games are just 'business as usual'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back