Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton January 2025 Transfer Thread

You probably are correct to say when Branthwaite leaves, rather than if, but does it necessarily have to be that way?

We were able to reject bids this summer despite us being in desperate need for cash and our owner already having one foot out of the door. This suggests to me that Branthwaite’s departure from Everton isn’t quite as guaranteed as people make out.

I understand that it is unlikely, but I’d much prefer it if we actually brought in another ultra boss centre half to accompany Branthwaite rather than bringing in some inevitable downgrade as a replacement.

But if we are genuinely in for the likes of Mourinho, we would need to add to Branthwaite in our defence and not replace him.

Just to add to my idealist post last night. The 24 year old England international centre half Marc Guehi will be entering his last year of his contract this summer, and Crystal Palace are likely to sell him.

Rather than let him go to Newcastle, I think we should be in for him so that he becomes Branthwaite’s partner. Get Dumfries in on a free at right back, sell Mykolenko and then UPGRADE at left back.

New stadium, new owner, new manager, and new attitude! If we sell Branthwaite just to facilitate the purchase of a downgrade there will be no change, and we can expect a repeat of the last 30 years.

Just to add to my idealist post last night. The 24 year old England international centre half Marc Guehi will be entering his last year of his contract this summer, and Crystal Palace are likely to sell him.

Rather than let him go to Newcastle, I think we should be in for him so that he becomes Branthwaite’s partner. Get Dumfries in on a free at right back, sell Mykolenko and then UPGRADE at left back.

New stadium, new owner, new manager, and new attitude! If we sell Branthwaite just to facilitate the purchase of a downgrade there will be no change, and we can expect a repeat of the last 30 years.

I agree with this in principle.

Guehi would be too expensive I think and Dumfries a better RM or RWB imo.

The good thing is that there are plenty of top young centre backs around at the moment who would be cheaper than Guehi and likely better.

The good thing is that there are plenty of top young centre backs around at the moment who would be cheaper than Guehi and likely better.

Aye, we need to be making Tarkowski our third choice centre back with him turning 32 next month. We can’t be selling Branthwaite to facilitate a downgrade that would see Tarkowski become our first choice centre back just as he approaches his decline.

Wouldn't go anywhere below Guehi's age to be honest.

Hien from Atalanta would be my choice

Guehi will go to a top four side. He is a genuinely good player.

Buying a downgrade wouldn't be the only option upon selling him, though, would it? We bought him for absolute buttons and if we chose to let him go (assuming he stays reasonably injury-free and in form) we'd probably be looking at a £60m-£70m fee. That should be the business model for a club with our immediate ambitions.

We're a relegation struggler with our eyes on mid-table. Of course we want to improve on that, but even teams at the top end of our current spectrum don't have the luxury of keeping/building around their best players. Sell while his stock is through the roof and bring in multiple options for lower fees.

If the lad genuinely wants to stay, then it goes without saying we keep him. If I was a gambling man, though, I'd say he won't see the inside of BMD as a home player.

Buying a downgrade wouldn't be the only option upon selling him, though, would it? We bought him for absolute buttons and if we chose to let him go (assuming he stays reasonably injury-free and in form) we'd probably be looking at a £60m-£70m fee. That should be the business model for a club with our immediate ambitions.

We're a relegation struggler with our eyes on mid-table. Of course we want to improve on that, but even teams at the top end of our current spectrum don't have the luxury of keeping/building around their best players. Sell while his stock is through the roof and bring in multiple options for lower fees.

If the lad genuinely wants to stay, then it goes without saying we keep him. If I was a gambling man, though, I'd say he won't see the inside of BMD as a home player.
If TFG put some sort of proper plan together then I can see him staying tbh, I don't see anyone paying £60-£70m for him at the moment.

Aye, we need to be making Tarkowski our third choice centre back with him turning 32 next month. We can’t be selling Branthwaite to facilitate a downgrade that would see Tarkowski become our first choice centre back just as he approaches his decline.

Branthwaite would be 1st choice
New centre back partner
Tarkowski & O'Brien as the options

Although, I wonder if we'll take a hit on O'Brien in January

Wouldn't go anywhere below Guehi's age to be honest.

Hien from Atalanta would be my choice

It's not really an age thing though...it would be who is the best player we can attain to partner Branthwaite for the next 5 seasons.

That partnership would be the foundation of the team and might encourage Branthwaite to stay.

Having two Branthwaite quality centre backs propels this team far higher up the table.

Depends on whether TFG are looking for gradual growth or to quickly establish the club back in the european places.

The rumours of new contract talks and looking at the funds spent at Roma would perhaps suggest the latter.

Branthwaite would be 1st choice
New centre back partner
Tarkowski & O'Brien as the options

Although, I wonder if we'll take a hit on O'Brien in January

It's not really an age thing though...it would be who is the best player we can attain to partner Branthwaite for the next 5 seasons.

That partnership would be the foundation of the team and might encourage Branthwaite to stay.

Having two Branthwaite quality centre backs propels this team far higher up the table.

Depends on whether TFG are looking for gradual growth or to quickly establish the club back in the european places.

The rumours of new contract talks and looking at the funds spent at Roma would perhaps suggest the latter.
Dont think we would take a hit on obrien but could see dcl\beto move on imo. Will be interesting to see what happena in this window i cant see that much becuase of the manager /dof. Do think if we bring in another cb would be one who has the ability to cover out at fb aswell. One with more natural pace, also what plans they have for the lad tamen the young cb we signed. Same with armstrong aswell to see development plans to step up into the first team

I get your reasoning, and I accept that there is no point in keeping a player that would effectively be willing to force a move. We had no real chance in keeping Lukaku, for example. But look at the state of Lukaku's replacements; it will be exactly the same if we sell Branthwaite.

I also agree with your description of Everton currently being a bottom half relegation endangered club, but I feel/hope that we are about to commence a real re-set. A real one, not some drama production about an adopted twin that dreams of a re-set but is unable to do so because of his socioeconomic circumstances.

We are about to enter a new stadium. A top class new stadium, to be fair. A stadium that will want to attract 'blue chip' corporate clientele. If ever there was an opportunity to move away from the Wigan-isation of Everton, it is NOW. Personally, I think a great way of doing that would be to reject any bids for Branthwaite and go and buy Guehi to really strengthen our defence. Let Newcastle and Villa know that we are their competitors and not their subordinates.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back