Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil Jagielka warns Everton squad could be severely depleted by summer exits via The Guardian

• Defender anticipates double-figure departures from Goodison
• Jagielka: Roberto Martínez’s successor could face major rebuilding work
Phil Jagielka has warned Everton face upheaval beyond the manager’s position this summer, with Roberto Martínez’s successor having to deal with an exodus of established players.

Related: Everton’s plans to move from Goodison Park to Walton Hall Park abandoned

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton captain Phil Jagielka ready for a summer of upheaval at Goodison Park after Roberto Martinez sacked as manager via Daily Mail

Phil Jagielka has predicted a summer of sweeping change at Goodison Park will significantly alter the face of Everton’s squad, as the club searches for a new manager following Roberto Martinez's exit.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Unsworth – It was a dream script via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-531589756.0.jpg

Stand-in manager's quotes after Everton's win over Norwich City

Interim Everton manager and Under-21 side boss David Unsworth was very pleased with the performance he got on the pitch yesterday. Unsworth was named stand-in gaffer alongside Club legend Joe Royle after Roberto Martinez was sacked late last week.

Goals from James McCarthy, Leighton Baines and Kevin Mirallas, as well as a clean sheet in defence, marked an emotional but appropriate send off for goalkeeper Tim Howard who is moving to the MLS with Colorado Rapids in the offseason.

"I'm very, very proud. I was delighted the team could put that performance in and get the win. I was even more delighted that we got the clean sheet for Tim Howard.

"If there was a script and I could have written it last night, it would have been exactly what happened today. From the first minute to the last, I thought we were fantastic.

"It was a fitting ovation for Tim on the pitch at the end and the players have just done the same in the dressing room as well, which was a lovely touch.

"He's been a great servant and we all wish him well in his future."

He talked about the effort he saw on the pitch today –

"It was the perfect afternoon, all credit goes to the players, they were fantastic.

"They took on board what we've done in two days – a real plus point from them that they have done that, I thought we were brilliant from start to finish. We got the goals, a clean sheet, and worked at a tempo that was outstanding for 90 minutes.

"There are some tired bodies in there and quite rightly so, that's how you should feel and I'm just delighted for the boys and delighted for the club that we can put a smile on the faces of everybody connected with Everton on their way home tonight because it has been a difficult week."

Former Everton player Unsworth, who won the FA Cup in 1995 under Joe Royle, has been in charge of the U-21s for the last two years, and included seven Academy players in the matchday squad. Tom Davies and Kieran Dowell made their first senior starts, while Jonjoe Kenny came on for the injured Matthew Pennington to make his first senior team appearance.

"I thought the young lads were terrific. Matty Pennington started really well but unfortunately had to go off with a hamstring injury. There was no problem bringing Jonjoe Kenny on though because he's been Under-21s captain all last season – and I thought he was outstanding as well.

"Kieran Dowell showed flashes of genius and the quality that he's shown with the Under-21s all season, while Tom Davies' performance was probably worthy of Man of the Match.

"I thought Tom was everything we want from an Everton centre midfielder: all action, good on the ball, spots danger – it was a great performance."

Unsy, as he is known fondly by the fans, ended by saying that he hoped whoever Everton appoint as the full time manager over the offseason continues to utilize the talent coming through from the youth ranks.

"I've been saying for a couple of years that there's not just a couple of players in each age group; we've got an abundance of quality. We probably have seven or eight players who, in my opinion, are either ready now or will be ready in 12 months' time.

"That will be the skill of the manager: can he blend top, established players with a new generation of unbelievable talent? Tom and Kieran and Jonjoe and Matty – their pedigree is of the highest level. They've played for England all the way through the age groups. All they needed is the opportunity and they've got that today and they've certainly taken it.

"If you watched that performance, you know that Kieran, Tom, Matty and Jonjoe are here to stay, and you build a team around that."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton captain Phil Jagielka ready for a summer of upheaval at Goodison Park after Roberto Martinez is sacked as manager via Daily Mail

Phil Jagielka has predicted a summer of sweeping change at Goodison Park will significantly alter the face of Everton’s squad, as the club searches for a new manager following Roberto Martinez's exit.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Mixed news for Evertonians as Roy Hodgson names his England Euro 2016 squad via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-518040764.0.jpg

Two make it, but two miss out on a summer trip to France

John Stones and Ross Barkley have been included in Roy Hodgson's provisional squad for Euro 2016 – but Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines miss out.

At 33 and 31 respectively you have to wonder whether this spells the end of Jagielka and Baines' international careers. Baines has suffered an injury-hit campaign and now faces competition for a Three Lions spot thanks to the emergence of Danny Rose, Ryan Bertrand and Nathaniel Clyne.

Jagielka has also struggled with injury this season but can still consider himself a little unlucky to miss out. Hodgson has only selected three centre backs but midfielder Eric Dier's ability to play at the back has probably cost Jagielka his spot.

Speaking about Jags and Baines, Hodgson said:

“Leighton Baines hasn’t played for the last year.

“They’re players I respect and admire, but you have to make a decision. I’ve decided we’d rob Peter to pay Paul, in the sense of taking only seven defenders, and unfortunately that’s gone over Phil (Jagielka).

“It was a tough conversation but I’m glad to have spoken to him.”

There is better news for Stones and Barkley who do make it into Hodgson's initial 26-man party, to be cut to 23 players ahead of next month's tournament.

Elsewhere there was a surprise recall for Jack Wilshere, who has made just three appearances this season due to injury. Man Utd youngster Marcus Rashford has also been called-up for the first time..

England face two friendlies against Turkey and Australia before Hodgson names his final 23-man squad on May 31. The Three Lions then play Portugal at Wembley in a final friendly before their opening group game against Russia on June 11.

Elsewhere Brendan Galloway has withdrawn from the England U21 squad for the Toulon tournament due to injury.

Galloway had been due to face Portugal, Guinea, Paraguay and Japan later this month but has been forced to pull out and replaced by Bolton defender Rob Holding.

Provisional England squad for Euro 2016:

Goalkeepers: Forster, Hart, Heaton

Defenders: Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Rose, Smalling, Stones, Walker

Midfielders: Alli, Barkley, Dier, Drinkwater, Delph, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Townsend, Wilshere

Strikers: Kane, Rashford, Rooney, Sturridge, Vardy
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton’s new stadium plans collapse for a third time via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-455657380.0.jpg

The Toffees are once again on the lookout for a new home…

Everton's hopes of building a new stadium on Walton Hall Park have been dashed, with the club and local council confirming they will now be looking for alternative venues.

Everton announced their intention to build a new ground on the park, which is about a mile from Goodison Park, nearly two years ago.

However, progress on the project has been painfully slow while there has also been intense opposition from local community groups who feel the site should remain as a park.

It is an open secret that Everton have struggled to come up with the required funding for the project, which was also to involvedmajor retail investment and new housing.

Last winter Everton CEO Robert Elstone accused the local council of not doing enough to support the club over the project. That drew a stinging response from Liverpool Major Joe Anderson who insisted the authorities were doing all they could to support Everton but would not supply the majority of the cash.

The Liverpool Echo now reports that Everton are considering two more brownfield sites within the city as an alternative, though where those sites are we do not know.

A joint statement from Everton and Liverpool Council said:

"Liverpool City Council and Everton Football Club can confirm they have been working together over recent months to investigate alternative plans for a new stadium for Everton Football Club.

"These new plans no longer focus on Walton Hall Park but on two other potential sites brownfield sites within the city boundary.

"The proposed scheme at Walton Hall Park was always an ambitious one. It was a regeneration scheme that relied heavily on retail investment into the site.

"Most of the current investment into retail is focused on city centres and larger district centres and not on out-of-town developments like this would have been."

Mayor Joe Anderson said:

"Most people will be aware that I did give a commitment to Everton to support a potential scheme at Walton Hall Park with the aim of regenerating the area and creating new jobs.

"However, through the work that the club and the council have done, we have concluded that effectively building a new village in North Liverpool with lots of retail space is a step too far in this current economic climate.

"On the subject of the park itself, I can now say that the park will remain a park and will be designated as such in our Local Plan which will be out for consultation this summer."

Most Evertonians will react to this news with grim resignation. This is now the third new stadium project that has collapsed following Kings Dock in 2003 and Destination Kirkby in 2009.

Millions of pounds have no doubt already been wasted and serious questions have to be asked of the board about how they have approached the club's quest for a new ground.

It has been apparent for some time that Everton simply did not have the funds required to get the project off the ground and they were never going to get that cash off a council already dealing with cuts to its budget by the Government.

The one reason for optimism is that with Farhad Moshiri now in control the next proposed ground move should be a lot more viable. Redevelopment of Goodison Park may also now be an option.

Everton CEO Robert Elstone said:

"Our work with the council, particularly over the last few months, has been positive and progressive and whilst our work evaluating the alternatives is at an early stage, we are hopeful that the new sites provide us with a much more straightforward, deliverable opportunity to build a new stadium."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Phil Jagielka anticipating major Everton squad overhaul via NSNO

Everton's Phil Jagielka has warned that the first-team squad at Goodison Park could be in for a major overhaul throughout the upcoming summer transfer window.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton outbid Barcelona for John Stones replacement via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-476660800.0.jpg

Toffees eye La Liga defender – but face competition

Reports in the Spanish media claim that Everton have made a 7million Euros bid for Las Palmas defender Mauricio Lemos.

The 20-year-old Uruguayan has impressed in La Liga this season, prompting Las Palmas to turn his loan from Rubin Kazan into a permanent deal.

However, such is the young defender's performances this campaign Las Palmas face a battle to keep hold of him beyond this summer.

Sport.es claims a number of English clubs are interested in in the Uruguay U23 international but Everton are the only side to make a bid so far. That offer is likely to be rejected but the report claims a bid in the region of 9million Euros may be enough to seal the deal.

Everton reportedly see Lemos as a replacement for John Stones, who has also been linked with a move away from Goodison Park this summer.

A separate report in the Mirror claims Barcelona have had a bid already rejected by Las Palmas for Lemos. It says Barca see the 20-year-old as a potential replacement for Marc Bartra, who is expected to leave the Nou Camp this summer.

Everton would obviously lose out in any head-to-head battle with Barcelona for Lemos' signature, even I admit the lure of the Catalan club may just shade the Toffees.

However, the promise of regular first-team football and the money on offer in the Premier League may be a decisive factor.

A lot may also depend on who is appointed as successor to Roberto Martinez and his rebuilding plans this summer.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

New Everton stadium may hold key in 2026 Commonwealth Games bid, says Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson via Daily Mail

Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson feels a new Everton stadium could be key in the city landing the 2026 Commonwealth Games. The focus is on potential brownfield sites within the city boundary.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Jagielka – Mass exodus waiting to happen at Everton via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-455582342.0.jpg

Depending on who the next manager is, we could see a new Blues side next year

This could be a summer filled with uncertainty the longer Everton takes to name the new manager. Club captain Phil Jagielka warns that up to double digits of players could leave Finch Farm over the offseason, resulting in a brand new team come next season.

"There is going to be a lot of change in the playing squad. I am not sure the squad is going to be big enough for the start of next season with the people who are leaving. There could be double figures leaving which is a lot.

"We are not talking about young lads as well. We are talking about established first-team players.

"We have got a few players who are coming out of contract, players who have had rumours throughout the season about moves and things, so not only is the staff going to change the squad is going to change massively as well.

"It is going to be a big change of personnel and that will play a big part in who will get the chance to manage the club.

"It is a case of them [Everton's hierarchy] deciding what sort of squad and formula they want to go for both on the pitch and off the pitch. That will determine what manager they want.

"I am sure coming back for pre-season there will be a lot of things different, but the main thing is Everton Football Club moves forward and keeps progressing. I am sure that will be the case."

He continued –

"It is easy to say it has been a season of underachievement but we have had two great cup runs.

"Our league form hasn't been as good as it is should have been, but things haven't been as bad as people have made out. Football is a results business and unfortunately for us in the league it is not what we have wanted.

"I am not really prepared to answer the question of what went wrong. Obviously the results were the results.

"In the end that is what cost the manager the job. It is as simple as that. There were things put on TV, the last 10 results, and unfortunately that was the state of play.

"Things materialised because of the results and it was very hard for the manager to stay in charge. The people who make the decisions decided that was the case."

Quick speculation shows around ten players who could be moving on. Senior players Leon Osman, Tony Hibbert, Steven Pienaar and Darron Gibson all out of contract, while Tim Howard has left for the MLS.

Stars John Stones and Romelu Lukaku have also been linked with big money transfers. Winter signing Oumar Niasse has had a rocky start while Mo Besic might also be leaving. Aiden McGeady finished the season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, and his future is uncertain.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Calls for Moyes to return show lack of ambition via NSNO

Over the last few weeks there have been an increasing number of calls from Everton fans to bring back David Moyes as manager of Everton Football Club, but those who are calling for the Scot to return are exhibiting the kind of lack of ambition that the Everton board are usually accused of.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back