Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony Bellew relishing Liverpool homecoming in WBC Cruiserweight title fight against Ilunga Makabu: ‘I’m a mad Evertonian and on a Bank Holiday weekend, there’s no better time for this to happen.’ via Daily Mail

Tony Bellew has hailed Liverpool's party atmosphere ahead of his WBC Cruiserweight title fight against Ilunga Makabu and the local lad has vowed to put on a winning performance.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton Season Was Slop with Few Bright Spots via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-531575234.0.jpg

Trying to get my head around Everton's 2015-2016 season, it is hard to separate the passion that ended the year with a realistic eye at what Everton accomplished. Despite what some may say, there were a few accomplishments, certainly some ugliness, but we shouldn't forget the good just because the league went poorly.

Many may forget, but heading into the Christmas period Everton was actually in a pretty good position. The club was sitting in 9th through 16 matches. But back then a win made a huge difference, 3 points could easily jump Everton into a Europa League place. Everton was poised to take advantage of a schedule that saw them play Leicester City, Newcastle, and Stoke City. Sadly the club only earned 3 points from those 3 fixtures. It was the beginning of the end for Roberto Martinez, though it would take another 5 months to play out.

As for the good, well Everton did make the semi-finals of two cup competitions. But even then there is a sense of what the club could have done instead of what they did. The League Cup was frankly shambolic. A combination of poor reffing and poor defense saw Everton spirit away a first leg lead to Manchester City.

The FA Cup was better, but not by much. Everton's disheartening loss to Manchester United at Wembley sealed Roberto Martinez's fate, but even in this defeat there was a sense the club should have done more on the day. Both goals were unfortunate and Everton still seemed the better side.

But outside of those semifinal appearances, the second half of the season wasn't pretty. For every moment of happiness the club brought, there were 3-4 moments of agony. An excellent offense could not save Everton this year, the defense was too bad. If the table was sorted by goals scored, Everton would be in a tie for 7th and at worst 9th. But based on goals allowed Everton would be 14th or 15th, we finished 11th.

And ultimately that may be the biggest takeaway from the season. Everton can possess the ball as much as they want. The club can make cute passes out of the back, move the ball forward, and then unleash Romelu Lukaku to score brilliant goals. But if the team can not defend properly it does not matter. Roberto Martinez could not figure out the defense. His first season players still reverted to some of David Moyes' teachings. Those principles allowed Everton to finish 5th. But the past two years saw too much of a focus on possession and playing nice soccer. Results should have been the priority instead, sometimes hoofing it up top is the best way to score and win. Look at Leicester City, they didn't exactly light the world on fire with Barcelona-style soccer. But they did win the league.

Overall though it is hard to see this season as anything but a regression. There is no European competition and not trophy. Several years ago the question at Everton was always about how to challenge for the Champions League and now it is about how to get back to Europe at all. That general feeling shows that there wasn't much of a success this year. The good news is we get a new manager to try and right the ship and return Everton to glory, plus he gets some money to do it.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Romelu Lukaku expects to seal transfer away from Everton before Euro 2016 start via Daily Mail

Romelu Lukaku expects to finalise a move away from Everton before the start of Euro 2016 next month. The Everton striker's father Roger, himself a former player, confirmed that Everton want £65million.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Lukaku could leave Everton before Euro 2016 for £65m via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-466408616.0.jpg

His father has been talking to the media again

Between his father and his agent, Romelu Lukaku doesn't need to talk to the press about leaving Everton, as the two perform admirably as his public mouthpiece.

Lukaku recently skirted controversy when he spoke to the media at the last international break, talking about leaving the Blues to play Champions League football (click here for story stream). Fans were even more irate when then-manager Roberto Martinez refused to rebuke the forward, and instead chose to vent on revered veteran Leighton Baines for telling the papers that Everton had no chemistry.

After the way this last season ended for the Toffees, it is no secret that Lukaku could be on his way out. The five teams that have been identified as likely destinations for the player are his former club Chelsea, Manchester United, Champions League finalists Atlético Madrid, and European giants Bayern Munich and Juventus. In recent days, Paris St. Germain has also come up as a possible club with the news that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will be leaving France at the end of his current contract this summer.

His father Roger Lukaku spoke to Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad, and said –

"I hope and believe that Mino [Raiola] is fair and that he is acting in the best interest of the player.

"Now, with Romelu it will be quickly arranged. Whether the transfer has been sorted? Almost. I think it will be in place before the European Championship. Everton are asking around £65m for Rom.

"He won't go to Italy, because they keep it closed at the back, too difficult for an attacker. What is certain — to continue to make progress, he needs to change clubs, but we are mainly engaged in making the right choice.

"Romelu will decide his future, but agents have the last word most of the time. I hope and I think Mino Raiola is an honest man."

Both Lukaku senior and his agent Raiola have made a lot of noise about the striker before, so it remains to be seen how far this conversation goes. However, if Everton are indeed asking for £65m then the incoming manager at Goodison Park could be looking at quite the shopping spree if rumors that new owner Farhad Moshiri is promising a £100m transfer warchest.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Romelu Lukaku’s father predicts striker will leave Everton this summer via The Guardian

• Roger Lukaku says Premier League club want £65m to sell star striker
• Bayern Munich or Manchester United said to be his preferred destination

Romelu’s Lukaku’s father believes the Everton striker will have left the club before the start of the European Championships, with Bayern Munich or Manchester United his preferred destination.

The 23-year-old scored 25 goals for Everton last season, although he struggled for form and fitness in 2016 and only found the net three times in the Premier League.

Related: Phil Jagielka warns Everton squad could be severely depleted by summer exits

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Rumour: Everton offer manager’s job to Favre? via NSNO

Everton have allegedly held talks with former Borussia Monchengladbach head coach Lucian Favre over becoming their new manager.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Romelu Lukaku expects transfer before Euro 2016… Manchester United and Chelsea interested via Daily Mail

Romelu Lukaku expects to finalise a move away from Everton before the start of Euro 2016 next month. The Everton striker's father Roger, himself a former player, confirmed that Everton want £65million.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Howard: Next Everton manager ‘sitting on a goldmine’ via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-531581766.0.jpg

Goalie's last comments before leaving the Blues

Former Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard spoke about the bright future ahead for the Toffees youngsters before he left for the Colorado Rapids in the USA.

Howard had a sentimental farewell in the Blues' last home game of the season against Norwich City (here, here, and here, and all put together here) finishing his Everton career with another clean sheet.

The American spoke about the future of Everton on a day when there were youngsters all over the pitch in Blue –

"The guy who comes in and manages this team is sitting on a goldmine.

"The future is bright. Those boys played well. I didn't have that kind of wherewithal or talent at their age so I was excited to see them play.

"With the passion in this city for this club and the talent that's on display, the sky's the limit for this team."

On marking his Goodison Park farewell with yet another clean sheet –

"I'll always remember that one, it was special.

"It's been a tough week, it was tough seeing Roberto go. Any time a manager gets sacked, you have to look inward. We have to take a ton of responsibility on our shoulders.

"We came out, we responded. I thought we played well. There was an intent in our play and, in a difficult season for us, you could see in the fans' faces and hear it in their voices, they were excited about this team."

Howard was also asked to describe how he felt in his final game in front of the Blues faithful –

"My words would fail me because what I feel in my heart for all Evertonians is hard to describe. I'll miss their cheers, I'll miss their faces.

"All good things come to an end. I know that. I think I was always dreading the day I had to leave this place because I keep saying it's my home."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Rumour: Everton to offer Director of Football role to Joe Royle via NSNO

The Daily Star has reported that Everton will look to offer their Director of Football role to Blues legend Joe Royle.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back