Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton announce 2015-16 season awards winners via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-506563860.0.jpg

The gala is postponed, but the award winners were named yesterday

Everton were forced to postpone their awards ceremony last week after the news broke of then-manager Roberto Martinez being fired. While the gala will still be held at an as yet unannounced date, the Toffees announced the winners of the various prizes on their website yesterday.

Midfield rock Gareth Barry lifted both the Everton's Player of the Season and the Player's Player of the Season awards. The Englishman narrowly pipped out forward Romelu Lukaku in an online fans' vote, and was the clear winner in the players' vote.

Barry featured in 39 games this season across all competitions, always in the defensive pivot role. He had no goals, but chipped in with four assists. Without Barry in the side the Toffees often looked lost and his steadying influence was a big component in the possession-based football that Martinez wanted to see.

Here is what Barry, third on the list of players with the most Premier League appearances with 594, had to say about his awards –

"It's fantastic. It was great for me to be nominated and win these awards. If you look at the talent in our dressing room, for me to be chosen as the Player of the Season, it means a lot to me.

"Both awards mean so much and when you are getting voted by the players you are training with each day and then playing with, any professional will tell you that it means a lot."

Belgian striker Lukaku did not go home empty-handed however, netting the Young Player of the Season as well as the fan-voted Goal of the Season awards. While his future at the Blues remains uncertain, fans will definitely relish his goal against Chelsea in the FA Cup Quarter Finals when he blew past half his former side to coolly slot home.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard also bid Everton farewell with an award – the Chairman's Blueblood trophy. Everton chairman Bill Kenwright had instituted the award in 2009 to recognise overall contribution to the Club, and Howard won it for the second time, marking the occasion on his last game for the Toffees with an emotional farewell.

In other awards, youngster Joe Williams was named the Under-21s Player of the Season for stand-in manager David Unsworth's side. The Everton Giant and the Howard Kendall award winners will be announced later this year, presumably when the gala is held.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Tim Howard predicts bright future for Everton after emotional farewell appearance in victory over Norwich at Goodison Park via Daily Mail

Tim Howard believes 'the sky's the limit' for the Everton team he has left behind. The American headed home on Monday after a decade at Goodison Park prior to joining Colorado Rapids.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton approach to Jose Mourinho denied via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-520027308.0.jpg

Looks like the special one isn't heading to Merseyside after all

Everton's reported approach to former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been denied, according to Sky Sports.

A newspaper report over the weekend claimed that Everton had sounded out Mourinho over the possibility of taking over at Goodison Park, attempting to take advantage of Manchester United's hesitation.

It's widely believed that Mourinho wants the manager's job at Old Trafford but the Red Devils have yet to make a decision – publicly at least – on the future of Louis van Gaal.

That led to the reports Everton had made a move, something that has been denied according to 'Sky sources'.

Mourinho has been out of work since being sacked by Chelsea in December but was quoted last week saying he is confident of being back in a job in England by the start of pre-season.

It looks extremely unlikely that Mourinho will end up at Goodison Park, but if there has been an approach I at least applaud the ambition. And lets face it, we never truly believed the club could pull this off did we?

However, the next managerial appointment at Goodison is a crucial one and the board need to go out and do everything they can to tempt the best man available.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

WHP plans scrapped but two new sites indentified via NSNO

Everton have scrapped plans to built a 50,000 seater stadium on Walton Hall Park after it proved too difficult to attract the right kind of retail investment into the scheme.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Unsworth delighted with youngsters’ showings via NSNO

Temporary Everton manager David Unsworth was delighted with how his young debutants fared in Sunday's 3-0 victory over Norwich City.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton could be playing in new stadium by 2019 via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-531595150.0.jpg

Joe Anderson confident of the Toffees finding a new home sooner rather than later.

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson says Everton could be playing in a new stadium within three years.

Anderson was speaking after it was confirmed the club will not now be pushing ahead with a project to build a new stadium on Walton Hall Park.

It is the third time Everton have seen plans for a new stadium collapse after failed attempts to relocate to Kings Dock in 2003 and Kirkby in 2009.

The club have confirmed that they have already identified two brownfield sites within the city boundary and are working with the local council.

Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, Anderson said:

"I’m confident the new stadium will be up and running in three years time.

"I think there is a real acceptance by them and I’m pretty confident that within three years there will be a new stadium for Everton football club in Liverpool."

Given Everton have now failed to move three times in 13 years it seems ambitious to suggest they will be in a new ground within three, especially as they haven't finalised a site yet.

Unless, of course, Anderson knows more than he is letting on.

The WHP project has been a lame duck for a while now so it may well be that new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri has been on the look out for alternative sites since February.

If the club can find a site over the summer and Moshiri can ensure funding, building work could in theory begin as early as next summer with the aim of being in for 2019.

That remains highly ambitious though and after years of false promises I'm not getting my hopes up.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back