Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnsley 0-3 Everton – A Tactical Deconstruction via GrandOldTeam

Koeman-150x150.jpg

My Background (copied from my Everton v Norwich analysis)

Not another Footy Manager-obsessed, Bielsa-fanatic, football tactics hipster reeling off buzz words like ‘double pivote’ and ‘catennacio’ again, I hear you cry? No, certainly not. Football has often been made far too clever for its own good by these types of blog sites.

I hold a UEFA B Licence and currently work as a full-time football coach for an English Premier League club; I also have six years’ experience as a first team manager in the Welsh Leagues.

I have been a member of this site for many years, but under a different username. I will continue to use that to voice my opinions, etc but will use this account to (hopefully!) provide an insight into the game without too much opinion.

Pre-Match

In relative terms, we are still early on in the pre-season schedule and this was our first ‘real’ match after the behind-closed-doors workout game in Austria. From scanning the videos and photographs uploaded onto the official social media accounts, it seemed as though there had been a heavy emphasis on fitness training (as many expected).

One of the other videos was from a basic “crossing and shooting” drill; rest assured, although this is beneficial in practising these techniques, this was almost certainly used as a “rest” exercise after a fitness session, given the large amount of rest time for each player waiting their turn to either cross or finish.

In terms of new faces, the only ‘in’ has been Stekelenburg, so Koeman is perhaps still assessing his squad before committing big money to key positions. It is clear where players are needed, but I would imagine that the delay is either to do with contractual negotiations on those that he has made his mind on, or how much money to allocate to particular positions (i.e. is centre midfield in more need than centre back, etc.)

Team Selection

Koeman opted for a youthful looking starting eleven with the only real surprise of Deulofeu playing as the lone striker.

teamsheet-jpg.26850

Formation

Everton started the match with a standard 4-2-3-1 formation. Robles in goal, whilst Tom Davies continued at RB, Baines at LB. The young pairing of Holgate & Galloway played at CB, with Gibson and Besic as two holding midfielders in front of them. Dowell played as number ten, with Mirallas on the left, Lennon on the right and the surprise choice of Deulofeu up front.

Tactical Approach and Main Differences From Martinez’ Everton

Martinez Approach (copied from my Everton v Norwich analysis)

Under Martinez, Everton played (and very rarely deviated from) the 4-2-3-1 formation. He would use playmakers rather than wingers in the wide positions; these playmakers would take up central positions to receive short passes from deep, as his side looked to build play slowly up the pitch “in between the lines.”

Team Shape

There wasn’t much difference in the team shape today; however, the personnel choices in wide areas was, I’m sure, a relief to most Evertonians. Koeman decided on two wingers playing in the wide areas and played with real width. There was also regular interchanging of positions between the “front four” both in and out of possession.

Without the Ball

Similar to the Norwich match under Unsworth, the initial instruction was clear; when we lose the ball, press high up the pitch to win it back straight away. If we don’t win it back, get back into formation. The wingers’ defensive duties were to track the opposition full backs and “double up” with their own full back in wide areas.

It was also interesting to see how we pressed the opposition backline with the striker and four immediately behind him, thus just leaving one of the two ‘holding’ midfielders back to cover.

high-press-jpg.26851

Another feature of this “high-press” saw our full backs push forward and “lock on” to the opposition wingers. The coaching point here is to give yourself a few yards off the winger and only go to close whilst the ball is travelling to him. This is to prevent you from leaving your position too much and being done by the channel ball in behind you. Your objective then is to either ‘nick it’ ahead of their winger or force him to play backwards. Coleman was excellent at the stealing of possession in these situations when he came on.

high-press-show-inside-jpg.26852

Again, as with the Unsworth match, it was refreshing to see that our team had clearly been given instructions and responsibilities on shape without the ball. Our wingers always tried to show the opposition full backs ‘inside’ rather than down the line, as that is where we had numbers to steal possession high up the pitch.

With the Ball

When in possession of the ball, the following was notable:

1. Goal Kicks

As with the Martinez era, the centre backs were instructed to “split” and one midfielder dropped in between the two to receive the ball and play forward.

cb-split-1st-half-jpg.26844

This was the same in the second half with different personnel.

cb-split-2nd-half-jpg.26845

However, one important difference here (and as alluded to by Koeman in his post-match interview) was what the full back did with the ball when he received it (see point 2 below).

2. The Channel Ball

On a number of occasions, particularly on the right hand side, we got the ball to the full back (Tom Davies) who then played it long down the channel for Deulofeu to run onto.

channel-ball-1-jpg.26846

It should also be noted that Lennon’s movement was excellent in this phase; by moving infield, he drags his marker with him, allowing for the creation of this space. This was hugely effective in bypassing the opposition press.

channel-ball-2-jpg.26847

There was then a clear instruction given to the opposite winger (Mirallas) and Dowell to get into the box and attack the ball.

channel-ball-2-mirallas-arriving-jpg.26848

We nearly scored twice from this in the opening 12 minutes (firstly, Lennon then Mirallas).

3. Number Ten Receiving “On the Turn” and Playing Forward Quickly

In the first half, our holding midfielders looked to feed Dowell, who would take a minimal amount of touches before releasing Deulofeu on the channel side of the centre back. Under Martinez, the number ten was often used as a “wall” to bounce the ball back off to the centre-mids as we built slowly.

Chances Created

Many of our chances were created from cutting the ball back from the byline, but as previously mentioned, the main outlets were always the ball into the channel from deep or into the number ten to play the striker in early.

1-0: Mirallas free kick. No analysis required.

2-0: This came from Deulofeu getting “channel side” of his centre back and an excellent through ball. A calm finish beneath the keeper.

3-0: Barkley picking the ball up in the pocket. Very positive play, as he turned his marker and unleashed a rocket.

Chances Conceded

We actually conceded a lot of chances during this match and I am certain that Koeman will have been unhappy with aspects of our defending.

1. In-Swinging Crosses from Deep, Hitting the Back Post

We really struggled to deal with this in the first half with both full backs losing their runners and also the centre backs being caught underneath the ball.

2. Short Corners

I was shocked at how poorly we defended the short option. Numbers-wise, we brought everybody back to defend the corners. The coaching point on opposition taking a short corner is to send TWO defenders; one to engage the man, the other to support in case of a pass or first man being beaten by the dribble. We conceded a clear cut chance from this in the first half then no more than five minutes later, fell for the same trick again. We were far too slow to react to the short ball.

Weaknesses

As mentioned, as with last season, we looked very susceptible to crosses. I would liked to have seen our full backs and wingers get slightly closer to the crossers to prevent them from delivering with quality, but it was the aerial ability of our centre backs and goalkeeper that concerned me most, particularly in the first half. This was a huge thorn in our side last season and I am sure Koeman will be addressing this in the coming weeks. Incidentally, we looked better when Funes Mori came on and it should be remembered that our centre backs were too youngsters in the first half.

Barnsley enjoyed their best spell of the match during the first half from the 30th minute to the 45th minute. The opposition were “ahead” of us in terms of matches played so far in pre-season and also, our players are no doubt still adapting to the high-press of Koeman’s play, so I am sure our fitness had a lot to do with us dropping off in the way that we did.

Conclusion

A comfortable and enjoyable win with plenty of positives to take for our new manager. We also have an achievable “to-do” list in terms of improving, particularly given Koeman’s playing background. It would be hugely surprising if the defensive issues are not addressed during training this week.

Despite his finishing letting him down on a few occasions, Deulofeu’s performance was a highlight and he showed that he is more than capable of playing “on the shoulder” in the striker’s position. Mirallas also looked a changed man, whilst Davies again looked comfortable out of position at right back.

We now eagerly await the next match; hopefully with an injection of new talent and with aerial defensive deficiencies addressed.

The post Barnsley 0-3 Everton – A Tactical Deconstruction appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Rumour: Everton Agree £25m Fee for Zenit’s Witsel via NSNO

Axel Witsel's move to Everton is back on after Zenit St Petersburg accepted a £25m offer for the midfielder, according to the Daily Mail.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton agree Axel Witsel deal but move remains in doubt via Royal Blue Mersey

544145624.0.jpg

Toffees waiting on midfielder to decide his next club

Everton have reportedly agreed a £25m fee with Zenit St Petersburg for Axel Witsel, but it is now up to the player to decide whether he wants to move to Goodison Park.

The Daily Mail and Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzo both report that Everton have stolen a march on Chelsea, Napoli and Inter Milan by having a bid accepted for the Belgian international.

It is also believed that Everton are prepared to offer big wages in order to lure the 27-year-old to Goodison Park.

The Mail also carries quotes from Zenit coach Mircea Lucesco, who confirms Witsel’s desire to leave the club:

“He has spoken with the club and he has asked to leave. He has two offers from Italy and two from England.

'The club placed a high valuation on him because he is an important player, one of international level. We are talking about a player who can do well in many teams.”

However, before we all get too excited we need to remember that the transfer saga has been stuck at this point for several weeks.

It has been widely reported that Everton are willing to pay more money than anyone else for some time, but Witsel himself has yet to make a firm decision.

Twitter is full of ITK’s and armchair experts taking a punt as to when any deal may be completed but the reality is no-one really knows.

News about the deal has only ever come from dubious sources, with the likes of Paul Joyce of the Daily Express and Andy Hunter of the Guardian yet to report on the move.

The best course of action is to remain patient and trust Koeman, Walsh, Kenwright and Moshiri to get it right in the end.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Former Everton manager David Moyes is named as new gaffer for Sunderland via Royal Blue Mersey

579208508.0.jpg

He returns to the Premier League after a two-year hiatus

Sunderland have announced that David Moyes will be their new manager on a four-year deal in a press release on Saturday. He will be replacing Sam Allardyce, who was named as the England National Team’s new head man earlier in the week.

“(Moyes) is a man whose football pedigree speaks for itself and is someone I have long admired,” Sunderland chairman Ellis Short said. “I have spoken with him on many occasions and I have alway been hugely impressed.”

Moyes comes to Sunderland after unsuccessful spells with both Manchester United and Real Sociedad over the last three years. In each case, he was sacked after just one season on the job and leading the teams to league finishes of seventh and 12th, respectively.

Prior to that, he became well regarded as Everton’s gaffer from 2002-2013. In his time with the Blues, Moyes brought in a number of club legends, including Tim Cahill, Tim Howard, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines to name a few.

With Moyes in charge, Everton became a contender again. He took a side that had finished 15th in the Premier League in the 2001-02 season and got them all the way up to fourth for the 2004-05 campaign. He was named the manager of the year three times (2002-03, 2004-05, 2008-09) while with the Toffees.

The 53-year-old Scot now enters into a very different challenge. Sunderland are perennial bottom feeders in the Premier League and narrowly avoided relegation yet again last season. Getting their manager in so late, it may be tough to get in many transfer targets prior to the beginning of the season.

“I am delighted to have joined Sunderland,” Moyes said. “I am relishing the challenge and excited by the opportunity. I have taken over a big British club with a great support and I’m looking forward to working in the Premier League again. I look forward to continuing the good work done by Sam”.

For more on this move going forward, check out our sister site Roker Report for all things related to Sunderland.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton to battle Leicester for Euro 2016 starlet via Royal Blue Mersey

539545234.0.jpg

Poland’s Kapustka linked with the Blues

Poland’s 19-year-old midfielder Bartosz Kapustka caught the eye with some of his performances in this summer’s Euro 2016 tournament. Now the British media are reporting that Leicester City have made a bid of £6.25m to his club Cracovia Kraków who play in the Polish Ekstraklasa League.

However, there’s plenty of interest in the player, with the Daily Mail stating that Everton, Southampton, Cologne and Ajax Amsterdam are all interested in the player, and Standard Liege have also had a bid rejected.

Premier League champions Foxes have already lost N’Golo Kante this offseason, and could also see Riyad Mahrez leave (with Everton linked there too), and are looking to secure Kapustka’s services should that happen.

Kapustka can play on either wing or behind the striker, though he mostly favors the left side. He had 5 goals and 10 assists in 35 domestic appearances last season, with 2 goals and 11 caps for the senior team. He does show a penchant for disciplinary issues, racking up two yellow cards during the group stages of Euro 2016 and then being suspended for the round of 16 game. He came on late in the quarterfinals against eventual champions Portugal and was promptly booked again.

Should Everton make a move for the player, it’s unlikely he’ll get a look-in at the senior squad quite yet, but could provide great depth for David Unsworth’s U21 side.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Are Everton really interested in Riyad Mahrez? via Royal Blue Mersey

501982570.0.jpg

What do Blues have to attract him, aside from money?

The weekend rumour mill sometimes churns up some unexpected gems, and as gems go this one is probably the Koh-i-noor of them all.

Leicester City’s creative dynamo and winner of the PFA Player of the Year for last season Riyad Mahrez has been linked with Arsenal for the last few days, and now apparently there’s a new suitor for him, and it’s none other than so-far-inactive Everton.

Multiple media sources are claiming, without much background, that Ronald Koeman is an admirer of the Algerian’s play (who isn’t?) and wants to bring him to Goodison Park.

The player is rumoured to be valued at £35 million, which seems like chump change considering the Toffees have been linked with a litany of players this transfer window for sums in that range.

Arsenal remain the frontrunners for his signature if he were to leave, with Foxes manager Claudio Ranieri saying yesterday that Mahrez is going nowhere.

In fact, in the days after the Blues captured Foxes’ assistant coach Steve Walsh to be the first ever Director of Football at Everton, it was rumoured that the Toffees dropped their pursuit of Kasper Schmeichel due to a “gentleman’s agreement” between the two clubs that Everton would not poach any Leicester players.

It is difficult to see Everton as serious contenders for Mahrez considering they will not even be in Europe this year, and while the portents of the Koeman era are good so far, with no big signings it’s almost impossible to predict where the Blues will end this season in a league flush with cash and plenty of quality.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back