Not open for further replies.
Under-23s Extend Winning Run via Official EFC

a3ec9ca5446e4513862bb5b383023d56.jpg

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Koeman says Everton are not interested in goalie Hart via Royal Blue Mersey

592597926.0.jpg

Manager’s pre-match comments ahead of Stoke game

It turns out that the rumours of Everton being interested in England international goalkeeper Joe Hart were a media creation after all. Or else Ronald Koeman is the greatest poker player or troll of them all.

WATCH : @RonaldKoeman gives an injury update on his squad ahead of Saturday.https://t.co/MCme98ZdxN

— Everton (@everton) August 25, 2016

In his pre-match quotes ahead of the Stoke City game on Saturday, the Toffees manager was quite vehement in his denial that Everton were not in for Hart.

“There is no interest.”

When later pressed if there had been any contact for the player, he repeated –

“No.”

Koeman was also asked about other players the Blues have been linked with lately, namely forward Lucas Perez and defender Cuco Martina –

“I don't talk about which position or which players or you start the season talking about transfers.

“We play Stoke at home this Saturday and it's more important than all the rumours and transfers.

“I know it's a good job for you (journalists). You can spend 24 hours talking about transfers but I need to prepare the team for this Saturday. In my opinion that's more important.”

Current players James McCarthy and Bryan Oviedo have been linked with moves away, but he refused to comment on them as well –

“It’s about decisions we make on the future of players that people will see next week.”

In other injury news –

"Seamus Coleman is doing well but not so well that he will be fit for weekend," said the Blues boss. "We have some small doubts over James McCarthy, Darron Gibson and Tom Cleverley but I would expect them normally to be fit for the weekend.

"Apart from that it's only really Coleman [missing]."

He also spoke at length about the team getting up to the fitness levels he would like. Koeman had famously criticized the players for only being at 70% ahead of the season opener against Tottenham.

“Everybody needs game time and physical strength to play at the highest level that they can, all of them are very good players.

“We are improving. When you have a midweek game it is difficult to get that intensity in training but we are still improving. It is normal that we would be physically better than we were before the Tottenham game.

“We are close to 100 per cent. Some players did not get much game time in pre-season and they have only had their first 90 minutes on Tuesday. Maybe those players need one or two weeks more. They will have international duty as well to play.

“To get everyone up to the level you need to play in the Premier League, it normally takes up until after the transfer window.”

The manager is happy with the progress the side has been making overall –

“I am very happy about the work rate of the team, how they like to improve, learning what I like to do and what they need to do. We do a lot of different things to what they used to do but that is good.

“In my opinion that brings a fresh air to everybody. That’s good because I believe in that way, in that philosophy and you need time to get everyone involved in that structure.

“It’s been a good start to the season because it was difficult in pre-season. We have already played two Premier League games and I think four points out of that is positive.

“But we know we have to be prepared for the next one. The victory at West Brom gave us a lot of confidence but we know that Stoke is always a tough game. We need to be prepared for that.”

He also spoke about Ross Barkley who was captain for the day on Tuesday in the EFL Cup Second Round game against Yeovil Town –

"His start to the season has been positive. The most important thing in this situation is that the player himself knows that it is a big season for him.

"He is not ‘that talent’ anymore – he needs to show it. That’s more responsibility for the player than maybe he has had these last two years.

"Ross knows about the pressure because he is a local boy. That gives everybody more pressure but he can handle that.

"He is working hard and tying to improve. I think there is still a lot of space for him to improve and become a very good player.

"From outside, maybe you get inspiration but I think that mentality needs to come from yourself.

"It starts every day by doing your job and being a professional. Of course, you need help and the confidence of the coach. But it always starts with the player by himself."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Arsenal set to beat Everton to striking target via Royal Blue Mersey

488724354.0.jpg

Gunners come in with last-minute bid for Perez

Everton could be set to miss out on striker Lucas Perez after Arsenal launched a late bid for the Deportivo striker.

The Toffees were understood to have agreed a fee in the region £17m for the 27-year-old, who scored 17 goals in La Liga last season.

Personal terms were also reportedly agreed with a deal seemingly close to completion.

However, various journalists are reporting that Arsenal made moves to sign Perez late on Wednesday evening.

Arsenal interested in signing Deportivo La Coruna CF Lucas Perez. Not done deal but #AFC in contention – 27yo, 17 gls in 37 apps last season

— David Ornstein (@bbcsport_david) August 25, 2016

There is still some way to go before the move it is completed but Arsenal are now firm favourites to land the striker.

The Gunners can of course offer Champions League football while the lure of living in London is also an attractive proposition to foreign players.

Everton had done all the groundwork on Lucas Perez Martinez & sorted deal with Deportivo – but Arsenal came in with late interest.

— Phil McNulty (@philmcnulty) August 25, 2016

Some critics may question Everton’s ability to get these deals over the line, leaving themselves open to gazumping by more established rivals.

However, I think the reality is that Everton’s current position in the footballing food chain means they will always struggle to land top targets from abroad.

Until they secure European football, maybe win a trophy or two and start to trouble the top positions in the Premier League they will always be overlooked if the likes of Arsenal or Man City come calling.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton v Stoke City Preview via GrandOldTeam

EFC-Stoke-150x150.jpg

Three league games in before the most ill timed interruption there is. The international break, except only for those with an unhealthy obsession for Brext, UKIP, the Daily Mail and at least one St George’s flag tattoo.

Ultimately you know the outcome of English shitting their pants when it comes to the crunch, but to be fair that doesn’t stop us Evertoning for most weekends. Apologies for the ghastly verb I made up there.

article-2291860-1892EB94000005DC-2_964x707.jpg

We’ve two games had since we last corresponded and by that I mean since you probably never had any awareness of this samey preview in the big void of the internet, or mistakenly clicked on a link by GrandOldTeam, or maybe just scrolled through the old photos. The Yeovil game was not even out of first gear with a few changes but thankfully not Moyes third round of the cup type changes, as we’re still in it. There was also a pleasing comeback win over West Brom where, if hidden misplaced symbolism is your thing, Koeman really announced himself to Everton with a sub after 35 minutes, changing the system and winning the three points.

Which lines us up at home against Stoke this weekend and it’s going a bit more pleasant than you probably expected – what with the lack of signings and 70% fitness things. However, Everton being Everton are masters of a spanner in the work and weekend ruining experts so we’ll keep any optimism toned down until a later date.

What about Stoke then? Well they are what they are and a very much established team in the Premier League, one which finished above us. You knew that, and a little later on I’ll cast some unkind stereotyping on them as that’s what we do in the interests of faux internet partisanship.

Stoke-City-kit-1965.jpg

Stoke will be keen to put some points on the board as they have one so far from a draw away to Middlesbrough and a tonking at home courtesy of John Stones’ Man City which leaves on a run of one win the last ten in the Premier League, we can see where fate is heading for this weekend’s game.

They’re managed by an old ex player and foe of ours in Mark Hughes, with hair like a weekend break Scottish sky, who will receive no big love at Goodison on the back of looking down his nose at us when buying Joleon Lescott seven years ago. Clearly Guardiola learned his lesson when recently making a similar transaction for our valued English centre back.

This corresponding fixture last season was peak Martinez with Stoke taking a fantastic three points in a 4-3 away win. Head’s started truly rolling in earnest concluding in Martinez’s exit towards the end of the season. It’s a bit too early in his successor’s reign to be using this as a marker for perceived improvement, but same that same token we’d enjoying giving them a stern goosing in the interests getting this latest attempt at Everton success.

B5YuhH2IIAAkRaD.jpg:large

Stoke suffer a lot of stereotypes in both their football and people, many of which are unfair. They were symbolic of long ball and physical football under Pulis but under Hughes he’s added no small amount of skill and craft, resulting in a canny team that can beat you a number of ways.

The people of Stoke have also suffered from being from a smaller city and the locals being a tad “organic”. By organic I mean grown up without pesticides in muck and grime, and acknowledged only by cords wearing weirdos. It’s not uncommon to have a weekly arm wrestling night in the local pub, to tie up your Staffordshire Bull Terrier outside, drink a pint of Chinese and dodge dogshit like a drunken game of Frogger on the way home through cold streets.

That said we have to take things in context and when you put them alongside the other folk of Premier League clubs they’re preferable to most, they have a working class local parochial support, a keen appreciation of history and traditions and many of them eschew the ladbible/soccer AM/talksport brand of gobshitery that is currently terminally infecting the top of the English game. Another preview where I struggle to truly tear into the opposition for which I apologise, I kind of like them.
22338399794_6859b8e06e_b.jpg

Stoke knows what Stoke is and is comfortable with it. Stoke doesn’t try to be something other than Stoke. Stoke is around the sphincter of England in Birmingham and for all intents and purposes Stoke are the hemorrhoids of England, but manageable grade 1 piles that don’t protrude and can be managed by not straining too much in the gym and a steadfast anal cleanliness policy. Go on, pop a finger up there and feel some Stoke whilst remembering whilst an inconvenience that Stoke could be much worse.

For those of you under 30 reading this and struggling to empathise with the weak analogy I urge you to bookmark this to read in ten years’ time so you “get it”. Because you will.

f058f1e7aa71696667a8d4d759e60fd3.jpg

So, what did they vote in Brexit? Well you can guess from the following recipe:

Predominantly white working class populus/general below average education levels/smaller urban area with not much tourism or people passing through/Sky News being the prime educator for the happenings outside of Stoke/high % of female adults displaying gaudy tattoos.

If that was a recipe for a cake then it would come out tasting a little of xenophobia and ignorance. 58.8% Brexit it was. It’s no sweat as the European Union didn’t even know what Stoke was.

o-STOKE-CITY-MANCHESTER-UNITED-facebook.jpg

OK, a list of some of their players who may or may not play in this game:

Arnautovic – the Bavarian Bolasie who played Everton interest rather sweetly to get a payrise, well in.

Shaqiri – poster boy of the Shire, Cottee’s leg double, who has mad skillz and is a doubt for this game.

Joe Allen – like a Cabbage Patch Pirlo, he’ll stroll around deep in midfield and collect pleasing Opta stats.

Walters – always pleasing to see someone from Birkenhead achieve success without selling heroin or via realityTV.

Glenn Johnson – remember how much Liverpool paid him a week and they all tried to pretend it was value?

Butland – ace young keeper who Barkley should tap up in England a-la-Stones-Hart but is a doubt for the game.

That’s your Stoke. Let’s talk Everton.

marouane-fellaini-460-623051325.jpg

Big RoKoe with his shoot from the hip talking and face like a late summer harvest moon over rural Netherlands is going about changing stuff hopefully for the better and stop us being shithouses when it comes to getting results.

The presence of a larger male up front will be required and with tremendous timing it may just be the Kone you wasn’t expecting to make a stake for a place in the team. With Lukaku being a bit working his way to fitness, if not then the Deulofeu project which seems a bit doomed to fail.

I have slight anxiety that Koeman won’t get Deulofeu which would be a shame as there’s a match winner in there, albeit with the fitness levels of a latter day Anichebe. Mirallas seems to be keen though and that’s no bad thing as we may have forgot that there’s a cracking player in there on his day.

Rory-Delap_1259956.jpg

Stoke have a weakness at full back so this is the type of game you’d hope Bolasie may have some sort of impact from wide, whether that will be from the bench or from the start will be Koeman’s shout.

The most heartening bonus so far has been Gueye in midfield, not only for his interceptions but for the way he always looks to turn and move the ball forward through an effective pass or no shortage of skill and speed. The role of a defensive midfielder has been prone to change in times of late as you couldn’t get away with a Dog Of War in there as they’d be a liability in this no contact age, so the likes of Gueye can do a good job with timing and smart distribution. Early days yet but a paragraph to himself shows my optimism.

1713408-36266544-2560-1440.jpg

Barry has been fantastic and with no European distractions this season may be one of our key players. There’s a few options in the middle of the park that will be interesting to see try to develop. Not sure with the defence but I think it will be a four rather and five, and the height they have on set pieces and from wide may see Funes Mori retain a place despite looking somewhat scary in moments of key defending. Jagielka or Williams alongside him, or maybe even both together.

You could hear Williams shouting instructions from the other side of the pitch against Yeovil, we’ve needed some of this arbitrary attribute. Coleman is out still so there’ll be more Holgate who’s this year’s Galloway at full back. Baines on the left and the Dutch lad in goal who’s done well enough so far to have many not wanting the long time England goalkeeper to swoop in this week, some achievement.

Nothing more to be said really, right into these blues.

The post Everton v Stoke City Preview appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton vs Stoke City: Premier League Matchday 3 via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-502692220.0.jpg

Everton will host Stoke City at Goodison Park on Saturday

If referee Michael Oliver is starting to look familiar to Everton fans, then it’s with good reason. The match official has been in charge for 24 of the Toffees games, and no other team has had more of their matches refereed by Mr. Oliver.

The ref was the man on the spot in the crucial FA Cup quarter final last season as the Blues hosted the other Blues, Chelsea. He ended up sending off Gareth Barry in that game, but not before firebrand striker Diego Costa first bit Barry a la Suarez, and then spit in the referee’s general direction to get a red card.

Luckily there was this moment of brilliance from Romelu Lukaku in that game to make it not an entirely forgettable experience –

–—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—

Match Officials details –

Referee: Michael Oliver

Assistants: G Beswick, A Nunn

Fourth official: N Swarbrick

Michael Oliver’s Everton record –

Oliver%20Everton.JPG
World Football

Michael Oliver Everton record

Referee data courtesy of World Football

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Oliver to referee Everton game against Stoke via Royal Blue Mersey

515117164.0.jpg

Officials announced for Everton game

If referee Michael Oliver is starting to look familiar to Everton fans, then it’s with good reason. The match official has been in charge for 24 of the Toffees games, and no other team has had more of their matches refereed by Mr. Oliver.

The ref was the man on the spot in the crucial FA Cup quarter final last season as the Blues hosted the other Blues, Chelsea. He ended up sending off Gareth Barry in that game, but not before firebrand striker Diego Costa first bit Barry a la Suarez, and then spit in the referee’s general direction to get a red card.

Luckily there was this moment of brilliance from Romelu Lukaku in that game to make it not an entirely forgettable experience –

–—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—

Match Officials details –

Referee: Michael Oliver

Assistants: G Beswick, A Nunn

Fourth official: N Swarbrick

Michael Oliver’s Everton record –

Oliver%20Everton.JPG
World Football

Michael Oliver Everton record

Referee data courtesy of World Football

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back