Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Aye, we've got to be pragmatic about it.

It's why I was rationalising Kalvin Phillips.

But so far, I don't we've prioritised as we should - or enough.

We must have the slowest team in the league.

Oh we appear to be the slowest team in the league and it looks clear, biggest reason is the areas you tend to notice pace the most is in the wide positions and we have absolutely nothing there, not even average but ever option is notable that their biggest drawback is being slow (McNeil, Harrison, Coleman, Young) Mykolenko is the fastest but still only middling speed wise.

Some pace on the wing.

Left back cover/competition.

A decent centre mid.

And we should be ok/not be demented all season.

I think the above should be realistic.

Think the athletic ran an article yesterday stating the club sees the fullback position as ok for the season - at least that's what our Kev says he read.

….here’s me thinking the DoF calls the shots in the transfer market.

Actually support Thelwell in the acquisition of a CB, indicates transition strategy with the inevitable loss of Branthwaite. Its all dependent on O’Brien being good of course.

We don't buy O'Brien and he goes elsewhere as Lyon obviously were selling him this summer, then come next summer and Braithwaithe going, the same people moaning about not needing a CB as a priority now will be slating thelwell for having not planned ahead for him going.

In short, people will always moan about something if they want to moan.

Yeh? We needed a centre half.

But did we need a centre half before a goalscorer.

We have four strikers on the books (not counting Ndiaye) a total of about 250k a week in wages and 50m sank in transfer fees on these which we are still paying off.

We had e no competent back up CB and have spent zero on that position for the last 4 years.

I'd say CB was a priority over adding a fifth CF.

We don't buy O'Brien and he goes elsewhere as Lyon obviously were selling him this summer, then come next summer and Braithwaithe going, the same people moaning about not needing a CB as a priority now will be slating thelwell for having not planned ahead for him going.

In short, people will always moan about something if they want to moan.
I also think the fact that neither Tarkowski or Branthwaite (the basis of us staying in the league last season) has played a single minute in pre-season due to niggling injuries, caused them to switch from an attacking player (Gnonto) to another centre half with the limited amount of cash we had available from the Onana sale. That unfortunately now means there’s nothing left in the pot to pursue Gnonto or an alternative winger, or a central midfielder. But I can fully understand the reasoning in switching priorities to a centre half with the issues we’re currently having with our first choice pairing. Going in to a new season with a Keane/Holgate partnership is inconceivable.

Fully agree there and he should have scored more last season, 100%, even taking my initial points into account.

He missed some chances. But the general point about his all-round play stands. And all it takes is a look at Beto (who I think is a more potent finisher if given the chance) to show that it is quite hard to bring that skillset in.

For example, people seem keen on Adebayo, who did have a good season at Luton. But he played consistently in a two and was often able to drift wide or play off the shoulder while Morris did the leg work. Would he be able to do as well in Dyche's system up on his own?

By people seem keen, I'm guessing you mean Baz and the lads if toffee TV who seems to have a wan' fest over him, If I hear the words, big strong fast powerful lad of Baz one more time I'm gonna start wondering if he has a secret crush on the bloke.

He ignores stuff like, technically poor, crap control, can't finish and already at an age he isn't gonna push on and improve.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back