Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Yet again the club have allowed another transfer window to pass by without addressing the pace issue. Complete negligence on our part. Come on EFC, surprise me for once today.

If you're talking about @john jako , I think you mean high level degenerate.
IMG_0973.jpeg

Borderline bullying this now from JJ. Feel like Megan Markle over here

Circumstances have worked against us with him

He spent the best part of 2 years injured and you couldn't have found a buyer for him then, equally we would have been stupid to extend his contract.

Then you get to last summer and Newcastle opted (wisely) for Isak over him, but no other solid interest that we know of until this summer and he's finally managed a season injury free, but now he has a year left on the deal and won't sign an new one. We would have been daft to offer him a new one until recently, but things have worked out against us. He's a tad deluded about his actual worth if I'm honest, but that's his business.
Everton never encouraged him to go by signing better forwards to come in and demonstrating to DCL that his game time was limited here and that, with a couple of seasons on his contract, he should be shifting out. Beto, unfortunately, wasn't quite that player (although I still say he's better than DCL).

Well run clubs do that: they get an obvious successor in and then the player demoted gets the picture and is willing to leave.

Disagree with almost everything you've written there.

First: the CB group required attention. Why? Branthwaite injured (and widely rumoured to be leaving), Tarkowski in the twilight of his career, Keane and Holgate both awful and overpaid. Bringing in O'Brien now was the right call, and will only become an even better call if we can sell one of Keane and Holgate before the window closes.

Second: Keane has absolutely NOT been better than Tarkowski. That's simply wild.

Third: We are, if Tarkowski is indeed carrying an injury, facing a potential absence of both our starting CBs. In that scenario, the 4th CB has to play. When your 3rd CB is Keane and your 4th is Holgate, you don't EVER want them playing together - you don't even want ONE of them playing, if you can help it.

Buying O'Brien was a good use of funds. You're right in saying we're short of cash, but in that situation you can't always get everything you want, which is why selling is so important: if we can get a Maupay-lite deal for one of Holgate or Keane, then we have improved the CB room and lowered the payroll for that group AND recouped some of the transfer fee.

The alternative is getting to next July with Tarkowski a year older, Keane and Holgate out of contract (having both sucked another year's salary each from the club) and Branthwaite being sold, with no succession strategy in place. That's when magically the price of CBs would go through the roof every time we tried to buy one. Not remotely sensible.
Good long-time view and not forgetting to add our more than solid allrounder option in defense Ben Godfrey was sold in the last year of his contract.

Can discuss whether these 16m were a bit high, but that we got someone is good. I mean we could have gotten someone for free like Hummels, Matip, Hermoso for example on pretty high wage that would have worked for 1-2 seasons, but in the end we would only delay that spending.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back