Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Everton never encouraged him to go by signing better forwards to come in and demonstrating to DCL that his game time was limited here and that, with a couple of seasons on his contract, he should be shifting out. Beto, unfortunately, wasn't quite that player (although I still say he's better than DCL).

Well run clubs do that: they get an obvious successor in and then the player demoted gets the picture and is willing to leave.

Probably the lack of competition gives them an inflated sense of their worth too

Don't get the Jake OBrien signing criticism - we just conceded 7 without Branthwaite in the team and he is injured. Dyche clearly isn't going to put new signings straight in - that's the way he is.

Despite the lack of goals last season we stayed up + NDiaye , Lindstrom give us extra.

I don't get the calls for a right back - surely the squad needs a left back.

Everton never encouraged him to go by signing better forwards to come in and demonstrating to DCL that his game time was limited here and that, with a couple of seasons on his contract, he should be shifting out. Beto, unfortunately, wasn't quite that player (although I still say he's better than DCL).

Well run clubs do that: they get an obvious successor in and then the player demoted gets the picture and is willing to leave.

I don't disagree, but again think context about circumstances here is important. There was a time where he was seen as our shining light and we were just desperate to get him fit. All we really cared about was having cover if he was injured. Last summer that was important and Beto was all we could do given our cashflow problems. I don't blame anyone other than Moshiri for that one, Thelwell had a major job on his hands trying to find anyone vaguely suitable that we could get for zero outlay up front. The year before and the Maupay decision is probably the one you'd look at more. We'll never know who was truly to blame for that one (if you believe Bobble and his mate then you blame Lampard and Kenwright, but Thelwell was the DoF), but I agree that the decision to sign him rather than a genuine number 9 who could compete/replace Dom at that point was a major mistake in hindsight (Guirassy was the one that Thelwell allegedly wanted).

With the benefit of hindsight, you're right, but I think the window to make that choice was a fairly small one and everything else in terms of circumstances has worked against us aside from that.

Don't get the Jake OBrien signing criticism - we just conceded 7 without Branthwaite in the team and he is injured. Dyche clearly isn't going to put new signings straight in - that's the way he is.

Despite the lack of goals last season we stayed up + NDiaye , Lindstrom give us extra.

I don't get the calls for a right back - surely the squad needs a left back.
We need a fullback who can play on both sides or just a general utility player in the Milner mold

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back