Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Iimagine if something crazy happened and our prospective owners put in a quick loan and said 'go and buy Toney' ....

that would change everything I reckon. I like to dream on transfer deadline day

Disagree with almost everything you've written there.

First: the CB group required attention. Why? Branthwaite injured (and widely rumoured to be leaving), Tarkowski in the twilight of his career, Keane and Holgate both awful and overpaid. Bringing in O'Brien now was the right call, and will only become an even better call if we can sell one of Keane and Holgate before the window closes.

Second: Keane has absolutely NOT been better than Tarkowski. That's simply wild.

Third: We are, if Tarkowski is indeed carrying an injury, facing a potential absence of both our starting CBs. In that scenario, the 4th CB has to play. When your 3rd CB is Keane and your 4th is Holgate, you don't EVER want them playing together - you don't even want ONE of them playing, if you can help it.

Buying O'Brien was a good use of funds. You're right in saying we're short of cash, but in that situation you can't always get everything you want, which is why selling is so important: if we can get a Maupay-lite deal for one of Holgate or Keane, then we have improved the CB room and lowered the payroll for that group AND recouped some of the transfer fee.

The alternative is getting to next July with Tarkowski a year older, Keane and Holgate out of contract (having both sucked another year's salary each from the club) and Branthwaite being sold, with no succession strategy in place. That's when magically the price of CBs would go through the roof every time we tried to buy one. Not remotely sensible.
Agree.

I'm fully on board with the O'Brien signing.

Post-May-2021.webp

Disagree with almost everything you've written there.

First: the CB group required attention. Why? Branthwaite injured (and widely rumoured to be leaving), Tarkowski in the twilight of his career, Keane and Holgate both awful and overpaid. Bringing in O'Brien now was the right call, and will only become an even better call if we can sell one of Keane and Holgate before the window closes.

Second: Keane has absolutely NOT been better than Tarkowski. That's simply wild.

Third: We are, if Tarkowski is indeed carrying an injury, facing a potential absence of both our starting CBs. In that scenario, the 4th CB has to play. When your 3rd CB is Keane and your 4th is Holgate, you don't EVER want them playing together - you don't even want ONE of them playing, if you can help it.

Buying O'Brien was a good use of funds. You're right in saying we're short of cash, but in that situation you can't always get everything you want, which is why selling is so important: if we can get a Maupay-lite deal for one of Holgate or Keane, then we have improved the CB room and lowered the payroll for that group AND recouped some of the transfer fee.

The alternative is getting to next July with Tarkowski a year older, Keane and Holgate out of contract (having both sucked another year's salary each from the club) and Branthwaite being sold, with no succession strategy in place. That's when magically the price of CBs would go through the roof every time we tried to buy one. Not remotely sensible.

I'm not arguing that CB didn't need attention. Just that it didn't require immediate attention. It only required attention if certain things happened, as you quite rightly said, Branthwaite leaving would've required a new CB. Tarkowski being out injured for a while would've required a new CB.

Succession planning is something we can't really afford to do, in my opinion. With very little to spend, it's a luxury. If we don't become more threatening in attack and score more goals this season, I believe we will go down. I don't think it's wild to suggest we have the worst attack in the division (again). If that isn't addressed in these remaining hours of the window, ,maybe we won't go down but we'll almost certainly be down the bottom fighting with the rest of them.

Given that O'Brien doesn't start ahead of either Branthwaite or Tarkowski when fit, I expect the O'Brien signing isn't going to be what has kept us up, if that plays out. Priorities all wrong, again, even if O'Brien might prove to be an astute signing down the line. It won't matter if we're not in the Premier League, will it?

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back