Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

If you believe the Bobble, Maupay was a Lampard decision - he wanted PL experience. Thelwell wanted Guirassy but was overruled by Kenwright who sided with Lampard
If the manager and chairman can overrule the DoF then the model is just pointless, this is the issue we have had for years now and why we have had so many issues with recruitment.

Really hoping we don't need to generate about £150 to pay interest on loans / keep the lights on / pay Beto and Chermiti's installments / give ourselves a 'warchest' of about £30m from what's left over.

We have to be honest with ourselves though and understand the position we're in - even if we could keep Branthwaite this summer he'd only be sold next summer anyway.

Onana, no big loss as he doesn't suit us. Hoping north of £50m.

Is there any way we can get any money for Keane, Holgate or Godfrey? Even £10m for the set would be fantastic. But unfortunately about 0.1% likely as nobody comes close to matching their wages and they walk away free end of the season. Rule out any of them leaving.

Maupay? Brentford definitely won't buy him and no team will have been impressed by him watching his efforts this season and thinking they need to bring him in.

The only other asset is Pickford. Easily a £50m + keeper but no team in the league needs him and not many clubs abroad throw that money at goalkeepers, and the biggest clubs that could afford him are all well-stocked; PSG, Real, Barca, Atletico. Only Bayern are looking for a keeper in the next few years, but Neuer will be their number 1 next season still.

We cannot afford to let DCL leave, he's a £30m striker on his day (or compared with £28m Beto, a £100m one) and going into a season with Beto and Chermiti only would 100% guarantee 20th place and likely a new low points record.

With all that in mind, I think we can definitely rule out being about to generate anything like £150m in sales even if we wanted to sell Branthwaite, Onana and Pickford.

I see a horrible summer on the horizon, probably seeing Keane once again promoted to starting CB next season, Gueye and Onana having left us and a very poor and cheap replacement brought in to play alongside Garner and hoping neither pick up any kind of injury for 9 months. No doubt the club will end up bringing in another player that disappears to the ACON.

Contract extensions for Young and Coleman.

Good times Bill.

Last edited:
While finding the transfer thread particularly depressing I'm regularly forced to giggle when someone suggests we could actually receive money for Holgate.

That little girl buying chocolate with buttons in the Cadbury ad wouldn't want to pay anything for him, even if her Mum wanted him really badly for her birthday.

…..I thought we have a DOF who manages transfers, you know the fella who gave us Maupay and Beto. Thelwell is a concern.
Well you’re delusional if you think dyche isn’t having a huge input in signings. As for Maupay pre dyche, he was signed on deadline day, because the only fit striker we had was Rondon, Thelwell and Lampard wanted Kudus and I think there were hoping for Broja on loan and ended up with either maupay or Che Adams on deadline day and Southampton wanted 25mil for Adams.

Do you think it was Thelwell who went for Ashley young

…..I thought we have a DOF who manages transfers, you know the fella who gave us Maupay and Beto. Thelwell is a concern.
While Maupay is low hanging fruit, I honestly think Thelwell has been one of the better ones for us in recent history. His player sales have been amazing, prices we haven't fetched for a loooong time.

Last years purchases are a big improvement IMHO. Tarkowski, Gueye, Garner, McNeil, Onana, Maupay for 67 million is good business, especially compared to Sigurdson, Keane, Klaassen, Walcott, Pickford, Tosun for double that. While Beto may be a miss, I think its likely Thelwell was told "We have no money, find someone you don't have to pay for for a year" and didn't have much choice.

While Maupay is low hanging fruit, I honestly think Thelwell has been one of the better ones for us in recent history. His player sales have been amazing, prices we haven't fetched for a loooong time.

Last years purchases are a big improvement IMHO. Tarkowski, Gueye, Garner, McNeil, Onana, Maupay for 67 million is good business, especially compared to Sigurdson, Keane, Klaassen, Walcott, Pickford, Tosun for double that. While Beto may be a miss, I think its likely Thelwell was told "We have no money, find someone you don't have to pay for for a year" and didn't have much choice.
Agreed, ive been fairly critical of Conker in the past.

Yes Beto is quite glaring, 27m is a lot of folding for a club like us, but no real compaints about anybody else.

Even the much derided Ashley Young has come in and got the team comfortably mid-table.

He also realised he dropped the ball with Maupay and got him gone ASAP.

Tough gig for him this window and no doubt the majority of our incomings will be near the end of the window, so I cant promise I wont lose my head during that time, but for now, you can only judge him the results on the pitch and apart from the 4 month winless streak, the results and our final position is decent for a team in the state we are in.

I would also add that we have signed a young striker in Chermiti who looks good and reportedly have a deal lined up for a good 16 year old forward for the summer.

Gary "Better Than Dyche" O'Neil is looking to bag Che Adams on a free this summer.

I'm sure there will be some confused heads on here in regards to this.

Man U wanting Branthwaite in part exchange with Maguire is laughable to me. We're not stupid but we're not clever either. I wouldn't put it past us.

85m wasn't it? Six years ago?

Must be at least 110-120m now.

I’d feel so deflated if It was anything less than 85m with add ons or players coming our way, either on loan or transfer, and I don’t mean slab head!

The club need to hold firm on this one, Onana will go on to be a big player, JB will go on to be a generation talent.

If we could hold on to him for another year, his value would rocket further.
If any Man Utd player were to come our way, you’d presume they’d have to take a massive pay cut.
I can’t see that happening, and to be honest I’m not sure I’d want any of them.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back