Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Why do you think it's sensible?

He's on a good deal. Everton won't be stopping him leaving and he's making good money as it is.

He'll stay if we want him to stay or hes happy anyway, regardless of if we offer him a better deal.

I love him btw, but it's mental that we offer players big deals for a club that languish around 15th/16th/17th.

If the deal is an extension of any kind then it might mean we can demand a higher price if he’s sold in the future. I’m not sure on the accounting around it either but if it’s the first new cotnract he’s had since we bought him from Carlisle then it might mean a bigger P&SR profit if he is eventually sold.

Sound mate. Give everyone a bigger deal than Holgate and Keane because that's what some Dutch bellend gave them, that'll make everything fair then.

If you can't look at it sensibly then it's a waste of time.

Put yourself in Jarrad shoes.

He's performing better than any CB in the club.
He's been called up to England squad recently.
His agent has secured him 150k plus per week at Utd if he moves.

You don't treat people you need unfairly, it's as simple as that.

As I say though at some point we have to make a fist at keeping our best players, I’m not naieve, there is a food chain, there will come a point unless we get there that the lad wants Champions League football, however we should be looking to get as many years out of the lad as we can while he holds a value - like Spurs did with Kane or WHU did with Rice - if he stays this summer we’ve done well.

I’d offer his a new deal for two reasons 1) It keeps the lid happy for now - we get the benifit of him and appreciating value, while the players head is likely to be turned by more money, also means he will want a bigger bump elsewhere to move 2) It makes him harder to extract, if the time comes when he does go at the very least we have to be unwilling sellers and demanding a premium to compensate him.

Imagine that’s what the club are thinking, if true mate! ;)
I could have stopped reading after that because I know your not.

But sentiment gets the better if you then

We are crap. Absolutely God awful absolutely 100% embarrassingly 'kin crap mate. You know it (reluctantly) and I know it.

We're offering strikers who score 7 goals a season (again, a player I love) over 100k to under perform.

There isn't one player in this squad that deserves to be on anything near, close or over 100k.

Jarred is an absolute beast, brilliant player. He knows Evertonians love him, knows the club lobe him, he's on a decent wage for his age and when he came back from PSV was very happy with the offer, enough to sign a long term deal.

Everton are a stepping stone to him, make no mistake about that. We won't be building a side around him because 14th/15th/16th/17th placed sides don't get that chance.

I'll be made up if he stays another season mate i really will, but us adding another 20k on an already big wage won't make him stay longer.

If you can't look at it sensibly then it's a waste of time.

Put yourself in Jarrad shoes.

He's performing better than any CB in the club.
He's been called up to England squad recently.
His agent has secured him 150k plus per week at Utd if he moves.

You don't treat people you need unfairly, it's as simple as that.
You've just compared his contract to Holgate and Keane and asked me to look at it sensibly.....erm ok

I could have stopped reading after that because I know your not.

But sentiment gets the better if you then

We are crap. Absolutely God awful absolutely 100% embarrassingly 'kin crap mate. You know it (reluctantly) and I know it.

We're offering strikers who score 7 goals a season (again, a player I love) over 100k to under perform.

There isn't one player in this squad that deserves to be on anything near, close or over 100k.

Jarred is an absolute beast, brilliant player. He knows Evertonians love him, knows the club lobe him, he's on a decent wage for his age and when he came back from PSV was very happy with the offer, enough to sign a long term deal.

Everton are a stepping stone to him, make no mistake about that. We won't be building a side around him because 14th/15th/16th/17th placed sides don't get that chance.

I'll be made up if he stays another season mate i really will, but us adding another 20k on an already big wage won't make him stay longer.
But won’t a longer contract demand a higher fee when the time comes to sell - I assume - next season? £20k a week for a year is ~£1m; if we can tag more than that onto our present value of him then it’s good business.

But won’t a longer contract demand a higher fee when the time comes to sell - I assume - next season? £20k a week for a year is ~£1m; if we can tag more than that onto our present value of him then it’s good business.
Yes, which is why I can see us giving him a new contract if hes still here when the window closes or maybe if we are sure nobody will be bidding this window.

Little sweetener for not lashing in a transfer request.

What happens if he has a crap season mate? Does that demand a higher fee?

He's had a great season, he seems settled, got a new deal last season. We're still crap so csnt we just keep him on a settled wage?

We're a lower league PL club with players still on top 8 wages. I dont get why people would want to be lobbing big wages at anyone no matter how goof they are.

What happens if he has a crap season mate? Does that demand a higher fee?

He's had a great season, he seems settled, got a new deal last season. We're still crap so csnt we just keep him on a settled wage?

We're a lower league PL club with players still on top 8 wages. I dont get why people would want to be lobbing big wages at anyone no matter how goof they are.
That’s the gamble, for sure.

We’re doubling down on him genuinely being as good as his first season suggested.

It would be VERY Everton for him to Holgate this season and leave us saddled with a huge contract for years, but in general terms I think it is a risk worth taking. An extra year on his contract could be the difference between £60m and £80m next year.

That’s the gamble, for sure.

We’re doubling down on him genuinely being as good as his first season suggested.

It would be VERY Everton for him to Holgate this season and leave us saddled with a huge contract for years, but in general terms I think it is a risk worth taking. An extra year on his contract could be the difference between £60m and £80m next year.
And yes, I pulled them numbers out of nowhere. Don’t you dare challenge me on them.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back