Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
35 million for Gordon.... if reinvested into the squad would you be happy?

Playing devils advocate here as I don't want the lad to leave.
Doubt anyone wants to see the lad leave but we have to acknowledge he has weaknesses. If 35 is an opening point for discussion I’d like to see it pushed up a bit but it’s not a million miles away from a number you’d have to consider. 40+ goes a long way in the midfield where it’s needed.

Does the fact that it's awash with obscene amounts of money and is relatively uncompetitive in terms of the title not speak to the difficulty of the league and the sheer size of the task that clubs face in trying to compete?

Take Ten Haag, if he spent £200m in one summer at Ajax it would probably guarantee them the league title for the next 5 years. The same amount of money at United might not even take them into the Top 4.

Brands is back at his cushy job now and I doubt he'll ever leave it again. He tried to cut it in the big leagues and came up miserably short. If Brands runs PSV's football operation as terribly as he did Everton's they'd finish 2nd-4th, Everton nearly got relegated.

Perhaps some are too harsh on the quality of other leagues sometimes but you cannot compare the pressure and the implications of failure between the two.
To be honest I don’t think any DoF or even manager can thrive at this club as long as Kenwright , Moshiri and the rest of the board remain in place.
But so far the only people interested in taking us on are a group of extremely dubious provenance I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.
At this point I am as concerned with regard to our short and long term future as I have ever been.

You’re on drugs if you wouldn’t sell Gordon for silly money to Newcastle. Another Jack Rodwell, except he was ruined by injuries. Will be a decent player but not at all a world beater, he’s all potential now. £35m+ is an unreal deal in this market.

Consider we sold far and away our best player for less than twice that, despite the fact that Richy was objectively far more than twice the player that Gordon was and will be.

You’re on drugs if you wouldn’t sell Gordon for silly money to Newcastle. Another Jack Rodwell, except he was ruined by injuries. Will be a decent player but not at all a world beater, he’s all potential now. £35m+ is an unreal deal in this market.

Consider we sold far and away our best player for less than twice that, despite the fact that Richy was objectively far more than twice the player that Gordon was and will be.
But selling your best young player sends out the wrong message we have no idea what he will become

To be honest I don’t think any DoF or even manager can thrive at this club as long as Kenwright , Moshiri and the rest of the board remain in place.
But so far the only people interested in taking us on are a group of extremely dubious provenance I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.
At this point I am as concerned with regard to our short and long term future as I have ever been.
Couldn't agree more with this bit, and I make no apology that despite it being still relatively early in the window that I am massively concerned about the upcoming season. This seems to be a year where every single club except for us can go out and do whatever transfer business they want to whilst we are forced to sell players we don't want to before certain cut off dates with no guarantees at all that we are even in a position now to go and do our own business.

We go down next season if we don't make major changes to the team next season in my opinion, I just don't see how we don't.

This nothing will materially change until we are taken over and the failures who have taken us backwards are gone.

Biggest issue is none of us have a clue what we can spend after the Richy deal in fact we don't even know EXACTLY what the deal was worth ? And although we've shifted some shyte off the wage bill what does that equate to in what we can spend ?? One thing's for sure whilst others clubs are filling their trollies in Waitrose we'll be shoplifting in the Middle of Lidl !!

But selling your best young player sends out the wrong message we have no idea what he will become
“Best young player” is a very obviously misleading way to put it. He absolutely is that, however it’s not like he’s really had any competition for that. He gets into our team because we’re utterly crap, he’s an alright player but that’s all he’ll ever be. £35m for a player of his quality is a steal.

Look at it this way is he better than Gray? If he is then we should remember how highly rated Gray was at his age and now he’s being outperformed by an average youth player, a sign of things to come. If he’s not better than Gray then he’s not better than a £1.7m player who’s only a couple years older and who was only £1.7m for a reason, yet we shouldn’t accept £35m for who I’m comparing him to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back