Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best centre forward displays you’ve seen? Really?

Of that type yes. He won everything in the air and ended up scoring a crucial winning goals.

In my time watching Everton, I cant think of many more dominant displays. Happy to hear otherwise though.

Of that type yes. He won everything in the air and ended up scoring a crucial winning goals.

In my time watching Everton, I cant think of many more dominant displays. Happy to hear otherwise though.

I’ve seen Andy Carroll have games where he’s won loads of headers. Matt Smith for Oldham in a cup game against us absolutely bullied us in the air and won everything. Rudy Gestede was an absolute beast in the air. I really don’t understand why winning lots of headers impressed you so much, it’s not a skill that’s unique to him.

I’ve seen Andy Carroll have games where he’s won loads of headers. Matt Smith for Oldham in a cup game against us absolutely bullied us in the air and won everything. Rudy Gestede was an absolute beast in the air. I really don’t understand why winning lots of headers impressed you so much, it’s not a skill that’s unique to him.

Well did they win that many headers? And pop up with a crucial winning goal?

His 2nd half performance against Palace, was one of the best centre forwards displays I've seen. It will sound ridiculous but it was akin to our generations Andy Gray game. I read subsequently he won 15 aerial duals, and most of them were in the 2nd half. It's an insane number of headers. I doubt youd find another game where a CF won more.

It allowed the team to break Palace's press, and ultimately break their moral down. When the ball was as deep as Pickford, we could knock balls that would keep dropping for us in and around their box. There arent many centre forwards who can do that.

It's why Newcastle, even with Chris Wood would not flinch at 60m quid. And that's with major injury concerns.

At university I captained the football team. We had a lad who was a bit rough and ready, and missed chances, but he would get chances nobody else would get. He was 1st name on the team sheet for me. I think it's similar with Dom.

If we keep him fit next season, we finish top half.
I was with you for a little but he's not good enough to take us up the league 6 places

Well did they win that many headers? And pop up with a crucial winning goal?

I can’t be bothered looking up exactly how many headers Andy Carroll won against Arsenal when he scored that hat trick for West Ham against them but I’m going to say regardless of whether it was 15 or not, that was probably a better centre forward display than Calvert-Lewin’s against Palace.

I can’t be bothered looking up exactly how many headers Andy Carroll won against Arsenal when he scored that hat trick for West Ham against them but I’m going to say regardless of whether it was 15 or not, that was probably a better centre forward display than Calvert-Lewin’s against Palace.

That's probably fair. When I say I've seen, I mean I was there, witnessing mate.

Off the top of my head, Rooney had a wonder game against Bolton. Lukaku 4 against Bournemouth. Ferguson's hatrick against Bolton.

The turnaround that DCL allowed us to do, in a quick game was enormous though. He was absolutely brilliant that 2nd half.

His 2nd half performance against Palace, was one of the best centre forwards displays I've seen. It will sound ridiculous but it was akin to our generations Andy Gray game. I read subsequently he won 15 aerial duals, and most of them were in the 2nd half. It's an insane number of headers. I doubt youd find another game where a CF won more.

It allowed the team to break Palace's press, and ultimately break their moral down. When the ball was as deep as Pickford, we could knock balls that would keep dropping for us in and around their box. There arent many centre forwards who can do that.

It's why Newcastle, even with Chris Wood would not flinch at 60m quid. And that's with major injury concerns.

At university I captained the football team. We had a lad who was a bit rough and ready, and missed chances, but he would get chances nobody else would get. He was 1st name on the team sheet for me. I think it's similar with Dom.

If we keep him fit next season, we finish top half.

It was the same in the Newcastle game. Even half fit he only came on for a period of time but whereas Richarlison had been ineffective all night against their CBs in the air, DCL brought the first long clearance down on his chest and laid it off to Richy now on the wing. The whole Newcastle defence took a few steps back, same thing happens with the Iwobi goal. They missed the runner because they got sucked into DCL as a focal point.

He just has a different physical presence in that central role to Richarlison and it’s unteachable as a striker, you either have it or you don’t.

That's probably fair. When I say I've seen, I mean I was there, witnessing mate.

Off the top of my head, Rooney had a wonder game against Bolton. Lukaku 4 against Bournemouth. Ferguson's hatrick against Bolton.

The turnaround that DCL allowed us to do, in a quick game was enormous though. He was absolutely brilliant that 2nd half.

As far as Everton centre forward performances go, this would be mine personally. He didn’t win 15 headers but he did score 4 goals.

Not a striker but Arshavin against the rs was lovely to see years ago

It was the same in the Newcastle game. Even half fit he only came on for a period of time but whereas Richarlison had been ineffective all night against their CBs in the air, DCL brought the first long clearance down on his chest and laid it off to Richy now on the wing. The whole Newcastle defence took a few steps back, same thing happens with the Iwobi goal. They missed the runner because they got sucked into DCL as a focal point.

He just has a different physical presence in that central role to Richarlison and it’s unteachable as a striker, you either have it or you don’t.

Stick DCL into a top team up front, he adds 10-15 goals to their midfielders just by drawing attention to him

Yes he was, but from his return in January he was largely poor. It is a very over the top post.
I’m not sure the post is over the top if it’s specifically talking about that game. Over the rest of the season, maybe. You also have to take into consideration the mental issues he had last season that were well documented.

As far as Everton centre forward performances go, this would be mine personally. He didn’t win 15 headers but he did score 4 goals.
the Carrols, DCL,s Lukaku's that is their day job. I have got to mention though, for sheer unexpectedness, Stevben Naismith comoing on as a sub against Chelsea and scoring the 'perfect hatrick'. Makes me happy just to think about it!

Stick DCL into a top team up front, he adds 10-15 goals to their midfielders just by drawing attention to him

I’d love us to be the type of team that could have an Aguero or Suarez type up top, but unless we unearth an absolute phenomenon that the top teams have missed, or being through another Rooney, it’s not happening anytime soon.

The next level down from the top 6 when you look at the decent PL strikers is either going for a pure speed merchant or a target man.

Vardy Ings Neto Watkins etc.

Jimenez Antonio Mateta etc.

DCL is probably the preeminent striker in the second group and will add goals to our game even just from set piece situations if nothing else.

When fully fit he’s a massive asset for us and of course will make a difference to us going with Richarlison or Rondon upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back