Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only positives, is we havent actually signed any of those players.

It bodes well mate. I’d literally rather do nothing then waste more.

Two things happening in my opinion, one we’re struggling to get deals together, but I don’t think we’re attractive for new players either, I’d say players are waiting until later in the window to see what emerges before deciding to come here, if we’re not throwing money at them, which we shouldn’t. Looking at it from the outside in would you buy into a potential relegation battle if you didn’t have to.

How we got around that before was go for the Cahill and Baines of this world, lads who wanted to prove it. Now seems lads like that are heading to Brentford like KLP and Hickey - similar to Cahill and Baines back in the day, WHU snaffled up a young England underage lid from Swansea yesterday too. We just don’t seem at the races in terms of scouting and recruitment structure holistically and are being left behind every year.

How many sellable assets do we have left, DCL, Gordon, both academy lads really - I know we brought DCL in, but you know what I mean. Shockingly bad when you consider what we invested.

Last edited:
It bodes well mate. I’d literally rather do nothing then waste more.

Two things happening in my opinion, once we’re struggling to get deals together, but I don’t think we’re attractive for new players, I’d say players are waiting until later in the window to see what emerges before deciding to come here, if we’re not throwing money at them, which we shouldn’t. Looking at it from the outside in would you buy into a potential relegation battle if you didn’t have to.

How we got around that before was go for the Cahill and Baines of this world, lads who wanted to prove it. Now seems lads like that are heading to Brentford like KLP and Hickey - similar to Cahill and Baines back 8n the day, WHU snaffled up a young England underage lid from Swansea yesterday too. We just don’t seem at the races in terms of scouting and recruitment structure holistically and are being left behind every year.

Yes a lot in that. We need to get better at the latter point, which hopefully is what Thelwell is looking to do.

I agree with being tougher negotiators too. Not only does it help fiscally, but it also helps weed out players in it for the cash over those genuinely interested. I dont think we are that unattractive, look at Palace, having had years of Hodgson, yet in one summer just rebuilt.

We have to be more stringent though. Under Moyes we were frugal. We hated it, but we dont have top 6 money. You regain a reputation in football (or in anything really) by saying no a lot more. We started doing it last summer and hopefully that can continue. If you have that approach, it filters into all negotiations, including salary and length of contract.

I also agree, we will do business later. I always think we will. Ultimately theres a food chain, and almost everybody is waiting for other offers. It happens. We do it almost every summer, and honestly it rarely costs us. The one season we didnt do that-17/18 we had our worst recruitment on record. So buying early doesnt always mean buying well.

I'm happy we are playing hardball. The club offered 4m with add ons for KLP, which was probably a bit low, you might say insultingly low, but maybe that's the mentality we need now. To find 10 lads of equivalent profile, throw in 10 ridiculous bids, and 1 will get accepted? It may be, that for us, 15m rising to 20m is just too much. Theres some projection from me on what I want it to be, but that would be my hope.

Yes a lot in that. We need to get better at the latter point, which hopefully is what Thelwell is looking to do.

I agree with being tougher negotiators too. Not only does it help fiscally, but it also helps weed out players in it for the cash over those genuinely interested. I dont think we are that unattractive, look at Palace, having had years of Hodgson, yet in one summer just rebuilt.

We have to be more stringent though. Under Moyes we were frugal. We hated it, but we dont have top 6 money. You regain a reputation in football (or in anything really) by saying no a lot more. We started doing it last summer and hopefully that can continue. If you have that approach, it filters into all negotiations, including salary and length of contract.

I also agree, we will do business later. I always think we will. Ultimately theres a food chain, and almost everybody is waiting for other offers. It happens. We do it almost every summer, and honestly it rarely costs us. The one season we didnt do that-17/18 we had our worst recruitment on record. So buying early doesnt always mean buying well.

I'm happy we are playing hardball. The club offered 4m with add ons for KLP, which was probably a bit low, you might say insultingly low, but maybe that's the mentality we need now. To find 10 lads of equivalent profile, throw in 10 ridiculous bids, and 1 will get accepted? It may be, that for us, 15m rising to 20m is just too much. Theres some projection from me on what I want it to be, but that would be my hope.

Good call on Palace being "unattractive" at the time of their rebuild. I mean, I'm fairly sure Vieira was one of the favourites for the sack before a ball was even kicked last summer. Now look.

Ok, but why are you releasing classified infomation out from the club that they are obviously not wanting it out there yet?
All it does is cause a whirlwind of anxiety to a fanbase that was united last year.
Who has given you the right to release this infomation? You dont see leaks like this at the better ran clubs, only united!

Can you not rely on yours and your fellow podcasters personallitys and football chatter to keep a podcast succesful, or do you have to be a everton version of SKy Sports News or Talksport?

Classified information lol

Good call on Palace being "unattractive" at the time of their rebuild. I mean, I'm fairly sure Vieira was one of the favourites for the sack before a ball was even kicked last summer. Now look.

Yes. I'm not sure footballers and agents look at things as in depth as we fans do. They will want a wage of X, and will move to who pays it. If more than 1 team want to, they might weigh up coaches etc. I think that's 90% of moves.

If we wanted to make a shift to hungry young players, they would come. We just haven't yet.

Yes. I'm not sure footballers and agents look at things as in depth as we fans do. They will want a wage of X, and will move to who pays it. If more than 1 team want to, they might weigh up coaches etc. I think that's 90% of moves.

If we wanted to make a shift to hungry young players, they would come. We just haven't yet.

This is where my fear sets in that there's something ingrained into the club's current culture which is preventing such a shift from occuring.

We actually did it a bit under Walsh, Lookman, Vlasic, DCL young Henry in his one year here, we had an eye on the future under him, Brands for me was a depleting figure in this area, bar Branthwaite there has been no forward thinking at the club in terms of that market during his many years and here we are.

Wish we hung onto Lookman and Vlasic and developed them here to be honest, yes I know they wanted out, but looking at that context we were burning through managers and maybe they saw the writing in the wall in terms of their development. We need to be a club that invests in, nurtures and develops players again. Moise Kean is another example of failing to do it and he was big money and not exactly unknown.

Argueably we can’t recruit in that area and are poor at developing once here. Hopefully Gordon is a sign of a change in that trend - from a developmental point of view anyway……

Last edited:

George Michael

Andrew Ridgeley

Pepsi & Shirlie
Gavin Bazunu -
Daniel McDonnell ** Cameron Carter-Vickers - Larry Henry Jr ** Jack Harrison - Graeme Bailey ** Valentin Castellanos - tuttomercatoweb ** Conor Gallagher - Dean Jones ** Armando Broja - Dean Jones ** Miguel Almiron - Roberto Rojas ** Levi Colwill - Ekrem Konur ** Eric Ramires - SportsWitness ** Joao Palhinha - RecordPT ** Chris Maxwell - LancsLive ** Cheick Doucoure - Charlie Parker-Turner ** Christian Eriksen - Simon Jones ** Brennan Johnson - Miguel Delaney ** Kalidou Koulibaly - Dylan Walsh ** Clement Lenglet - @Sport ** Kristoffer Ajer - The Athletic ** Maxwell Cornet - Mike McGrath ** James Garner - The Athletic ** Manor Solomon - tuttomercatoweb ** Adrien Truffert - RMC ** Kim Min-Jae - Sabah Gazetesi ** Ben Mee - MirrorAnderson ** Jesse Lingard - La Gazzetta dello Sport ** Billy Gilmour - Paul Brown ** Stephy Mavididi - FabrizioRomano ** Luka Milivojevic - sportimegreece ** Steven Bergwijn - Simon Jones ** Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Adrian Kajumba ** Rodrigo Becao - tuttoudinese ** Adama Traore - Football Insider ** Juan Cuadrado - calciomercato ** Georginio Rutter - BenjWin ** Jamie Cumming - Simon Phillips ** Luka Jovic - Teamtalk ** Otávio Edmilson da Silva Monteiro - Eljogo ** Matheus Nunes - footmercato ** Zaidu Sanusi - Record_Portugal ** Dwight McNeil - Graeme Bailey ** Hamza Choudhury - Tom Hopkinson ** Owen Wijndal - @MikeVerweij ** Pape Abou Cissé - Ekrem Konur ** Andrey Santos - Le10Sport ** Luca Pellegrini - Corriere dello ** Georginio Wijnaldum - psvreport ** Tino Anjorin - Simon Phillips ** Lucas Moura - Matt Law ** Tanguy Ndombele - Greame Bailey ** Matt Doherty - Greame Bailey ** Jack Clarke - Greame Bailey ** Joe Rodon - Alex Crook ** El Bilal Toure - Greame Bailey ** Keane Lewis-Potter - El Bobble ** Harry Winks - Matt Law ** Oleksandr Zinchenko - The Athletic ** Tyler Adams - Bild ** Andrea Belotti - Daily Mail ** Morgan Gibbs-White - @SportsPeteO ** Luis Sinisterra - telegraaf ** Mohamed Bayo - footmercato ** Emmanuel Dennis - @louorns ** Rodrigo Becão - Rich Jones ** Amadou Onana - El Bobble ** Japhet Tanganga - @Glongari **

Simon Le Bon
James Tarkowski
- Matt Law

wham-young-guns.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back