Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatever happens come end of season whether we are in champo or prem the priority should be to sign a decent player who is also good at set pieces

we havent scored a direct free kick in what like 2 seasons or something?

just go all in on ward-prowse this summer
Ward-Prowse is Southampton's captain, their joint top-scorer, has provided the second most assists in their entire squad this season and has a contract until 2026. On top of all that he's from Portsmouth, so is a relatively "local" lad from their point of view. There's simply no conceivable, sensible way for him to end up as an Everton player this summer because the price they would ask for him is far beyond what we should even consider paying - and he'd demand a huge wage as well.

I do agree with your basic premise though. I'd be interested in knowing who the three or four best set-piece takers in the Championship are.

Joel Piroe at Swansea is getting the same sort of goal+assist numbers and in a much worse team, similar age and might be a cheaper option.
What’s he like as a player though? Some players at that level you watch and think yeah he’s ready to step up, others you watch and think he’s never a PL player. Either way they have to fit into what we’re looking for. Numbers only tell a small part of the story.

What’s he like as a player though? Some players at that level you watch and think yeah he’s ready to step up, others you watch and think he’s never a PL player. Either way they have to fit into what we’re looking for. Numbers only tell a small part of the story.
agreed just look at Adam Armstrong for Southampton was a beast in the championship but has been pretty underwhelming in the premier league

agreed just look at Adam Armstrong for Southampton was a beast in the championship but has been pretty underwhelming in the premier league
Yeah there’s loads like him aswell. People pick out one player who smashes it and says why don’t we target the championship but for every success there’s 10 others who are at best ok when they come up. Armstrong is a good example though of someone who just didn’t really look like a good signing at that price.

Ward-Prowse is Southampton's captain, their joint top-scorer, has provided the second most assists in their entire squad this season and has a contract until 2026. On top of all that he's from Portsmouth, so is a relatively "local" lad from their point of view. There's simply no conceivable, sensible way for him to end up as an Everton player this summer because the price they would ask for him is far beyond what we should even consider paying - and he'd demand a huge wage as well.

I do agree with your basic premise though. I'd be interested in knowing who the three or four best set-piece takers in the Championship are.
You can't have a player on the field for just set plays though. They have to be able to hold up in open play. Gylfi never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back